MichaelMiguel

Doubts about I-693, immunizations and physical exam

22 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I’m dealing with the I-693 and had some doubts and was hoping for some clarifications.
(I understand some of these questions would be better answered by a civil surgeon, but I am really just trying to get ahead and see what the options are now, so all the help is really appreciated)

- The USCIS site points out to the CDC for the required immunization. On the CDC site we can find a pdf with age vaccination requirements (https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/pdf/Vaccine-Requirements-According-to-Applicant-Age.pdf). My country’s vaccination bulletin does not have all the CDC required vaccines.

Now this is where it gets confusing for me. Certain vaccinations requirements, like Polio and Pneumococcal have an age group.

Does this mean I should have taken them when I was kid (which I think I didn’t, at least it’s not pointed in the bulletin) and because I didn't I need to take them now? Or, do I only need to take the vaccines for my indicated age group regardless what I have taken or not? Sorry if this is obvious but my brain decided it was ambiguous and is having a melt down trying to figure this out.

- Also, does anyone have any tips on any civil surgeons for South of Florida physical exams + vaccination? I’ve gone through some of the USCIS Dr’s and the package prices have been around $500 for exams + $1500 for vaccines (and that’s not even counting all of them). Am I being ripped off?

- Further, has anyone have had any success using their insurance card (my wife has me on Florida Blue Shield) for any part of the exam / vaccination process?
Any success of getting required immunizations through local department of health services?  Since I am not a citizen is this even an option for me?

- Finally, if I understand correctly I can file my AoS package without the I-693. Anyone has insight if doing that and waiting for the request for evidence is the smart way to go? What is the time frame to provide the I-693 once I get said request. Also, could the EAD process be halted due to not providing the I-693?

A lot of questions but we appreciate all the help!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, MichaelMiguel said:

Hey everyone,

I’m dealing with the I-693 and had some doubts and was hoping for some clarifications.
(I understand some of these questions would be better answered by a civil surgeon, but I am really just trying to get ahead and see what the options are now, so all the help is really appreciated)

- The USCIS site points out to the CDC for the required immunization. On the CDC site we can find a pdf with age vaccination requirements (https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/pdf/Vaccine-Requirements-According-to-Applicant-Age.pdf). My country’s vaccination bulletin does not have all the CDC required vaccines.

Now this is where it gets confusing for me. Certain vaccinations requirements, like Polio and Pneumococcal have an age group.

Does this mean I should have taken them when I was kid (which I think I didn’t, at least it’s not pointed in the bulletin) and because I didn't I need to take them now? Or, do I only need to take the vaccines for my indicated age group regardless what I have taken or not? Sorry if this is obvious but my brain decided it was ambiguous and is having a melt down trying to figure this out.

- Also, does anyone have any tips on any civil surgeons for South of Florida physical exams + vaccination? I’ve gone through some of the USCIS Dr’s and the package prices have been around $500 for exams + $1500 for vaccines (and that’s not even counting all of them). Am I being ripped off?

- Further, has anyone have had any success using their insurance card (my wife has me on Florida Blue Shield) for any part of the exam / vaccination process?
Any success of getting required immunizations through local department of health services?  Since I am not a citizen is this even an option for me?

- Finally, if I understand correctly I can file my AoS package without the I-693. Anyone has insight if doing that and waiting for the request for evidence is the smart way to go? What is the time frame to provide the I-693 once I get said request. Also, could the EAD process be halted due to not providing the I-693?

A lot of questions but we appreciate all the help!

Hello maybe I can't answer all your questions but I will try it :)

- Also, does anyone have any tips on any civil surgeons for South of Florida physical exams + vaccination? I’ve gone through some of the USCIS Dr’s and the package prices have been around $500 for exams + $1500 for vaccines (and that’s not even counting all of them). Am I being ripped off? I think the prices can vary depending on the demand because I have read cases in other forums in Spanish that some range from 300 to 1,000 dollars but what makes them more expensive are the vaccines; For example my case I have my Mexican vaccination card and in Mexico they are free so I just going to take my vaccination card with me, also I recommend you follow the USCIS list trying not to fall into some fraud... my husband and I are thinking just have for sure 1,000 for the medicals.

- Further, has anyone have had any success using their insurance card (my wife has me on Florida Blue Shield) for any part of the exam / vaccination process? I read 2 cases in Arizona, one of the she covered everything, she got a blister for the TB test and the insurance also covered the RX, because that is an additional test if you if the vaccine makes you react with the blister, I  looked for the comments to see what kind of insurance was but I didn't find it :huh: and the other case was another girl and the insurance just cover the RX because she had also a blister for the TB vaccine and using only their Passport and the marriage license as a ID because no one of them had USS in that moment

-Finally, if I understand correctly I can file my AoS package without the I-693. Anyone has insight if doing that and waiting for the request for evidence is the smart way to go? What is the time frame to provide the I-693 once I get said request. Also, could the EAD process be halted due to not providing the I-693? We are currently doing our AOS process based by married with a lawyer and the told us no send the medical yet because  the processing times are taking forever!! and they said if the medical expire or is close the expired by the moment of the intrview then we have to pay again (little less because you already going to have the vaccines), so we didn't send it and we file on Feb 01, 2018 and the only that we received was a courtesy letter from USCIS saying that we didn't sent the medical and the latter just say "wait for maybe an RFE for the medical or don't forget bring there the day of your interview, DONT SEND ANYTHING IN THIS MOMENT... soooooo you can file without the medicals and just save money and try if your insurance will work for you... we don't have a lot of options of doctors the more near to us is one hour driving and the other one 5 hours.... hahahaha soon we think that will cost a fortune!!

Good luck in your process!!!

Edited by MelandJason
color words

:)Our timeline AOS:)

Jan/30/2018    Filed via UPS 2 says    

Feb/01/2018    Package delivered (Chicago locxbox)

Feb/01/2018    Priority date (in the hard copies)

Feb/09/2018    Checks cashed

Feb/15/2018    Lawyer got NOA1

Feb/16/2018    We got our NOA1

Feb/24/2018    Biometrics appoiment letter in the mail

Mar/03/2018   Courtesy letter in the mail (medical not sent)

Mar/07/2018   Biometrics appointment schedule (Done)

event.png

Thanks!

I was inclined to do it without the I-693 so I can sort it out while the AoS process advances.

I appreciate the USCIS civil surgeon warning, this is extremely important. When I arrived I didn't knew I needed a USCIS appointed surgeon so I went and did all these exams, come to find out my Dr isn't even listed in USCIS as a civil surgeon... so now I have a bunch of exams that I am not even sure any other Dr will even accept. Square one.

But we will definitively keep looking for surgeons that accept our insurance.

Thanks again! Your answers pushed us in the right direction.

Good luck in your process as well!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, MichaelMiguel said:

Thanks!

I was inclined to do it without the I-693 so I can sort it out while the AoS process advances.

I appreciate the USCIS civil surgeon warning, this is extremely important. When I arrived I didn't knew I needed a USCIS appointed surgeon so I went and did all these exams, come to find out my Dr isn't even listed in USCIS as a civil surgeon... so now I have a bunch of exams that I am not even sure any other Dr will even accept. Square one.

But we will definitively keep looking for surgeons that accept our insurance.

Thanks again! Your answers pushed us in the right direction.

Good luck in your process as well!

Don't worry you going to have plenty time for the medicals and I really don't think that another doctor would take those exam that already you have, another thing you can start doing is start with the vaccines and have the receipts ready for when you go to the doctor you with time the same amount of money but spare... we are going to do all toughener when the interview be scheduled because I have a serious problems with needles :ph34r:

with what type of Visa are you doing your process?

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline

Here is what the Center for Disease Control and Prevention instruction for civil surgeons say regarding what you are asking about: 

The vaccine must be an age-appropriate vaccine, as recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) for the general US population

Here is the link to the full document, whoever you go for, must be following this instruction. 
https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html

Relax, this is not a race.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, MichaelMiguel said:

I relate, I am not a fan of needles myself but that's what I was thinking, yes. Doing the vaccines as I wait so it's not as brutal to the wallet.

My visa was a VWP with overstay that hopefully will be forgiven once I file.

Yes for example my mother in law got her flu vaccine on november in welgreens for 20 or 50 bucks, soon that is an option for you... or save the money with not a lot of pressure  because for real is a lot of money... I am also doing the process with B2 visa and overstayed 3 weeks before filed... takes time have all the documents ready... Don't worry everything going to be fine at the end... I was asking about your visa because I have been reading a bunch of people from december and january are already having their interviews but because they have DACA or another kind of US visa and they already are in the system you know about the background check (is the one takes a lot of time).

my advise for you is send as much evidence as you can to avoid possible delays, one of the most important is the affidavit support, remember USCIS has already a huge delay in the processing times!!

What will be you field office??

Good luck!! :)

event.png

Timeline

Some of the vaccinations are offered for free from the CDC-affiliated places. You can find out about this on your state's department of health website. Once you know what vaccinations are required for you, you may take them at those centers free of charge, instead of paying big $$$ for private practitioners/labs. 

4 minutes ago, MyJourney said:

Here is what the Center for Disease Control and Prevention instruction for civil surgeons say regarding what you are asking about: 

Here is the link to the full document, whoever you go for, must be following this instruction. 
https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html

Thanks! That's what I was also reading. The way I understood it (and hope I'm getting it right, hence my doubts) is that reading the age group I am at now is the vaccination I should be taking (in case it's not on my bulletin). Example, even though I never took the Polio shot because I'm older than 18 years I no longer require it.

6 minutes ago, MelandJason said:

Yes for example my mother in law got her flu vaccine on november in welgreens for 20 or 50 bucks, soon that is an option for you... or save the money with not a lot of pressure  because for real is a lot of money... I am also doing the process with B2 visa and overstayed 3 weeks before filed... takes time have all the documents ready... Don't worry everything going to be fine at the end... I was asking about your visa because I have been reading a bunch of people from december and january are already having their interviews but because they have DACA or another kind of US visa and they already are in the system you know about the background check (is the one takes a lot of time).

my advise for you is send as much evidence as you can to avoid possible delays, one of the most important is the affidavit support, remember USCIS has already a huge delay in the processing times!!

What will be you field office??

Good luck!! :)

Gotcha! Well I'm preparing the package to the best of my ability and so far the one that stood out was the 693 and how brutal the prices were, so now that I can slowly work on that one as I work on the other forms I'm pretty sure more doubts will creep up, lol.

I have no clue about my field office yet? I'm in South Florida, not sure if that helps? 

4 minutes ago, MyJourney said:

Some of the vaccinations are offered for free from the CDC-affiliated places. You can find out about this on your state's department of health website. Once you know what vaccinations are required for you, you may take them at those centers free of charge, instead of paying big $$$ for private practitioners/labs. 

Thanks a million! This is what I was expecting to hear!

Do you have a clue if I can do this with my country issued ID card? Since my passport is out of status, not sure if that would be an issue,

Timeline
1 minute ago, MichaelMiguel said:

Gotcha! Well I'm preparing the package to the best of my ability and so far the one that stood out was the 693 and how brutal the prices were, so now that I can slowly work on that one as I work on the other forms I'm pretty sure more doubts will creep up, lol.

I have no clue about my field office yet? I'm in South Florida, not sure if that helps? 

Check this link , you can see the processing times.... https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

so you can make an idea for all the process and if you got any RFE or RIFE (Request for evidence) it supposed the process stop and start again when they received the documents that why my advise :) for example we are from ND and our field office is in MN and is one of the mist slowwwwwest hahahaha and until today we only received the Courtesy letter and nothing else about something missing, the EAD or combo card is taking around 5 months and in some cases more then 7!! sooooo take a sit, relax and enjoy the trip :dance:

event.png

Timeline
6 minutes ago, MichaelMiguel said:

Thanks a million! This is what I was expecting to hear!

Do you have a clue if I can do this with my country issued ID card? Since my passport is out of status, not sure if that would be an issue,

When I did this, I was on a student visa. I think you can also do it as long as you bring documentation showing you are adjusting status and becoming a permanent resident. 
But it may vary from state to state, although such programs are mostly federally funded. 

11 minutes ago, MelandJason said:

Check this link , you can see the processing times.... https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

so you can make an idea for all the process and if you got any RFE or RIFE (Request for evidence) it supposed the process stop and start again when they received the documents that why my advise :) for example we are from ND and our field office is in MN and is one of the mist slowwwwwest hahahaha and until today we only received the Courtesy letter and nothing else about something missing, the EAD or combo card is taking around 5 months and in some cases more then 7!! sooooo take a sit, relax and enjoy the trip :dance:

Well, people didn't lie when they said this would take time. Man. Guess I'll take up a new hobby or something.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, MyJourney said:

When I did this, I was on a student visa. I think you can also do it as long as you bring documentation showing you are adjusting status and becoming a permanent resident. 
But it may vary from state to state, although such programs are mostly federally funded. 

Ok gotcha! Again thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, MichaelMiguel said:

Thanks! That's what I was also reading. The way I understood it (and hope I'm getting it right, hence my doubts) is that reading the age group I am at now is the vaccination I should be taking (in case it's not on my bulletin). Example, even though I never took the Polio shot because I'm older than 18 years I no longer require it.

To help out anyone else who was having doubts, got the official answer on the USCIS site (https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements)

"Q. Do I have to receive all the vaccines on CDC's vaccination list for the immigrant population, or only the ones that are age appropriate?
A.  You are required to document receipt of vaccines that are age appropriate for you. The civil surgeon will annotate Form I-693 to indicate that you were not required to receive a particular vaccine because it was not age appropriate at the time of the medical examination."

Edited by MichaelMiguel
Typos

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.