Plarka

N-400 Fee Waiver (I-912) Denied?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My husband submitted the fee waiver application with his N-400 application.  We are well below the 150% poverty level.  He just noticed there's a pending transaction on our credit card for the full amount of the application!  He sent the application about a week ago.  No mail from them yet.  Does this mean he was denied and they're just taking the money???

13th August 2014 Sent off I-130 to London (DCF)

20 minutes ago, Plarka said:

My husband submitted the fee waiver application with his N-400 application.  We are well below the 150% poverty level.  He just noticed there's a pending transaction on our credit card for the full amount of the application!  He sent the application about a week ago.  No mail from them yet.  Does this mean he was denied and they're just taking the money???

It means that the fee waiver was denied and they are charging that amount to process the Naturalization application.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Plarka said:
  • Do they tend to do that???  We're well below the income limit!!

If USCIS determines through documents you sent with the waiver that you are not eligible, they will process the payment and deny the waiver.

What did you send them as supporting evidence in terms of income?  What is the size of your household?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

19 hours ago, Going through said:

If USCIS determines through documents you sent with the waiver that you are not eligible, they will process the payment and deny the waiver.

What did you send them as supporting evidence in terms of income?  What is the size of your household?

I think my husband said they asked for last year's tax return, so he sent that.  Our household is 4 people, and income is $25,000.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Plarka said:

I think my husband said they asked for last year's tax return, so he sent that.  Our household is 4 people, and income is $25,000.

Were you/your spouse getting any means-tested benefits?  If so, did you include proof of that?  Did you include any proof of income generated now, like any pay stubs, employment letter stating income, etc.?  Copies of bills, anything other than just the tax return?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 6/20/2018 at 7:26 PM, Plarka said:

I don't quite understand. When you request for fee waiver, you'll have to file paper version which means you don't need to attach a check or your credit card info to the application. How could USCIS  possibly charge you the amount of the application fee?

Timeline
50 minutes ago, anniesdream said:

I don't quite understand. When you request for fee waiver, you'll have to file paper version which means you don't need to attach a check or your credit card info to the application. How could USCIS  possibly charge you the amount of the application fee?

I just assumed also they sent a signed G-1450 form along with the waiver request---which would have not made much sense to me either, as it would have automatically shown USCIS that they were able to pay the N400 fee if needed  :unsure:

Hopefully OP comes back to this thread to clarify.

My husband said that he sent in the N-400 and also the I-912, and then a week or 2 later he got a letter saying he used outdated forms and also needed to provide credit card info.  So he redid the application and waiver with the new forms and send in cc details!

I was away visiting family for a few weeks, so I wasn't here, and this is only based on emails and phone calls while I was away.  I'll need to ask him to clarify.  You're right, it doesn't make sense to provide payment details PLUS a request for a waiver.   

He only gave low income info because he said you only need to choose one.  I just read that on the website too.

Edited by Plarka

Timeline
1 hour ago, Plarka said:

He only gave low income info because he said you only need to choose one.  I just read that on the website too.

In the instructions for the fee waiver, it outlines the types of documents they accept as supporting evidence of financial hardship.  Not sure why he thought only the tax return was needed.  Check out the instructions PDF, part 6 https://www.uscis.gov/i-912 

Part 6. Financial Hardship  

Item Number 3. Total Monthly Expenses and Liabilities. Provide your average monthly costs for all applicable categories provided.

Documentation:   Provide evidence, where possible, such as copies of monthly bills and payments, and documentation for monthly expenses and any extenuating circumstances, such as medical bills. If you cannot provide evidence of income, you may submit affidavits from religious institutions, non-profits, or community-based organizations verifying that you are currently receiving some benefit or support from them.

It sounds like they didn't have much evidence to go on when determining an approval, if he didn't submit anything more than just the tax return as evidence.

Were you/your spouse getting any means-tested benefits?  If so, did you include proof of that (as also noted later on in the instructions)?  Did you include any proof of income generated now, like any pay stubs, employment letter stating income, etc. (as also noted later on in the instructions)?  Copies of bills, anything other than just the tax return?

Edited by Going through

4 hours ago, Going through said:

In the instructions for the fee waiver, it outlines the types of documents they accept as supporting evidence of financial hardship.  Not sure why he thought only the tax return was needed.  Check out the instructions PDF, part 6 https://www.uscis.gov/i-912 

Part 6. Financial Hardship  

Item Number 3. Total Monthly Expenses and Liabilities. Provide your average monthly costs for all applicable categories provided.

Documentation:   Provide evidence, where possible, such as copies of monthly bills and payments, and documentation for monthly expenses and any extenuating circumstances, such as medical bills. If you cannot provide evidence of income, you may submit affidavits from religious institutions, non-profits, or community-based organizations verifying that you are currently receiving some benefit or support from them.

It sounds like they didn't have much evidence to go on when determining an approval, if he didn't submit anything more than just the tax return as evidence.

Were you/your spouse getting any means-tested benefits?  If so, did you include proof of that (as also noted later on in the instructions)?  Did you include any proof of income generated now, like any pay stubs, employment letter stating income, etc. (as also noted later on in the instructions)?  Copies of bills, anything other than just the tax return?

But they didn't apply based on financial hardship. They applied based on income below 150% poverty level. And the only requirement for that is to send the tax return, which they did. So I don't see how this is an issue of not sending enough evidence or documentation.

9 hours ago, Mishal said:

But they didn't apply based on financial hardship. They applied based on income below 150% poverty level. And the only requirement for that is to send the tax return, which they did. So I don't see how this is an issue of not sending enough evidence or documentation.

Exactly!  I guess we'll get a letter??  

No idea what will happen. I am a bit worried because I sent my N-400 and I-912 last week using the poverty level criterion also and I haven't heard back at all. I sent 4 years tax return though, and I didn't send a check or credit card details.

On a side note, I did the same 2 years back when renewing my green card in 2016. They approved my I-912 without any issues.

Edited by Mishal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.