RocksAnne

My Wacky Dilemma

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok folks, I have a really strange situation and I just wanted to get some opinions, even if nobody has had this situation before - and I'd be shocked if anyone has!

I found out recently that I probably qualify for derivative US Citizenship through my father. I have already had an interview at the consulate, and applied for a US Passport. Now I am waiting to find out if I'll get one or not. However I have no idea how long it will be before they make a decision, they didn't tell me anything more than that 'they are really backed up right now because of all the backlogged passport applications.'

But since it's not a sure thing and my US Citizen husband and I want to move to the US as soon as possible, we thought he should go ahead and start the application for an I-130 before I find out if I get the US Passport, so that we wouldn't waste time if the passport application was eventually denied.

So my dilemma is: should my husband go ahead and file the I-130? Am I risking screwing anything up by having a US Passport application pending at the same time as an I-130? (Other than losing the non-refundable filing fee, of course, which is not nice, but wouldn't kill us)

How complicated is it to cancel the I-130 if I get the passport?

Any opinions or wild speculations will be welcome!

Thanks! :wacko:

RocksAnne

RocksAnne

I feel the need...the need for speed!

-----------------------------------------------

JULY 17th 2007

RECEIVED NOTICE FROM US CONSULATE VANCOUVER THAT I AM ALREADY A US CITIZEN!!!

Passport to follow shortly!

I-130 Timeline

2007 May 04...... I-130 packet mailed to Vermont

2007 May 11.......I-130 packet received by Vermont

2007 June 05......NOA1 generated by VSC

2007 June 06......Check cashed by VSC!

2007 June 08......Touched

2007 June 10......Touched (on a Sunday? Whaaa?)

2007 June 12......NOA1 received !!!

2007 June 22......Petition Approved !!! NOA2 received (by email) Paper NOA2 mailed out

2007 June 24......Touched (again on a Sunday!)

2007 June 26......Case arrived at NVC. Case number assigned. Told to expect snailmail notice in 6-8 weeks

2007 July 06.......Paper NOA2 received in snail-mail from Vermont

2007 July 09.......NVC generated DS-3032 and AOS fee bill

2007 July 11.......Emailed Choice of Agent letter. Received auto-confirmation of email receipt from NVC

-----------------------------------

K-3 Timeline

2007 June 12......I-129F packet mailed to Chicago

2007 June 16......I-129F packet received by Chicago (NOA1 says it was received on June 18)

2007 June 19......I-129F NOA1 Generated

2007 June 25......Touched!

2007 June 26......Check cashed! Got case number off back. Found out later it was off by one digit

2007 June 29......Received NOA1 in mail

2007 June 29......Received email notice that case was transferred to Vermont Service Center

I think too that the I-130 is faster :thumbs:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Filed: Timeline

Have you called the USCIS or Dept of State (who handles passports) to see what they make of this? I can't imagine it being a problem, but it's always worth it to double and triple-check anything you do before you do it. :idea:

USCIS: 1-800-375-5283

If your dad is a US citizen, you probably are too. If you can claim US citizenship, why bother with the visa?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...29f8b6ea9f7c64d

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

It all depends on the reason you might be able to claim citizenship through your father. Is he a US citizen? If he was born in the states or born to someone born in the states, I would have thought that made you a US citizen and all you had to do was apply for a US passport and voila.

EDIT - Actually, I think I'll have to take back the part about if your father was born to someone born in the states. I'm actually not sure about that bit.

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Timeline
It all depends on the reason you might be able to claim citizenship through your father. Is he a US citizen? If he was born in the states or born to someone born in the states, I would have thought that made you a US citizen and all you had to do was apply for a US passport and voila.

EDIT - Actually, I think I'll have to take back the part about if your father was born to someone born in the states. I'm actually not sure about that bit.

In a nutshell if her father is a USC it's very very very very likely she is one too, technically speaking.

ETA: If her father was a USC when she was BORN, I mean. If he naturalized after she was born then I don't know how she could claim US citizenship, or even WHETHER she could. :blink:

Edited by homesick_american

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Ok folks, I have a really strange situation and I just wanted to get some opinions, even if nobody has had this situation before - and I'd be shocked if anyone has!

I found out recently that I probably qualify for derivative US Citizenship through my father. I have already had an interview at the consulate, and applied for a US Passport. Now I am waiting to find out if I'll get one or not. However I have no idea how long it will be before they make a decision, they didn't tell me anything more than that 'they are really backed up right now because of all the backlogged passport applications.'

But since it's not a sure thing and my US Citizen husband and I want to move to the US as soon as possible, we thought he should go ahead and start the application for an I-130 before I find out if I get the US Passport, so that we wouldn't waste time if the passport application was eventually denied.

So my dilemma is: should my husband go ahead and file the I-130? Am I risking screwing anything up by having a US Passport application pending at the same time as an I-130? (Other than losing the non-refundable filing fee, of course, which is not nice, but wouldn't kill us)

RocksAnne

The passport application is going through State Department channels, while the I-130 goes through the CIS. I don't think filing an I-130 would muck things up for the passport or vice-versa. Why should it? If you're a really a U.S. citizen, you're really a U.S. citizen and you'll get a passport. If not, you're not, and you're entitled to apply for a CR-1 visa as the wife of a U.S. citizen.

As an aside, my vague recollection is that for adults, all you have to show is that your father resided in the U.S. for a certain period of time before your birth, something like 10 years, of which half had to be after he was 14. If you yourself haven't lived in the U.S., however, you probably have lost citizenship -- although I believe that they will restore it if you take an oath or pledge allegiance or rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time, something like that.

Meh

You should also pursue I-130 route. If you get your passport while your I-130 is pending, you can always cancel the I-130 process by calling USCIS and/or NVC.

RocksAnne

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Anne,

I've actually just gone through this same situation - well similar anyway, except I discovered that both my parents are American Citizens.

The fact that you have already been to the consulate and spoken with them AND they accepted your passport application - that's a good sign, doesn't mean you aren't going to need a lot more proof, but definately a good sign.

I think it's actually very common for Canadians - from speaking with the Consulate here (many trips there in the course of getting my own U.S. citizenship documented).

As you now no doubt know there are guidelines about where your parents were born, when they were born where and when you were born, residency requirement etc etc.

You and I might have some similarities, as we are both born in Canada, if you would like to exchange information please send me a private message.

Timeline

:yes: Thanks all! we will go ahead and send in the I-130, but keep my fingers crossed on the passport.

Sorry I don't know how to do the thing to quote the replies above, but:

My dad was born in the US. The catch with my US Citizenship is that my dad wasn't in the US all the time before I was born, so I have had to prove all the dates that he was 'physically present' before I was born. My family all know he was present for more than enough time (10 years) but I am not sure that the stack of documents I presented to the consulate will convince them. (Some of the things they said to me at the interview contradicted what the State Department has on it's website, and other things the consulate officer said were just plain ridiculous, but that's another story!) It's all down to whether they decide I've presented enough evidence or not.

James: you are right about the rules you quoted. I was moved to the US shortly after my birth and grew up there, so I also meet the requirements for having maintained my US Citizenship, so that's not an issue.

Homesick American: I had asked at my interview if it would make any difference if I paid for an expedited passport application and they said no. I also have tried calling the USCIS and the consulate for information, but I can rarely get through, or can't get through to anyone who can answer me. And they never have responded to any of my emails. I'm also checking the State Dept's passport application status page but nothing on mine has popped up yet.

Trailmix - I will try and send you a message if I can do it right - I'm such a luddite!

Thanks again!

RocksAnne

RocksAnne

JULY 17th 2007

I-130 Timeline

2007 June 22......Petition Approved !!! NOA2 received (by email) Paper NOA2 mailed out

2007 June 26......Case arrived at NVC. Case number assigned. Told to expect snailmail notice in 6-8 weeks

2007 July 11.......Emailed Choice of Agent letter. Received auto-confirmation of email receipt from NVC

K-3 Timeline

2007 June 16......I-129F packet received by Chicago (NOA1 says it was received on June 18)

2007 June 26......Check cashed! Got case number off back. Found out later it was off by one digit

2007 June 29......Received email notice that case was transferred to Vermont Service Center

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My cousin had a somewhat similar thing happened (well with respect to derivative citizenship) This was his deal.

He, his mom and dad were all green card holders. He was 18 years old when his mom filed for naturalization and she actually got the naturalization certificate before he turned 18. Turns out, this caused him to be an automatic citizen. But not knowing that, he filed for naturalization a couple of years ago, and he got fingerprinted, went to the interview, passed the interview but then the lady interviewing him said. Oh wait, you were < 18 when your mom was a citizen so you're automatically a citizen, and I can't make you a citizen again. So he had to file an N-600 to claim citizenship through his mother. That form has a whole lot of cases in which you can claim derivative citizenship. He filed his N-600 just recently to VSC and still awaiting. At one point the Timeline for VSC showed they were 2 months behind in that process. Once he gets his naturalization paper from the N-600 process he will apply for a passport. We couldn't figure out a way to file for a passport for him without a naturalization certificate. Mainly because we couldn't find a real person to talk to that knew anything.

Married 08-17-2006

K3 Visa Started 08-26-2006

K3 Visa Received 03-29-2007

AOS Started 07-25-2007

2yr - GC Received 05-12-2008

ROC Started 02-02-2009

10yr - GC Received 06-10-2010

Naturalization

N-400 Sent 01-29-2011

NOA Received 02-14-2011

Biometrics 02-23-2011

Interview Letter __-__-2011

Interview __-__-2011

Oath __-__-2011

When it's all done, it will have taken approximately 4 years and 9 months

Timeline
My cousin had a somewhat similar thing happened (well with respect to derivative citizenship) This was his deal.

He, his mom and dad were all green card holders. He was 18 years old when his mom filed for naturalization and she actually got the naturalization certificate before he turned 18. Turns out, this caused him to be an automatic citizen. But not knowing that, he filed for naturalization a couple of years ago, and he got fingerprinted, went to the interview, passed the interview but then the lady interviewing him said. Oh wait, you were < 18 when your mom was a citizen so you're automatically a citizen, and I can't make you a citizen again. So he had to file an N-600 to claim citizenship through his mother. That form has a whole lot of cases in which you can claim derivative citizenship. He filed his N-600 just recently to VSC and still awaiting. At one point the Timeline for VSC showed they were 2 months behind in that process. Once he gets his naturalization paper from the N-600 process he will apply for a passport. We couldn't figure out a way to file for a passport for him without a naturalization certificate. Mainly because we couldn't find a real person to talk to that knew anything.

Hi

Actually I think that means you cousin is a 'regular' US citizen, not a 'naturalized' one, but I could be wrong. I think he could have filed for either the N-600 or the passport. I am not sure how they handle the passport application if he's already in the US. I had to go for a personal interview to the consulate in Vancouver, which is the same thing they require for anyone getting a US passport for the first time, whether you already know you are a citizen or not. At that time, they tell you what documents they want to see to prove you are a citizen. In your cousins case it might be a copy of his Mom's naturalization certificate and maybe something to prove she received it when he was below 18 years.

I was also surprised to find out that I qualified after years of thinking I didn't! It is really hard to get information on it, and I'm not sure the people at the consulate I've applied to have any experience in adjudicating this kind of application either.

It really sort of sucks to have not realized I was a citizen all these years - I am sure your cousin feels the same! Good luck to him.

RocksAnne

RocksAnne

JULY 17th 2007

I-130 Timeline

K-3 Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.