Momknowsbest

A couple of questions regarding upcoming interview.

6 posts in this topic

My interview letter asks for my husbands birth certificate or certificate of citizenship. We have no idea where his birth certificate is, can we take his US passport? It doesn't mention it as an option but surely it proves citizenship?

I have no one to watch my children for the interview, is is best my husband takes them somewhere while waiting for me and going alone or is it better husband (and therefore children) to wait in the waiting room for me? Its a small place and never too crowded.

Finally, I applied online it didn't mention to upload tax returns, my letter doesn't mention bringing them to interview either, but I'm sure others have mentioned bringing them? I think it was a requirement to send them with the paper application but not online application perhaps? Is it necessary?

Thank for some clarity on these questions!!

I would assume your husband's passport would be sufficient. as for the taxes. I would take the past 3 years or 5 years as appropriate. I did upload mine online. They also asked me to bring my marriage certificate as well as my husbands divorce decree from his first marriage.

Hope this helps. Best of luck. We go for our interview this Wednesday in Ft Smith, Arkansas.

I am the US Citizen

Journey to Citizenship for my spouse

Day 1    11-20-2017  Filed N-400 Online

Day 1    11-20-2017  NOA1 for N-400

Day 4    11-24-2017  NOA1 hardcopy arrived in the mail

Day 25  12-15-2017  Biometrics Appointment at Ft Smith, AR ASC

Day 104 03-02-2018 Notified Interview Letter Sent.

Day 151 04-18-2018 Interview at Fort Smith, AR 

Day 174 05-11-2018 Oath Ceremony at Fort Smith USCIS.

Day 1,370 - JOURNEY from K1 Visa to Oath of Citizenship is now COMPLETE!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree, replacement birth certificates can be obtained.  In our case, my wife had both my BC and passport, but the IO did not ask for either.  This could have been because we had a joint I751 interview first and the IO already verified my identity and USC status with my passport at that time.

Good Luck!

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Yemen
Timeline

I think you should obtain the birth certificate. They could ask for it because it’s really important as to how your spouse is a us citizen. My IO asked for my spouses bc and I also had her passport just Incase. And as for tax returns if you’re applying based on 3 year marriage to a us citizen you should have atleast 3 years of return transcripts. And if not I think you should have atleast a few years of tax return transcripts just Incase. You don’t wanna go to the interview and then they’ll ask for it and then have to submit them. Good luck 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.