nyc_jessy

AOS interview - new medical??

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everybody,

just some information first: I'm here in NYC on a K1 Visa. We applied for that about a year ago, everything went just great so far. I had my medical exam done in April 2005 (I did not get any paperwork from that doctor, he sent everything to the embassy in Frankfurt, Germany) and I received my K1 in June 05. I moved to the US in August 05, we got married in October and in November I applied for AOS, EAD and AP.

I received my EAD and AP. And in February I got the invitation for the Greencard interview! I expected to wait about 2 years here in New York City, but for some reason everything went well and now my interview is scheduled for the end of June 06.

Here is my question:

Will my medical exam still be valid by the time of the interview? I had the medical in April 05, so by the time of the interview it'll be 15 months later.

In the invitation it only says I should bring "A completeted medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted)".

I did not send anything concerning the medical with my I-485 application. I didn't send a vaccination supplement and did not receive a RFE. Everything is in the file for the K1 application.

So do I need to get another medical done? Do I need the vaccination supplement filled out again?

Thanks, Jessica

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I think medicals are only good for one year, but I am not sure if that is for filing or for the interview. I think it for filing the AOS paperwork. Silvia had her interview just under 1 year after her medical.

12/31/07: Sent I-751 packet to Texas, the LONG wait begins once again!

01/03/08: Packed received.

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The K1 medical examination is valid as long as it was performed less than a year ago (at the time of filing AOS). You will need to get a Vaccination Supplement (form I-693A) completed by a civil surgeon to take to the interview with you. It's a (fairly) easy process. They may not ask for it at the interview, but as it's on the checklist, it's better to be prepared.

Good luck. :)

Filed: Timeline

Thanks guys!! Now I'm relieved. I've seen the list with civil surgeons for the NYC area. There are so many...

If anybody could suggest a good one in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn or Nassau County, LI that would be great! Just someone who doesn't charge too much for the vaccination supplement...

Thanks again..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
The K1 medical examination is valid as long as it was performed less than a year ago (at the time of filing AOS). You will need to get a Vaccination Supplement (form I-693A) completed by a civil surgeon to take to the interview with you. It's a (fairly) easy process. They may not ask for it at the interview, but as it's on the checklist, it's better to be prepared.

Good luck. :)

:goofy: Quick question here - If my husband has his medical examination in the UK (the one that was required for Packet 3) within a year from the AOS interview, is that okay? You wrote regarding the medical "at the time of filing the AOS" so I was confused. Some entity has the medical he had taken in the UK and I "assume" it will be at the AOS interview, OR does he have to have a medical in the US? Also, we did get his Vaccination Supplement but had to send that off (in the sealed envelope) withe AOS application, so they have that too. Is that correct?

Thanks! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yip, you're good to go Shari :thumbs:

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

This is it HERE, it basically states that:

Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon.

Hope that helps!

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Yip, you're good to go Shari :thumbs:

:goofy: Thanks Mand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Just one more thing: Is there an official website that gives information about that 1 year rule?

Yep Here is the Government site to answer just about all of you medicale questions.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/Medical_Exam.htm

And one from the CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/civil.htm

Edited by blue eyes

Greg (USA)and Yai (Thailand)

02/10/04...Sent I-129F to Texas

05/10/04...TSC received I-129F

21/10/04...Receive NOA-1 from CSC.

09/11/04...By e-mail I-129F APPROVED and NOA-2mailed 08/Nov./04

12/11/04...Received NOA-2 from CSC.NVC received I-129F APPROVAL from USCIC

16/11/04...Receive e-mail from NVC,entering approved petetion into the system and assigned a case #

20/11/04...Receive letter from NVC they have I-129F and assiagned a BNK case #

29/11/04...Turn in DS-230part 1 and check list to US Consulate Thailand.They also asked for 2 photos of Yai at this time.Did not recieve interview date at this time due to person assigning dates left for the day.Will recieve date in the mail,took 1 hour

07/12/04...Yai recieves letter with instrutions about interview from US Consulate with invterview date

24/02/05...Pay Visa fee in Bangkok at Post office

01/03/05...Yai has visa interview

02/03/05...We pick up Visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02/06/05...Welcome to the U.S.A.

04/15/06...Offical marriage in U.S.A.(Tax Day) ;) ;)

Everything we have done was without the help of an attorney.We have not had any problems thus far and will not,I believe.

Lovekindness will enable this life and many more to most enjoyable. .^_^.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Mand beat me to it. :)

I believe the reason the medical and vaccination supplement is listed on the AOS interview checklist is because some people choose to not send in the vaccination supplement at the time of filing for AOS.

So it's basically saying "If you haven't already done it, do it now". :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.