EliAnon

Fiancee daughter name help

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Currently I am finishing up the form I-129f to start the K1 visa process. I have a couple questions about my fiancee's daughters birth certificate.

On her birth certificate, her middle name is her mothers last name. Though, it is misspelled by one letter, and her last name is her fathers (My fiancee and him never married, under Filipino law anyways the mother has sole custody of said child).

Question is: Does this misspellation by one letter of her daughters middle name matter?

It is what is on the birth certificate, so I assumed since it is not a family name it isn't that big of a deal anyways. So I figured just put down what is on the birth certificate, since in America our middle names are pretty much useless. Also, since it lists my fiancee as the mother, it led me to believe it is not that big of an issue.

Please help with this question, I would greatly appreciate it!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kumar01 said:

Hey,

What's written on your k-2 child's passport as the name? Curious - why is the passport middle name and birth certificate different?

If the passport and birth certificate middle names are the same, then I would suggest you ignore the fact that the k-2 child's middle name and your fiance's last name don't quite match. What do you think?

My Fiancee's child does not have a passport at this point in time. When she does get it, it will have what is on her birth certificate verbatim. What I said in my FP was that her daughters, 'fathers' last name is on the birth certificate because she accepted the family name (sucks, but true). I have researched that and found out that it doesn't matter that the last name is different per Filipino law. 

I was just curious about her middle name since it is supposed to be her mothers last name but it is misspelled.

2 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

My Fiancee's child does not have a passport at this point in time. When she does get it, it will have what is on her birth certificate verbatim. What I said in my FP was that her daughters, 'fathers' last name is on the birth certificate because she accepted the family name (sucks, but true). I have researched that and found out that it doesn't matter that the last name is different per Filipino law. 

I was just curious about her middle name since it is supposed to be her mothers last name but it is misspelled.

You can go back and change it with the PSA for the interview but you shouldn't have a problem when you send it in.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You can go back and change it with the PSA for the interview but you shouldn't have a problem when you send it in.

Is it really necessary to change it though? Will it be a problem in the future for us if we leave it alone? Cause as I said, im not sure about the Philippines but in the US middle names are kind of useless.

3 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

Is it really necessary to change it though? Will it be a problem in the future for us if we leave it alone? Cause as I said, im not sure about the Philippines but in the US middle names are kind of useless.

No it won't be a problem at all for the USA at all. Since as you know Philippine law dictates that if a parent is a dead beat and the other parent is ok then the other parent has full custody since they take care of the child. 

Also if you have any Philippine specific questions then feel free to come over to the Philippines subforum. 

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Also if you have any Philippine specific questions then feel free to come over to the Philippines subforum. 

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Awesome! Thank you two for your responses. So we will leave her middle name alone, and continue with what it says on her Birth certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.