Kathryn Baer

Sponsoring Spouse while living Outside the USA

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh, another question, how long does this kind of application usually take to process? From the date they receive it to the date you're able to immigrate?

Met in Nashville, TN: October 12, 2014

I went to see him: March 27 - March 31, 2016

He came to see me:  August 7 - August 15, 2016

We went to Victoria, BC together: October 14 - October 24, 2016

He proposed: October 18, 2016! :wub:

Sent K-1 Package: November 21, 2016

NOA1 Received: November 28, 2016

Went to see him: December 10 - December 19, 2016

Went to see him: December 31, 2016 - January 3, 2017

Went to see him: February 5 - February 19, 2017

*Customs Agents never asked for my duration of stay. Only asked my purpose of travel. Told them I was going to see my fiance. No issues. 

NOA2 Received: March 2, 2017

He's coming to see me: April 7 - 18, 2017

Decided to get married in Canada & sponsor him to move to Canada.

He came here, one way ticket: May 22, 2017

Got married!: June 11, 2017

Went to San Francisco for our honeymoon: June 13 - 19, 2017* 

*Customs Agent asked for proof of return ticket, no other issues when entering the US

Went to visit family for Thanksgiving & reception: November 19 - 26, 2017

Currently waiting on finalizing paperwork to submit Spousal Sponsorship application for Canada.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

On 5/8/2018 at 5:22 PM, Kathryn Baer said:

Oh, another question, how long does this kind of application usually take to process? From the date they receive it to the date you're able to immigrate?

Jumping in late, but my husband and I just did this process (Canada to US while living in Canada), and it took just over 15 months total, from when we sent in our i130 to having the visa in hand.

Timeline
2 hours ago, sarrobo said:

Jumping in late, but my husband and I just did this process (Canada to US while living in Canada), and it took just over 15 months total, from when we sent in our i130 to having the visa in hand.

What did you do to prove domicile? 

*Customs Agents never asked for my duration of stay. Only asked my purpose of travel. Told them I was going to see my fiance. No issues. 

*Customs Agent asked for proof of return ticket, no other issues when entering the US

Currently waiting on finalizing paperwork to submit Spousal Sponsorship application for Canada.

You counted the household count incorrectly.

Your husbands household count is 3. Him, wife, child

Joint sponsor = 6

Dad, mom, children 18 and under, you.  They do not count your husband (adult usc) or your child (not their child and also usc). 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

To be honest for domicile your husband will need to move ahead of you.  He needs a place for you to live and a job or enrollment in school.  Montreal is quite strict on this.  Rarely in my 5 years on this site have I seen Montreal approve a Visa without that USC already living in the USA. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/15/2018 at 12:05 PM, Kathryn Baer said:

What did you do to prove domicile? 

I didn't move first, which is recommended but I was prepared to do so if they didn't accept my proof.

I wrote a cover letter explaining why it wasn't ideal for me to move first (I'm the primary breadwinner, so my husband wouldn't be able to maintain our home in Canada alone - i.e. financial hardship). I included the following evidence with my i864:

• Bank Statements from a US bank with about $150 in it that I had kept active throughout my stay in Canada, as well as our proof of US dollar accounts accounts held through RBC. Both statements had a US address on them.
  • Credit card statements with US address 
  • Proof of US Voter registration (obtained online)
  • Our current lease agreement in Canada showing an end date of July 2018
  • Lease created by me - for a stay with family (open ended)
  • 3 or 4 moving quotes obtained online
  • Correspondence regarding a job interview I had earlier this year (didn't work out - but showed intent)
  •  

I think others have provided similar proof and not had it be accepted. But this worked for me, I guess maybe we were rare exceptions? Our interview was in Montreal in March.

Edited by sarrobo

Timeline
9 hours ago, NikLR said:

To be honest for domicile your husband will need to move ahead of you.  He needs a place for you to live and a job or enrollment in school.  Montreal is quite strict on this.  Rarely in my 5 years on this site have I seen Montreal approve a Visa without that USC already living in the USA. 

So, here's my idea & questions; 

- He could move ahead of time to a place where he would also work near the Canadian-USA Border (so he lives US side, I live Canadian side). Only problem is that it would be very expensive to have two rental places of our own. 

- Would it work if he moved in with say, a family working in the same location (potential Oil field employment possible in North Dakota) or with his Grandma? This way we have our main place Canada-side that he could come home to every weekend. Or does he need his OWN place? 

- And how long would he need to be living there?

We understand that we may just have to spend time apart again but it would be extremely difficult since we're so used to being together all the time now and will have a little one to raise. I can't even stand one night away from him now. He's been here in Canada for about a year now. We were hoping to start the process right after our 2 year anniversary (1 year this year in June). So he would be here for a total of 2 years when we start the process.  

9 hours ago, NikLR said:

You counted the household count incorrectly.

Your husbands household count is 3. Him, wife, child

Joint sponsor = 6

Dad, mom, children 18 and under, you.  They do not count your husband (adult usc) or your child (not their child and also usc). 

Okay, that makes sense. So household size with a Joint Sponsor would be 6, correct? 

1 hour ago, Kathryn Baer said:

So, here's my idea & questions; 

- He could move ahead of time to a place where he would also work near the Canadian-USA Border (so he lives US side, I live Canadian side). Only problem is that it would be very expensive to have two rental places of our own. 

- Would it work if he moved in with say, a family working in the same location (potential Oil field employment possible in North Dakota) or with his Grandma? This way we have our main place Canada-side that he could come home to every weekend. Or does he need his OWN place? 

- And how long would he need to be living there?

We understand that we may just have to spend time apart again but it would be extremely difficult since we're so used to being together all the time now and will have a little one to raise. I can't even stand one night away from him now. He's been here in Canada for about a year now. We were hoping to start the process right after our 2 year anniversary (1 year this year in June). So he would be here for a total of 2 years when we start the process.  

Okay, that makes sense. So household size with a Joint Sponsor would be 6, correct? 

The joint sponsor's household size would be 6.

He needs to be stateside by interview, but preferably by AOS admittance.  He certainly can live with family.  

Granted I didnt have a baby so working for me was much easier, but hubs and I maintained two households until I moved. We married  May 20, 2012, started paperwork in Oct 2012 and I had my interview and moved June 10 2013. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.