zeljuu

NVC Stage - Maiden Name on Beneficiary Foreign Passport

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

One question that's unclear to me is if it's necessary for my wife (the beneficiary) to update their foreign passport to reflect the name change that took place when we got married as that's what is reflected on the wedding certificate and the I-130 petition. Reading through some other comments I've seen this may be a gray area where you don't technically have to but it may be a good idea, just wanted to get other opinions and hear the pros and cons if there are any. 

I am at the stage where the I-130 has just recently been approved so I am waiting on confirmation of the NVC recieving the petition then providing a Case Number and IIN. As such I'm trying to prep the requisite documents for the IV/AOS packages and the packet my wife will need to bring with her to the eventual interview.

And my apologies if this is a beaten to death topic, I did a search on the forums and didn't find any exact threads addressing this in depth. Thanks in Advance!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, ZakMrak said:

Hi All,

One question that's unclear to me is if it's necessary for my wife (the beneficiary) to update their foreign passport to reflect the name change that took place when we got married as that's what is reflected on the wedding certificate and the I-130 petition. Reading through some other comments I've seen this may be a gray area where you don't technically have to but it may be a good idea, just wanted to get other opinions and hear the pros and cons if there are any. 

I am at the stage where the I-130 has just recently been approved so I am waiting on confirmation of the NVC recieving the petition then providing a Case Number and IIN. As such I'm trying to prep the requisite documents for the IV/AOS packages and the packet my wife will need to bring with her to the eventual interview.

And my apologies if this is a beaten to death topic, I did a search on the forums and didn't find any exact threads addressing this in depth. Thanks in Advance!

The visa and green card will be issued in the name on the passport.  So, if that is not the name she plans to use going forward, a new passport is in order BEFORE the interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

5 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The visa and green card will be issued in the name on the passport.  So, if that is not the name she plans to use going forward, a new passport is in order BEFORE the interview.

A copy of the passport is needed with the IV package so I am looking to get this done even before filing anything with the NVC.

Otherwise, keeping the maiden name or likewise updating it doesn't have other implications with complicating the processing of the forms and/or interview?

Timeline
33 minutes ago, ZakMrak said:

A copy of the passport is needed with the IV package so I am looking to get this done even before filing anything with the NVC.

Otherwise, keeping the maiden name or likewise updating it doesn't have other implications with complicating the processing of the forms and/or interview?

Get the copy of the current passport in case you need to submit it before the new one is issued.  Updating is not a problem as long as it is done BEFORE the interview.

What name did you use on the I-130?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline

As much as I did my research, maiden name and married name can be different.

I filled in I-130 with my married name and I do have some documents (bank card etc) with my married name already, although my current passport is still with my maiden name. For various logistical reasons its not reasonable for me to change my passport yet. I plan to change it just before interview. Normal time frame to get new passport is couple of weeks for me but when I pay extra to expedite the process, I will have it in a day or two.

42 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Get the copy of the current passport in case you need to submit it before the new one is issued.  Updating is not a problem as long as it is done BEFORE the interview.

What name did you use on the I-130?

Understood, I have a copy of the current passport at hand already. Thank you for the info!

I used the married/updated name on the I-130. Though there are sections both on the I-130 form as well as on the marriage certificate where the maiden name is designated. The foreign spouse passport wasn't required to be packed in with the petition documents.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, ZakMrak said:

Understood, I have a copy of the current passport at hand already. Thank you for the info!

I used the married/updated name on the I-130. Though there are sections both on the I-130 form as well as on the marriage certificate where the maiden name is designated. The foreign spouse passport wasn't required to be packed in with the petition documents.

All is well.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.