J&B

K1 Visa DS-160 Question USC petitioner living abroad

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi Fellow Visa Journeyers,

I am currently busy filling out the DS-160 and got stumped by two questions or section that I am not sure how to proceed on. Under the Family section, there are two further subsections called 'Relatives' and 'Fiancé/Fiancée' respectively.

To understand my confusion with these seemingly easy questions, a bit of background is necessary. 

We are a same-sex couple, both living and working in Seoul, South Korea. he is an American and I am South African. We are both planning to move to the US later this year. We know we will face a few unique challenges with regards to the affidavit of support and proof of the USC's intent to re-establish domicile. We have a co-sponsor, a place to live rent-free for a year or for as long as we need, and a well-thought-out plan to secure ourselves financially. Usually, when people file for K1 visas the USC is in the United States and therefore the following questions would be easy to answer. 

My questions:

1. Under Relatives is the question: Do you have any immediate relatives, not including parents, in the United States? (You have to click YES or NO). I opted to click YES. Is this right, even though he is not physically present in the US right now?

2. Under the Fiancé/Fiancée, I have to fill out his address. Which address do I fill out? The one where we will live for the first year of marriage in the States? Or the one we live at right now in Korea? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
12 hours ago, J&B said:

Hi Fellow Visa Journeyers,

I am currently busy filling out the DS-160 and got stumped by two questions or section that I am not sure how to proceed on. Under the Family section, there are two further subsections called 'Relatives' and 'Fiancé/Fiancée' respectively.

To understand my confusion with these seemingly easy questions, a bit of background is necessary. 

We are a same-sex couple, both living and working in Seoul, South Korea. he is an American and I am South African. We are both planning to move to the US later this year. We know we will face a few unique challenges with regards to the affidavit of support and proof of the USC's intent to re-establish domicile. We have a co-sponsor, a place to live rent-free for a year or for as long as we need, and a well-thought-out plan to secure ourselves financially. Usually, when people file for K1 visas the USC is in the United States and therefore the following questions would be easy to answer. 

My questions:

1. Under Relatives is the question: Do you have any immediate relatives, not including parents, in the United States? (You have to click YES or NO). I opted to click YES. Is this right, even though he is not physically present in the US right now?

2. Under the Fiancé/Fiancée, I have to fill out his address. Which address do I fill out? The one where we will live for the first year of marriage in the States? Or the one we live at right now in Korea? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Are you the beneficiary or petitioner?

For question
1) the answer should be no since it is related to you (beneficiary). Petitioner is not your relative. Unless you are having other immediate relative there, you can answer yes for this. 

2) May I know which part is it? You should at least provide the part for others to help you. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
3 hours ago, Perfect two 💑 said:

Are you the beneficiary or petitioner?

For question
1) the answer should be no since it is related to you (beneficiary). Petitioner is not your relative. Unless you are having other immediate relative there, you can answer yes for this. 

2) May I know which part is it? You should at least provide the part for others to help you. 

@Perfect two 💑 Sorry if I wasn't explicit or more clear in my post. I am the beneficiary. It is the beneficiary who has to fill out the DS-160.

About the first question that I asked about: The help function on the website (located just next to the question I am referring to) defines relatives as follows:

"Immediate Relatives Means fiancé/fiancée, spouse (husband/wife), child (son/daughter), or sibling (brother/sister)."

The question asks: "Do you have any immediate relatives, not including parents, in the United States?" By that definition, the petitioner, my fiance is my relative, but I am struggling with whether to say yes because of his physical address at this moment in time. 

About the second question. It is located under Family and then you click on Fiance/Fiancee. The problem is that the USC lives outside the US  

He's not in the USA so the answer is "no". Unless you have any other relatives there. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.