Spangler Jounrey

London Embassy Interview Checklist

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys!

First time posting, but I've been using your excellent website for the entirety of my visa process and have found it very helpful.

Ahead of my K-1 interview at the London embassy on April 23rd, I have been gathering the required documents, and wanted to check that I have not overlooked anything.

I have on my list right now:

• Letter from Embassy
  • Passport
  • I-29F (I have the original, and the stamped version returned to me by the embassy)
  • 4 x US standard passport photos
  • Print out of appointment email
  • Receipt of payment for interview
  • DS-160 Confirmation
  • NOA-2
  • Evidence which was submitted with I-29F
  • Additional evidence of ongoing relationship since filing date
  • Dated letter from fiancee re-affirming her desire to marry me
  • Full Birth Certificate
  • ACRO

I will also have my I-134 with the following evidence from MIL (fiancee is student):

• Previous W-2
  • Employment letter showing date of employment, salary, permanent contract status
  • Last two pay stubs
  • Copy of passport
  • Bank Statement showing when account opened, total amount deposited for past year, and present balance

I feel like I have been quite exhaustive, but please let me know if there is anything I have overlooked!

Edited by Spangler Jounrey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
  •  
  • Passport
  •  
  • 2x US standard passport photos (but 1 is actually all they take, then return it to you)
  • DS-160 Confirmation
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Dated letter from fiancee re-affirming her desire to marry me Only if you NOA2 was before Christmas, i.e. Older than four months.
  • Full Birth Certificate with Parent names on it 
  • ACRO police certificate. 

I will also have my I-134 with the following evidence from MIL (fiancee is student):

• Previous W-2
  • Employment letter showing date of employment, salary, permanent contract status
  •  
  •  
  •  

Military? Name change? Does your police certificate say "no live trace"? Either have a previous marriage?

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
19 hours ago, Spangler Jounrey said:

Hi guys!

First time posting, but I've been using your excellent website for the entirety of my visa process and have found it very helpful.

Ahead of my K-1 interview at the London embassy on April 23rd, I have been gathering the required documents, and wanted to check that I have not overlooked anything.

I have on my list right now:

• Letter from Embassy
  • Passport
  • I-29F (I have the original, and the stamped version returned to me by the embassy)
  • 4 x US standard passport photos
  • DS-160 Confirmation
  • NOA-2
  • Evidence which was submitted with I-29F
  • Additional evidence of ongoing relationship since filing date
  • Dated letter from fiancee re-affirming her desire to marry me
  • Full Birth Certificate
  • ACRO

• Previous W-2
  • Last two pay stubs
  • Copy of passport
  • Bank Statement showing when account opened, total amount deposited for past year, and present balance

I feel like I have been quite exhaustive, but please let me know if there is anything I have overlooked!

Do you mean i-129f? I don't have that? We didn't take a copy we just sent the one away that we filed. How would I even go about getting a copy of that and a stamped copy from the embassy? 

This process is stressful, I really hate that there is so much random information about it that never seems to corroborate with anything else. 

I'm so nervous i'm going to screw something up for my interview and the whole thing is going to take months longer. :crying: 

x

event.png

NOA 1: 26 Dec 2017

RFE 22 August 2018

NOA 2: 08 September 2018

Medical: 16 October 2018

Interview: 22 October 2018

Visa in Hand: 2 November 2018 

POE: 10 November 2018 - Baltimore

Wedding:  :wub: :

Distance is no demon,

Often I think it can be a blessing for those in love,

a silent, underappreciated blessing.

It will have no power over us.

When you come stumbling to my door after months, with flowers and wine in hand,

I will be ready.

When I pick you up from the airport, the feeling will be unmatched,

that feeling like birds bursting in song from beneath my lungs, 

that feeling unlike any other.

We have to stay strong and remember what is most important;

I love you, and you, me.

The air between us is nothing but a metaphor.

Nothing, not one thing, can come between us.

- Christopher Poindexter - 

24 minutes ago, ALGS said:

Do you mean i-129f? I don't have that? We didn't take a copy we just sent the one away that we filed. How would I even go about getting a copy of that and a stamped copy from the embassy? 

This process is stressful, I really hate that there is so much random information about it that never seems to corroborate with anything else. 

I'm so nervous i'm going to screw something up for my interview and the whole thing is going to take months longer. :crying: 

x

You will not need it at the interview, so don't worry. :)

OP: It looks good, you've brought a lot of extra stuff for peace of mind, that you likely won't need. Keep in mind though there have been a couple instances (cannot confirm if it's something new or just a newbie officer) that asks for an I-134 from both the sponsor and the cosponsor, even if the sponsor (the fiancé) makes $0. In general though, London has always been fine with just one I-134. Something to consider.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 hour ago, Spangler Jounrey said:

No military record, name changes or previous marriages. 'No trace'

Thanks

No trace means zero incidents for you.

No live trace means there is an incident hidden, expired, expunged but the US wants to know about it. So it is good to order a Subject Access Report which will reveal details of hidden incidents.

Timeline
58 minutes ago, ALGS said:

The first thing to understand is each embassy has their own unique process and vibe. If you read in the forums what somebody in Manila or Lagos is preparing, it may not be the same as you will need for London. Sites like Visa Journey will list the worst case scenario for the most restrictive embassies in the world to cover all bases. 

Your embassy tells you exactly what to bring to the interview. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

If they wanted the NOA2 or photo albums and love letters, they would list it. Not needed for London.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

The first thing to understand is each embassy has their own unique process and vibe. If you read in the forums what somebody in Manila or Lagos is preparing, it may not be the same as you will need for London. Sites like Visa Journey will list the worst case scenario for the most restrictive embassies in the world to cover all bases. 

Your embassy tells you exactly what to bring to the interview. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

If they wanted the NOA2 or photo albums and love letters, they would list it. Not needed for London.

Thank you. It’s good to know that’s may not be as bad as it sometimes seems! 

event.png

NOA 1: 26 Dec 2017

RFE 22 August 2018

NOA 2: 08 September 2018

Medical: 16 October 2018

Interview: 22 October 2018

Visa in Hand: 2 November 2018 

POE: 10 November 2018 - Baltimore

Wedding:  :wub: :

Distance is no demon,

Often I think it can be a blessing for those in love,

a silent, underappreciated blessing.

It will have no power over us.

When you come stumbling to my door after months, with flowers and wine in hand,

I will be ready.

When I pick you up from the airport, the feeling will be unmatched,

that feeling like birds bursting in song from beneath my lungs, 

that feeling unlike any other.

We have to stay strong and remember what is most important;

I love you, and you, me.

The air between us is nothing but a metaphor.

Nothing, not one thing, can come between us.

- Christopher Poindexter - 

*~*~*country-specific question moved to United Kingdom forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
23 hours ago, ALGS said:

Yes, the I-129F. When the London embassy sent me a letter inviting me to book the visa interview they included a copy of the I-129F with the USCIS approval page on the front, including their 'Approved' stamp.

Have you received this letter from the embassy yet? If not, then I am confident that it will include this copy :)

Timeline
22 hours ago, yuna628 said:

OP: It looks good, you've brought a lot of extra stuff for peace of mind, that you likely won't need. Keep in mind though there have been a couple instances (cannot confirm if it's something new or just a newbie officer) that asks for an I-134 from both the sponsor and the cosponsor, even if the sponsor (the fiancé) makes $0. In general though, London has always been fine with just one I-134. Something to consider.

Thanks for this note, I have an I-134 from both my fiancee and Mil, who is co-sponsoring. I have indeed heard that London has a relaxed approach to the I-134, in fact their website merely suggests is as a useful way to demonstrate financial security, rather than listing it as a requirement. However, better safe than sorry! :)

Timeline
19 hours ago, ALGS said:

Thank you. It’s good to know that’s may not be as bad as it sometimes seems! 

It's very common for Brits to freak out before their interview, then walk out of the embassy saying "That was it? Why was I so worried?"

The most hassle I have ever heard reported about London was a Middle Eastern man who had changed his  name to a very British first and last name, but had no record or deed poll for it. He had been illegal in the US for 10 years, left, came back and overstayed another 2-3 years. His 18 year old American son was petitioning for him. His son's list of residences was fishy, claimed to live in Louisiana but had no proof because he really lived in another state.

Yeah they can spot a dodgy case and ask lots of questions and for more proofs when warranted. You likely are not that case.

On 14/04/2018 at 2:50 PM, Spangler Jounrey said:

Thanks for this note, I have an I-134 from both my fiancee and Mil, who is co-sponsoring. I have indeed heard that London has a relaxed approach to the I-134, in fact their website merely suggests is as a useful way to demonstrate financial security, rather than listing it as a requirement. However, better safe than sorry! :)

Just to add - I had my interview on 12th, with my four kids and really it was a breeze. I'd brought tons of stuff I didn't need.

They DID NOT ask for

- a copy of everything, just the original which you get back

- medical records

- any evidence of relationship ( other than a very relaxed chat)

-  i 129

- only 1 photo

As my first staff member finished I told him I had a certified letter from my children's father giving permission for them to emigrate. That was not sought but they took it since I had it.

I stood at the window both times - it took just minutes - really handing over papers and confirming you are who you say you are. (I had a much tougher time with a customs officer at Oakland last year!!) Good luck and enjoy!

Timeline

Hi guys!

Another small question on this:

In the instructions email I received from the embassy, it says that the following is required for all visa types 'All previous passports, especially those that show any international trips or previously issued visas to the United States'.

This is a bit of a curveball for me, as I hadn't seen this appear on anyone's lists on this website or elsewhere, and nor does it appear here - https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fianc...red-documents/

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have no idea where my previous passports are, so a bit concerning.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Spangler Jounrey said:

Hi guys!

Another small question on this:

In the instructions email I received from the embassy, it says that the following is required for all visa types 'All previous passports, especially those that show any international trips or previously issued visas to the United States'.

This is a bit of a curveball for me, as I hadn't seen this appear on anyone's lists on this website or elsewhere, and nor does it appear here - https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fianc...red-documents/

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have no idea where my previous passports are, so a bit concerning.

There have been plenty who have asked this and later confirmed their previous passports were not actually required. Some reported they took a previous passport and were basically stared at like "Why are you giving me this"?  I think maybe the thought is if you had a still active visa in an older passport, they could mark it void. I don't think you will have any problem without bringing previous passports. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.