Balamban

Philhealth coverage by K1 fiance with a twist.

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I truly enjoy my papa and mama (to be) but worry about their health--they are getting older. I know that an OSW class Philippine citizen can take out PhilHealth on their own--which does them, pretty much, no good (except when visiting).  However my fiancee can enroll and then take as "dependents" her (over 60) parents.

Having PhilHealth can be life-saving to them where--no insurance-no service--go home.  I saw it happen when I lived in Cebu for awhile.  A fellow that had a concussion. He was refused service at the hospital, so he went home and in a few days, was dead.  I hope they will never need to use it, but PhilHealth is cheap, maybe 5,000 php/year for three and it offers great potential.

Now, papa has 1) Birth certificate (I had my fiancee send the old original to NSO and now we have an official NSO copy) and 2) Another acceptable ID, he's good to go it the eyes of PhilHealth.

Mama--has nothing.  No birth certificate, no ID, no baptismal records, no HS record--nada. (she is listed on the marriage certificate) A query to NSO returned what is called "a negative intact."  This is an official document that essentially says: "We have NO record of you."

Having a "negative intact" allows you to go to the Registrar where you live, show 3 forms of ID, and then that gets endorsed by the local Registrar it goes back to NSO who issues on official Birth Certificate.

Here's the rub.  Mama has nothing but her marriage certificate.  So the Registrar has advised to do a "late report" but to do that again, one must have multiple ID's (easier than that required by NSO) and with those, NSO will accept and give a "late Official Birth Certificate."  And, btw, one of the "easier to obtain" documents is a signed statement by her mother and father...hmm... can we have a seance now?

Mama was born on Refugio Island off San Juan in Negros Occidental.  The Registrar at San Juan has no record of mama, we checked.  She did not attend High School, and never voted.  She doesn't  have a driver's license or library card (nor does she read).  So what to do?  Has anyone ever come across this sort of thing?

Please do not refer me to one of those "official-sounding-government-sounding" Vulture websites that say (with no specific guarantee) "we'll get it for you," send us 23,000php.  If they can get it so can we, but how?  I've researched a few and the most hope that I could muster is that they might have connections of the sort that is so common in Thailand--the hundred dollar bill, and  *poof* "oh...here is her official birth-certificate."  That's a lot of peso.  (By the way I'm know sometimes as Mr Kuripot--but then so are almost all other American males, no matter how generous they feel or think they are).

Actually, it must be fairly common that this sort of thing happens in the Provinces.  Here is a now-elderly woman who has borne 8 children, but can't prove that she's Filipino--there does not seem to be a mechanism.  I'm hoping someone here has some insight.

Thanks

Edited by Balamban

Timeline

Start by having them go to their Baranggay Hall and request for a certificate of residence. They do not need to show any identification for that. The Baranggay officers basically will just check if they indeed reside in the address they provide. After securing that document, they could then apply for a postal ID at their post office. The postal ID is not a primary form of identification. It's considered secondary. Meaning to say, if there's no other form of identification available, it should be good enough. The postal Id is good enough to apply for NBI clearance, should they need it. Anyway, from experience, at least in Manila I've seen some Baranggay Halls that offer Philhealth to their residents. So, have your wife's parents ask about that.

Also, aside from Philhealth, look into other Insurance options. Philhealth is barely an Insurance. 

Timeline

Thanks notantifun, we'll try that.  My fiancee did go to the town Registrar, but not to the Baranguy fellow (or woman).  The Registrar may be far more rigid and that may be a good start.

Are there other insurances that you'd recommend?  Neither parents will even go see a doctor so it's only use would be in an emergency.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Balamban said:

Thanks notantifun, we'll try that.  My fiancee did go to the town Registrar, but not to the Baranguy fellow (or woman).  The Registrar may be far more rigid and that may be a good start.

Are there other insurances that you'd recommend?  Neither parents will even go see a doctor so it's only use would be in an emergency.

Then maybe get a postal ID they now have a picture and are accepted ID

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I was just told by my fiance that the post office requires a NSO Birth certificate to give out the postal ID, so it seems we're back in the "can't have a chicken unless you had an egg," and "can't have an egg without having a chicken."

There must be some way, as the poorest of the poor and those more at health risk are the elderly and  I suspect that millions never had their birth registered, especially on remote places away from the cities like Refugio Island.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Balamban said:

I was just told by my fiance that the post office requires a NSO Birth certificate to give out the postal ID, so it seems we're back in the "can't have a chicken unless you had an egg," and "can't have an egg without having a chicken."

There must be some way, as the poorest of the poor and those more at health risk are the elderly and  I suspect that millions never had their birth registered, especially on remote places away from the cities like Refugio Island.

Isn't there a way to do a "late filing" of the BC?  Being she has none that would be the best solution I can suggest.  Just not sure if it is possible

https://psa.gov.ph/article/delayed-registration-0

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Balamban said:

PhilPost ID has a process to gain an ID for those without a BC. There is a whole list on the website

YMMV

Timeline
22 hours ago, Balamban said:

Medicard and Intellicare are 2 that I've had when I was still in Manila. Premium is a little pricey but coverage is good. I believe they have lower coverage levels for lower premium. When I Had surgery in 2016 I didn't have to pay a single cent and check-ups are unlimited, no copay.

Timeline

Thank you both.

Payxibka, I see the list of documents, but for the life of me the only single one that does not require a "valid ID" to start with is a Baptism Certificate.  So I suggested to my fiancee that she take her mama and get her Baptized, all the others that I can decipher appear to require something more than what she has which is only a marriage certificate.  Since you seem familiar with how things work there would you please scan the list and see, if in your opinion, there is another category that is worth chasing?

Nontanifun:  Thank you.  I think mama especially will not want to go to a doctor, ever.  But this is what happens:  A person has some acute problem, a heart issue, start of kidney failure, a stroke, a fall with concussion---and everyone gets together and then brings them to hospital.  So while one of the two would be ideal if they were to actually use the coverage--it seems that PhilHealth is sort of the best choice in this instance.  I will look into the others though, thank you again.

Timeline

I would think Voter ID as it can be it can because identification can be validated by attestation from a relative or other registered voter

YMMV

Timeline

Thanks payxibka, we'll try that and Baptism.  It seems that a few hundred peso donation "ought" to work--I don't know how baptism works there.  Then we'll have 3 + the residence cert and then try for the postal one and then start the "late" registration process.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Balamban said:

Thanks payxibka, we'll try that and Baptism.  It seems that a few hundred peso donation "ought" to work--I don't know how baptism works there.  Then we'll have 3 + the residence cert and then try for the postal one and then start the "late" registration process.

You will also need to get the barangay 

YMMV

i know their is also something called a "senior citizen ID" but i don't know where one might get that.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Timeline

Actually doggie and sam, I found that but ran into the same problem, in ID needed before an ID given.

In this case mama is handicapped and there is a special citizen's ID for those who have visible and invisible handicaps.

It does require a doctor's note and apparently the doctors and clinics are the one that have access to the application form so I'm working on that.

Ha!  Getting an ID for PhilHealth is harder than getting the K1 was.

I did follow up on private insurance, and guess what... provide ID's..... yikes.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.