jennylo87

NVC Checklist for Same Item

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I received a checklist from NVC about a month ago saying my husband's Cyprus police certificate was missing (I know it was included in our original package, as I made a complete copy of our AOS/civil docs package). In any case, I sent the Cyprus police doc again, with our barcode and a cover letter I typed. I called NVC and got confirmation last week that they received it.

This morning, I got an email containing a checklist for the same document- the police certificate again. It was dated March 19th, so they must have already reviewed the document I sent. 

I will call this morning and ask to speak to a supervisor/be put through review, but could anyone advise on what could possibly be the issue? I'm certain it's the correct document, before we left Cyprus, my husband went down to the police station and told them the document he needed. It's also within the date range. I'm at a total loss. It is in Greek, which is the language of the consulate in Cyprus where he will have his interview, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Feeling pretty defeated right now! Would be helpful if anyone can post about a similar experience.

Thanks.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It could very well be the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.  If the receipt of docs was within a few days of the notice, that's probably it.  You'll only know when you call.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks. I just spoke to NVC and requested a supervisor review. All the representative could tell me was the description of the document (must be from Republic of Cyprus, seal, signed, etc...). She was reading off a checklist of some sort it seemed and mentioned that a receipt of payment needed to be included. I never heard of such a thing. Anyway, hoping supervisor review won't take that long. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just wanted to update in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation. I requested a supervisor review 3/20 and received a call back on 3/27. The supervisor I spoke with said she didn't have the case file in front of her, but she requested it be pulled and send to her. She told me over the phone that the police certificate Cyprus issues is only valid for two months. No one ever mentioned this to me, nor was in stated on the Checklist! I would have never known! When they received and processed it, it was over two months old (we had a massive delay with our AOS/Docs package in-transit we sent from abroad). In the meantime, we had already gotten a new police certificate in English (thinking it might be the translation that was the issue), and already sent it out a week before speaking to the supervisor. The supervisor said she'd pull the file and check it over, and in the meantime, I did get confirmation that NVC received our mail (the updated PC). I just called NVC this morning and got good news- case complete! We are in line for an interview! So, in my case, both supervisor review and the reviewing of the document were well under the 4-8 weeks they always say to anticipate. The turn around has been about a week or two. 

• 7 months later...

Thanks for posting this info, I am a British citizen living in Cyprus. Our case is with the NVC and we will be submitting documents soon. I have a Cyprus Police certificate issued last month (Oct 18) although I suspect we will be submitting the documents in January though. It is bizarre as nowhere on the NVC website, Cyprus Police website or the certificate itself does it state the document has a two months validity. Anyway to be on the safe side, I will order a new certificate in the coming to weeks. Thanks again for this post. 

If he hasnt been back to Cyprus then he didnt need a newer police certificate.  Its something I would have argued since it clearly states that on the NVC website. 

On the other hand if he still lives there then yes it would be required and i hope it says it has a time limit on the NVC website. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
On 12/2/2018 at 8:21 AM, NikLR said:

If he hasnt been back to Cyprus then he didnt need a newer police certificate.  Its something I would have argued since it clearly states that on the NVC website. 

On the other hand if he still lives there then yes it would be required and i hope it says it has a time limit on the NVC website. 

Even if it was expired? 

2 hours ago, jennylo87 said:

Even if it was expired? 

Yes.  

Important: Police certificates expire after one year, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than one year ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-5-collect-supporting-documents.html

Edited by NikLR
Small phone keyboards are the devil

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

It seems as if it was a mismatch of information.

The NVC supervisor I spoke with stated that the police certificate issued from Cyprus has a validity of only two months (if they knew this, it should be posted to the website?) and the issuing police authority confirmed this after the request for an updated document. This must trump what is listed on the website, if the document has a stated validity date, which has passed?  My husband also had a UK police certificate which was valid for the standard year...no issue there. A quick search indicates that Malaysian police certificates only have a validity of 6 months, it seems there are country-specific regulations. In any case, I thought it prudent to comply with the RFE. I already had an updated certificate at the embassy and cc was the following day. 

I also advised my husband to get an updated certificate when he flew back to Cyprus for his interview to avoid any other 'expiration' complications (it would have been past the two months). He was approved on the spot. To OET, all the best with your journey. The Nicosia embassy was a breeze! 

Edited by jennylo87

If he goes back to cyprus thrn he needs a new certificate. If someone doesnt then they should not. Again I'd argue it personally but its not my life. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.