britty

Credit Card Farce !

46 posts in this topic

Having lived in the US for a year now, and working since the green card arrived in February (hurrah!!), I confidently made an online application for a visa credit card. Naturally I assumed that my online application would be smooth sailing and I would be approved for a card with a decent credit limit. Imagine my delight when the credit card approval noted that I was approved for a secured card whereby I have to credit the account with $300 !!! In addition, the card company were only happy to give me a 24% rate of interest !!! Its so frustrating when my visa card had a 25k limit in the UK with regular letters from other card companies offering 0% interest for balance transfers and new purchases. Its so depressing building a whole new credit history. Anyone else suffered, I mean experienced, similar generous offers?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

the first credit card I got was a Chase Amazon card, with a 800 dollar limit....

And just recently I applied for and received a Capital One Card with a 600 dollar limit after getting an offer through the mail....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Lenders are interested in your payment history. If you have never had a credit card or taken any loans in the US, then there is nothing they can base their decision on. I would suggest applying for a card at the bank where you have your account - they will at least know that you have regular income.

And yes, it is annoying. I still keep my Irish visa card, just to have a card with a decent credit limit...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'm relatively young :P I always had good jobs, kept all my bills paid but I hadn't made any major purchases, or had any loans into my mid 20's. I had zero credit. I was then told having zero credit is worse than having bad credit. My mom told me the best way to build my credit was to get a little card at a retail shop like Fashion Bug or Bonton and then buy something, pay the minimum for a few months, then pay it off totally and to keep doing this, stating they would slowly raise my limit and my credit rating would increase. Another way was to get a loan (I needed a co-signer initially) and then pay it off asap. This helped my credit rating immensely. Two years later and I've gotten every card I've applied for, with fairly decent limits. I know it's frustrating to start over, but unfortunately it's unavoidable.

Edited by Leney

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

Having lived in the US for a year now, and working since the green card arrived in February (hurrah!!), I confidently made an online application for a visa credit card. Naturally I assumed that my online application would be smooth sailing and I would be approved for a card with a decent credit limit. Imagine my delight when the credit card approval noted that I was approved for a secured card whereby I have to credit the account with $300 !!! In addition, the card company were only happy to give me a 24% rate of interest !!! Its so frustrating when my visa card had a 25k limit in the UK with regular letters from other card companies offering 0% interest for balance transfers and new purchases. Its so depressing building a whole new credit history. Anyone else suffered, I mean experienced, similar generous offers?

Does your US spouse have good credit? Have them add you to some of their credit cards as a joint user not just an authorised user. That will help bulid your credit.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Timeline

A secured card will help you build credit. There's no shame in it.

You've only been working since February and it's now May, so I'm not surprised that you were turned down for an unsecured credit card. Building good credit takes time, whether you're starting from zero or bad credit. It may be another year before you can get an unsecured major credit card, but if you increase the deposit on the secured one then obviously your credit limit goes up. Try applying for a store card or a gas card in a couple of months; they have sky-high interest rates but they do improve your credit. Just don't go nuts and get a dozen cards; that looks bad.

Hang in there; you can't build a credit rating overnight. It takes time. You can get one free credit report a year; snag a copy in about six months and check your credit rating. Also, check for any inaccuracies since those can lower your rating. Just don't check your credit report more than once or twice a year, since those inquiries show up too. They also pull your credit report whenever you apply for credit, so if you make tons of applications those will all show up.

I know it sucks now, but trust me; pay your bills on time and be patient and within a couple of years you'll have awesome credit.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

You've only been working since February and it's now May, so I'm not surprised that you were turned down for an unsecured credit card. Building good credit takes time, whether you're starting from zero or bad credit. It may be another year before you can get an unsecured major credit card, but if you increase the deposit on the secured one then obviously your credit limit goes up. Try applying for a store card or a gas card in a couple of months; they have sky-high interest rates but they do improve your credit. Just don't go nuts and get a dozen cards; that looks bad.

Hang in there; you can't build a credit rating overnight. It takes time. You can get one free credit report a year; snag a copy in about six months and check your credit rating. Also, check for any inaccuracies since those can lower your rating. Just don't check your credit report more than once or twice a year, since those inquiries show up too. They also pull your credit report whenever you apply for credit, so if you make tons of applications those will all show up.

I know it sucks now, but trust me; pay your bills on time and be patient and within a couple of years you'll have awesome credit.

One credit report a year from each of the three major credit reporting agencies. So the OP (and everyone else) can really get three a year.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Timeline

One credit report a year from each of the three major credit reporting agencies. So the OP (and everyone else) can really get three a year.

That's true. However, that doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't request your own credit report very frequently and that you shouldn't apply for credit willy-nilly.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My biggest worry is when we go to buy a house - we will not get as good an interest rate as we should. I hhave got a$300 limit on my credit card with hsbc and have many offers through the mail in the last 3 months but all for just $300 limits. I use my card sporadically but pay it off on time.

One of the things that affect credit scores is the debt to credit ratio! I.e. if you have a credit limit of $300 and are $250 into it then this is bad for you but if you have $5000 limit and are only $2000 into it then its ok. Crazy!!!!

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

we were told by a credit restoration company that if I add Annie (UKC) to one of my accounts and get her a card, by 60 days she will have a score in the 600's.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

24% interest :help: You will be a lot better off just paying cash!

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Suck it up! Your UK credit cards mean jack ####### to US companies who look at your credit rating, and your credit rating alone. Get the secured card, it will help you build credit.

That's true. However, that doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't request your own credit report very frequently and that you shouldn't apply for credit willy-nilly.

Actually requesting your own credit report doesn't hurt your credit rating. Only other people requesting your credit report hurts your credit rating.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Not true. You can get one every day if you want, but you will have to pay for it.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I was able to get my American Express UK card changed for a American Express US card with the same limit..... and within 6 months I had a credit score in the 700's

Kez

I did the same thing although American Express wouldn't do a straight swap I had to apply for a new card. Not quite the same credit limit but it got me started with a credit account.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.