calberry

N400 supporting documents before interview

2 posts in this topic

I’m a permanent resident with a 10 year green card and I submitted a N400 application by mail with a lawyer under 3 year marriage on February 2018. I already did the biometrics and I’m currently waiting for the interview.

I've been a permanent resident for more than 5 years but the lawyer thought checking (B) in Part 1 (3 year marriage) would be simpler since although there were no single trip longer than 6 months I was out of the country for a total of 238 days in 2013 over 3 trips. I have the required physical presence for both the previous 3 years (29 months) and 5 years (37 months) so I qualify for both.

My lawyer said I shouldn't send the supporting 4 documents under "applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen" listed at https://www.uscis.gov/files/form/attachments.pdf saying it's better to take them to the interview and mailed the application without them. She doesn't seem concerned and thinks my application is straightforward but I feel nervous not following directions.

My questions are:

1. Should I not worry and take the supporting documents to the interview like my lawyer suggested

2. If USCIS does need the supporting documents will I get an RFE before the interview

3. Could this delay my application

4. Is there a way to send supporting documents after a N400 application has been mailed without a RFE

5. I have an online account at https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ that lets me "Upload Documents" under "Unsolicited information" -- is that the same thing as sending supporting documents for those that apply online

Thank you!

This is just my opinion (I'm not a lawyer). Maybe someone with more knowledge can further clarify (or correct me)..

1. Definitely take the supporting documents to the interview. Since you've already mailed your application, try not to worry about it (I know, easier said than done).

2. From everything I've read, RFEs are only sent after the interview... so definitely take everything with you to the interview.

3. The fact that you got scheduled for biometrics makes me think that things are moving along normally... I wonder if they don't even look at the application until the interview. Prior to that, it's possible that they're just doing biometrics and background checks (again, just a guess)

4. Not that I'm aware of

5. From what I understand, RFE is a separate section that only appears once an RFE is issued. There's no guarantee your officer will even look at the unsolicited documents section. You can upload it if it'll give you peace of mind, but don't be surprised if your interviewing officer asks for the same documents at your interview as though they've never seen them before.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.