FiveFootMo

Extension letter expiring in over a month

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I filed my i751 May 11, 2017. My Green card expires July 30 2018 after the extension letter extending it. I know I am supposed to make an infopass and get a stamp on my passport but the thing is, is that my passport is past its expiration date as well and I would have to get a brand new Canadian passport which is also more work in itself. Do I request an infopass appointment and ask for an another extension letter or do I call? I was hoping to start school but seeing how the school needs my green card and I have a soon to be expired green card it's really just stressing me out. I would like to apply for naturalization but it's not a pretty price to come out of my bank account.

Thanks

P.S Also, I don't think i'm a Vermont Service Center filer, where can I check that info?

Edit:P.S

Edited by FiveFootMo

18 minutes ago, FiveFootMo said:

P.S Also, I don't think i'm a Vermont Service Center filer, where can I check that info?

I shouldn't post without coffee.  

Sorry we are California and WAC prefix

Edited by jskibo

Timeline
12 minutes ago, jskibo said:

Case number starts with VSC vs CSC

Mine starts with WAC. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked it up and it's just another way of saying its in California.

Edited by FiveFootMo

17 minutes ago, FiveFootMo said:

So I filed my i751 May 11, 2017. My Green card expires July 30 2018 after the extension letter extending it. I know I am supposed to make an infopass and get a stamp on my passport but the thing is, is that my passport is past its expiration date as well and I would have to get a brand new Canadian passport which is also more work in itself. Do I request an infopass appointment and ask for an another extension letter or do I call? I was hoping to start school but seeing how the school needs my green card and I have a soon to be expired green card it's really just stressing me out. I would like to apply for naturalization but it's not a pretty price to come out of my bank account.

Thanks

You can bring passport photos and they'll make you a physical card if your passport is expired.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

You can bring passport photos and they'll make you a physical card if your passport is expired.

Okay, thanks. When should I make that infopass appointment? Am I able to set one up before its expiration date? If so, how early?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It should be inside of 30 days of expiration of your letter of extension.  Now, you might want to try and see if they will do it prior, but ultimately it is up to your local office whether they will do outside of 30 days or not.

1 hour ago, FiveFootMo said:

Okay, thanks. When should I make that infopass appointment? Am I able to set one up before its expiration date? If so, how early?

Within 30 days. Also, your petition is most likely at CSC if you live in Florida. It's mostly dependent on where you live/filed, but exceptions exist where they moved the petition. There's been a lot of false notifications of the petition moving offices, but I'd guess yours is at CSC.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-751 (See 'where to file')

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.