michaelbmw377

Affidavit Financial Details - Working Outside the United States

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Both my wife and I are not located in the United States (we are in Australia) therefore we both only have Australian annual tax returns/ W2's. Can these be submitted along with asset details to prove that we can financially support ourselves? Everything indicates that we need to use U.S proof of income/ W2's but my sponsor (wife) has been with me outside of the U.S for the past 2 years. Any advice and will the Australian equivalent be enough?

*Currently at Affidavit and supporting financial document stage of the NVC CEAC process (DS-260 completed).

Thanks,

Michael 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You are required by US law to file US tax returns from income anywhere in the world. 

I’d start working on Your US tax issue first.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

No it doesn't matter, actually. Unless the jobs you have now are going to transfer immediately with you to the US when you  move there, then they don't care about it. You'll tell them that you're employed and where and all that, but the money is as good as non existent unless the job is going with you. We have the same thing, as we both live abroad. You'll need to get a joint sponsor that already lives in the US who can prove they make enough money to support the immigrant and their household. Oh and also, the US citizen will have to "prove intent to re-establish domicile" meaning that they can prove they're going back to the US. Maybe still having a US bank account? That's a good start.

But, also, yes, the US citizen should have filed taxes regardless of being in Australia, so there are those tax transcripts to submit as well. 

Nebraska Service Centre / Frankfurt Embassy

2016/03/30 - Married!

2017/07/14 - Sent off our I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox (Filed from abroad)

2017/07/24 - NOA1 (sent to Nebraska)

2018/03/02 - NOA2 (Approved!)

2018/03/19 - "We sent your petition to the Department of State"

2018/03/23 - NVC received petition

2018/05/17 - Case# received and fees paid

2018/05/21 - Case# changed -- can't log in with the new one so "we've sent in a 'ticket' to get it fixed"

2018/05/22 - Scan date. Ticket worked, submitted all our paperwork until the wee hours of the morning. 

2018/06/11 - CC!!! "Documentarily Qualified"

2018/06/25 - Got interview date for July 11; but we must reschedule for August. 

2018/06/26 - Medical

2018/06/28 - New interview date received (for August 13th)

2018/08/13 - Interview in Frankfurt!!! They asked for certified translations.

2018/08/28 - Sent in translations

2018/09/06 - CEAC status changed to "ISSUED!!!"

2018/09/13 - Passport received in the mail! Everything is beautiful.

Filed: Timeline

Your Australian income would count for the I-864 only if it will continue after you immigrate.  If the income will stop once you immigrate, then it can not be counted on the I-864.

As others have mentioned, your wife needs to file US tax returns if she had an income in Australia.

You may want to look into lining up a Joint Sponsor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.