9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone.

Maria is coming to USA next Tuesday, I am flying to Atlanta to meet her flight from Russia. She is still having trouble with selling her Resturant but is coming over for three weeks and will go back to finish sale at that time. I need to know what to do about applying for her aos, social security card, green card etc.

Should we file when she is here or wait till she comes back. Will she have trouble entering a 2nd time. Should we go ahead and get married while she is here or wait till she comes back. I am confused on all this.

We met online in December of 2004, I met her in person last March and we got her Visa in Moscow in December. I am very anxious to have her as my bride but I want to do things the right way to avoid problems later. I know we have 60 days from her entry date to get married. What should we do.

Thanks, Larry

well if K1 would be activated at POE the day she lands at Atlanta so then you have 90 days after that to get married...& file AOS/AP/EAD

If you need to travel back you need a Advance Parole to enter into US.

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

She has her K1 visa correct? This is only valid for 1 trip, therefore when she arrives next Tuesday and goes through immigration, this is her 1 time use of that visa. You will have to get married within 90 days and apply for AOS/EAD and AP. If she leaves the U.S before these are approved, she will not be able to re-enter.

To leave and re-enter, she will need an approved Advance Parole, I-131.

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hello everyone.

Maria is coming to USA next Tuesday, I am flying to Atlanta to meet her flight from Russia. She is still having trouble with selling her Resturant but is coming over for three weeks and will go back to finish sale at that time. I need to know what to do about applying for her aos, social security card, green card etc.

Should we file when she is here or wait till she comes back. Will she have trouble entering a 2nd time. Should we go ahead and get married while she is here or wait till she comes back. I am confused on all this.

We met online in December of 2004, I met her in person last March and we got her Visa in Moscow in December. I am very anxious to have her as my bride but I want to do things the right way to avoid problems later. I know we have 60 days from her entry date to get married. What should we do.

Thanks, Larry

DONT LET HER GO BACK IN 3 WEEKS!! From what I understand the k1 visa is valid for 6 months for one entry only (that is for us in the UK - I'm not sure about where your fiance is from but im sure it has sometime to be used within). Once she enters USA you have 3 months (90 days) to get married in and once married yu have to file for AOS if she has to leave again you can apply for Advance Parole which allows her to leave and get back into the USA. I believe this takes some time to be approved. I'm sure someone will mention the timescales. In my opinion I think she should wait to sell the restaurant and then come to usa providing it is within the timelimit of the validity of her visa.

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Larry,

If your fiancee can only stay for 3 weeks, then there won't be enough time for her to file for AOS/EAD/AP and receive her AP. If she really has to leave after you get married, then you either apply for a K3 or CR1/IR1 so that she can re-enter. This could take months.

Wouldn't it be better to postpone her entry to the US until she has finally tied up any loose ends?

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Hello everyone.

Thanks, Larry

She won't be able to only stay 3 weeks and get married without having to start over again with a K3/CR1. To be able to come back again, you will have to apply for AOS and Advance Parole and get the Advance Parole before leaving again. That's going to take some time--at least 2 - 3 months after you get married to get the AP if not longer.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'm assuming that you're hoping she'll be allowed to enter the US on a visitor visa for this 3 week visit ?? If she doesn't have a visitors visa when she arrives next Tuesday she'll be forced to activate her K-1 when entering through Atlanta. If that happens there is almost no chance of her being able to leave the US 3 weeks later without invalidating her K-1 and needing to start from scratch, either with a new K-1 or, if you get married during those 3 weeks, a spousal visa such as a K-3.

The K-1 is a single entry visa meaning that once it is activated you cannot use it again to enter the US. Once the K-1 is activated you have 90 days to get married, not 60 as you stated earlier. Once you are married, in addition to applying to adjust her status and requesting employment authorization, you can choose to also apply for Advance Parole (AP). AP normally take a month or two (AT LEAST) to be approved and only once an approved AP document is in her hand will she be allowed to travel outside the US without having re-entry problems when trying to come home again.

If she leaves the country before AP is granted then although she won't be stopped leaving, when she tries to re-enter the US after her trip to Russia her leaving the US will be seen as abandonment of her Adjustment Of Status and will cause her to be sent back to Russia while you apply for a spousal visa. Emergency AP is available to those where a family member is crticaly ill but those applications have to be accompanied by a doctors letter outlining the severity of the relatives condition. She will not qualify for emergency AP and consequently will have to remain in the US until a regular AP document is issued.

If she absolutely has to be in Russia to close the deal on her business my suggestion would be for her to remain in Russia until that is all done. Then she can fly to the US with her K-1 and she won't have to worry about needing to leave the US again until she is legally able to. That is by far the simplest way to deal with the situation your have outlined.

Sorry for the wordy post. I hope that the pertinent info is easily found amongst the guff !!

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If she received her visa in December then it shouldnt expire till sometime May.

If I were in your shoes, I would just let her stay till she can get her business sold.

There is no way, I dont think that you can get her AP within that three weeks stay. You have to be married first then file AOS and AP. I think AP takes two or three months to receive.

Best just to let her settle her stuff now.

Good luck

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Does she have another valid entry visa such as a tourist visa? She doesn't have to execute the fiancee visa and can come for a visit if she has another type of valid entry visa. If she does not have any other visa you must keep in mind that a K-1 visa is a single entry visa so if she executes it and then returns to her country prior to AOS or an approved AP you will have to start the process all over again. Good luck

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.