11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am currently working on the I-130 to petition for my wife and i know i will have to send tax returns  with my W-2s in the future for i-864. However, I have a nick name. I don't want to put my real name on here so.. i'll give an example:

My legal name: Jayeshkumar Bharatbhai Shah.  

My Nick Name: Jayesh Bharat Shah

My Legal name is all of my legal documents: Passport, Social Security, Citizen certificate etc..

however one of my W-2 has my nick name on it, but the corresponding tax return has my Legal name on it. 

So my Question is.. Would guys put down the nick name and include a letter with the I-130 explaining that it is only a nick name and not a legal name change and hence i do not have any proof of name change? Also What problems could i run into with the name being different on the W-2 vs. the tax return? The social security number is the same on the Tax Return and the W-2. 

Edited by visaguy99

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Reference the other names section in the space provided on the last page of the form and type Goes by and is known as Jayesh Bharat SHAH

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
2 hours ago, visaguy99 said:

I can't seem to find the other names section on the last page on either i130 or i864. 

It's not on the last page.  Find it and reference it on the last page.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
7 hours ago, visaguy99 said:

there is no other name on I-864. There is a spot of other names on I-130, so how do i go about referencing it on the last page? thanks for the help.

I gave you an answer for the I-130 because the I-130 DOES ask about other names used.  Since the I-864 does not, there is no "solution" because there is nothing to solve.  

Unless this is an adjustment of status from within the US, the I-864 is not submitted with the I-130 anyway.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

5 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I gave you an answer for the I-130 because the I-130 DOES ask about other names used.  Since the I-864 does not, there is no "solution" because there is nothing to solve.  

Unless this is an adjustment of status from within the US, the I-864 is not submitted with the I-130 anyway.

I-864 will be need d in the future to for the sponsor. I am just prepi g ahead for it. I-864 which is the affidavit for support will ask for my copy of tax returns with the associated w-2s and I wanted to include the name on the I-130 so they know that the name on my w-2 was my nick name. So how do I reference it on the I-130 as a nick name so they don't ask me for proof of name change. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, visaguy99 said:

I-864 will be need d in the future to for the sponsor. I am just prepi g ahead for it. I-864 which is the affidavit for support will ask for my copy of tax returns with the associated w-2s and I wanted to include the name on the I-130 so they know that the name on my w-2 was my nick name. So how do I reference it on the I-130 as a nick name so they don't ask me for proof of name change. 

Exactly the way I told you to in my first answer.  Be aware the information on the I-864 needs to be current.  So, you can mostly complete it now, but you won't know your current income, and perhaps the latest tax return information until that time actually comes.  In your situation, I don't think there IS any way to absolutely assure you won't be asked for name change documentation.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

10 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Exactly the way I told you to in my first answer.  Be aware the information on the I-864 needs to be current.  So, you can mostly complete it now, but you won't know your current income, and perhaps the latest tax return information until that time actually comes.  In your situation, I don't think there IS any way to absolutely assure you won't be asked for name change documentation.

Think I'm just gonna tell my employer to change my name on the w-2. The weird thing is that even though I filed the return with my legal name the direct deposit for the refund  said my nick name.  I'm assuming I'll be fine as long I get my employee to send me a corrected w-2 and send it in with a copy of the return.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, visaguy99 said:

Think I'm just gonna tell my employer to change my name on the w-2. The weird thing is that even though I filed the return with my legal name the direct deposit for the refund  said my nick name.  I'm assuming I'll be fine as long I get my employee to send me a corrected w-2 and send it in with a copy of the return.

Or just use a Tax Return Transcript.  No telling how the IRS has your name on that.  Using your legal name is usually an actual requirement with employers, so certainly a good idea.  Then just use your "nickname" on your business cards etc.  They are going to know you are the same person because the Social Security numbers will match.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

33 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Or just use a Tax Return Transcript.  No telling how the IRS has your name on that.  Using your legal name is usually an actual requirement with employers, so certainly a good idea.  Then just use your "nickname" on your business cards etc.  They are going to know you are the same person because the Social Security numbers will match.

Yea.. I check and see what the transcript says.. I just got my state refund not the federal yet so once I get it I'll check and see. If it says my nick name I'll just send the copy of return with corrected w-2. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.