O.C

Importing a Vehicle (Subaru) Without TPMS - Success!

223 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I am going to import a 2007 Pontiac G5. It has no TPMS. I have EPA sticker under the hood and another sticker on the door (driver side) but I will have a compliance letter from GM. What else do I need? Do I need to install TPMS in my car too?

When should I cancel my car insurance? My fiance is coming over and will drive my car back to the USA. Do I have to add him to my insurance? 

Thank you for your answers in advance! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, fcabrales said:

Hi Invisigoth,

I am in the same situation as you are. I want to import an Elantra without TPMS and want to know if an after-market TPMS would work.

I'd appreciate if you can provide an update on this.

According to what others are posting, this should work.  My husband has installed the after-market TPMS on his Elantra.  I'll post again within a week or two after he gets his passport and visa mailed to him (we just had our interview monday morning!), and after he comes across the border.  Stay tuned!

July 2016 - Started Dating

December 17, 2017 - Engaged

January 13, 2018 - Married Canadian Spouse (L)

January 18, 208 - Received Marriage Certificate

January 27, 2018 - Mailed I130

January 31, 2018 - USPS Confirms Delivery of I130 (NOA1)

February 6, 2018 - Text and Email Confirmation - Routed to Texas Service Center

February 10, 2018 - NOA1 Received in the Mail

August 3, 2018 - Petition Approved (NOA2)

August 8, 2018 - NOA2 Received in the Mail

August 14, 2018 - Case sent to Dept. of State (per my USC account at https://my.uscis.gov)

August 22, 2018 - Case received by NVC (per my 9-10 Phone call)

September 13, 2018 - Email from NVC: Notice of Immigrant Visa Case Creation

September 17, 2018 - Paid fees at https://ceac.state.gov/IV

September 23, 2018 - Filed DS261

October 7, 2018 - Submitted Civil Documents

October 17, 2018 - Case Completed at NVC  (per emails and NVC account)

December 17, 2018 - Email Notification that Interview Date is set

January 14, 2019 - Interview Complete

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also bringing in a 2016 Elantra to the US without TPMS. No problems requesting compliance letter from 

Hyundai Canada... guess you folks warmed them up. Do we need to have aftermarket

TPMS professionally installed as folks report they keyed on the receipt? Ordered aftermarket

TPMS from ebay for $25. Please keep us informed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

I joined as i saw this thread and it is helping my fiance and I.   She has a 2014 Honda Civic Si which does not have the tpms, nor the system where it could just be turned on.  I am hoping and assuming that we could do the aftermarket style as well?

Ive seen Mercs, Hyundai and Subaru, but not Honda yet, which is why im asking.

On 1/14/2019 at 3:59 PM, fcabrales said:

Hi Invisigoth,

I am in the same situation as you are. I want to import an Elantra without TPMS and want to know if an after-market TPMS would work.

I'd appreciate if you can provide an update on this.

Hi,

We just imported our Subaru outback 2017 to California successfully.

I got TPMS in amazon.ca and asked my car shop to install for me. They charged about 150CAD. 

We drove to Buffalo border from where we live (Burlington) and submit all the documents. They didn't even check TPMS receipt or installation at all. It took 10 minutes since no one was in front of us. We got stamp on our application form and that's it. Maybe we we were just lucky?

We thought we couldn't get auto insurance without California Driver license but we were wrong. We got it from GEICO online. I called them to make sure they accept Canadian Drivers licence. I successfully registered my car last week, Feb 9 2019.

Hi,

I got TPMS in amazon.ca and asked my car shop to install for me. They charged about 150CAD. 

We drove to Buffalo border from where we live (Burlington) and submit all the documents. They didn't even check TPMS receipt or installation at all. It took 10 minutes since no one was in front of us. We got stamp on our application form and that's it. Maybe we we were just lucky?

We thought we couldn't get auto insurance without California Driver license but we were wrong. We got it from GEICO online. I called them to make sure they accept Canadian Drivers licence. I successfully registered my car last week, Feb 9 2019.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/14/2019 at 4:06 PM, Bubblelee said:

Hi,

Did you have to pay off your car entirely before importing it?

Timeline
On 2/14/2019 at 1:06 PM, Bubblelee said:

Thanks for the update. Welcome to California!

On 8/11/2018 at 8:18 AM, Orit.d said:

I didn't bring the amazon receipt, just the receipt from the mechanic which states i brought my own TPMS and that he installed it! 

And yes i registered and got plates at the DMV the next day after the border.

Awesome advice. Importing this week did you have to pay any taxes at customs?

Timeline

I just completed the process at Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) yesterday. Brought down my TPMS as per 

compliance letter. They did not even ask for the compliance letter much less the TPMS. Charged 3% duty 

on their assessed value. Payable by credit card. Have a assessed value ready for them and some proof, otherwise

you get a high number.

2016 Elantra SE.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/25/2019 at 7:03 AM, grupetto said:

I just completed the process at Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) yesterday. Brought down my TPMS as per 

compliance letter. They did not even ask for the compliance letter much less the TPMS. Charged 3% duty 

on their assessed value. Payable by credit card. Have a assessed value ready for them and some proof, otherwise

you get a high number.

2016 Elantra SE.

What did you have as proof of assessed value?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/25/2019 at 1:55 AM, Bensmith said:

Awesome advice. Importing this week did you have to pay any taxes at customs?

I did not have to pay anything at customs, only when I was at the DMV stage.

K1 Visa                                                                                                                AOS                                                                                ROC

Feb 23/17 -  NOA1  ··· July  07/17 - NOA2                                                      Nov 14/17 Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765                         Jan 26/20 Mailed I-751 

Aug 07/17 -  at NVC ···  Aug 09/17 -  Case # Assigned                                Nov 16 & 20/17 - NOA's                                              Jan 30/20 - NOA

Aug 10/17 - Consulate Rec ···  Aug 12+14/17 - Packet 3/4                        Dec 20/18 Biometrics Appt                                     Mar 02/20 Biometrics Appt 

Aug 28/17 - Medical ···  Sep 27/17 - Interview Approved!                           Jan 25/18 - EAD/AP Approved                                 Oct 14/20 New Card Being Produced Approved!   

Oct 02/17 - Visa In Hand ···  Oct 22/17 -  POE · Peace Bridge                     Feb 01/18 - EAD/AP Card Received                         Oct 21/20 - New Card Received

Nov 01/17 - Married!                                                                                           Mar 13/18 - AOS Interview Approved!                     ??? ??/21 - ...N400?

Mar 21/18 -  Green Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.