barashka

Interview related question

15 posts in this topic

On the embassy website, the final bullet point, states this:

12. Financial documents from a US citizen petitioner:

-Copy of original, signed tax returns for the last year (both W-2 and 1040). If copies of tax returns are unavailable, provide transcripts from the IRS.

-Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support)

-Bank statements

-Employment letter

What dates do the bank statements and the employment letter have to be? Do they have to be within a time frame before the interview? And also, what do they mean by original, signed tax returns? Where do I go those original, signed tax returns (both W-2 and 1040)? Finally, does the DS-160 we completed in February 2018 expire?

Any advice or information will be gladly appreciated! Thank you. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, visaquestions said:

On the embassy website, the final bullet point, states this:

12. Financial documents from a US citizen petitioner:

-Copy of original, signed tax returns for the last year (both W-2 and 1040). If copies of tax returns are unavailable, provide transcripts from the IRS.

-Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support)

-Bank statements

-Employment letter

What dates do the bank statements and the employment letter have to be? Do they have to be within a time frame before the interview? And also, what do they mean by original, signed tax returns? Where do I go those original, signed tax returns (both W-2 and 1040)? Finally, does the DS-160 we completed in February 2018 expire?

Any advice or information will be gladly appreciated! Thank you. ;)

Most people take the transcript route for taxes.  Just Google "IRS Tax Transcript", and you should find the IRS site to request the transcripts.  As to the back statements, I know for our interview, I just provided the last three months.  As to the employment letter, I know I just used the most current letter my company provided.  Lastly, I do not believe the DS-160 expires, but others may know more.

Good Luck! 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

For bank statements, provide a range that covers ~ a year (a statement from every third month, for example). USCIS wants to see that you have been financially stable, and didn't deposit large sums of money last minute.

Ask your HR for a letter. It should include the duration of employment and your salary.

Obviously, W-2 is not signed, but your tax return form is. They want to see both. According to the phrasing, tax transcripts are the second option.

Your goal here is to demonstrate financial stability and independence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Addition to Bill's good advice above:  if you have a choice on the IRS site, pick "return transcript."  This shows the consular officer the full information from your tax return.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, implife said:

For bank statements, provide a range that covers ~ a year (a statement from every third month, for example). USCIS wants to see that you have been financially stable, and didn't deposit large sums of money last minute.

Ask your HR for a letter. It should include the duration of employment and your salary.

Obviously, W-2 is not signed, but your tax return form is. They want to see both. According to the phrasing, tax transcripts are the second option.

Your goal here is to demonstrate financial stability and independence.

Instead of the copies of the original, signed tax returns, I can't just opt to go with the transcript, you're saying?

When i go to the IRS website for a transcript, the latest year available is 2017. This may sound like a silly question but 2017 is indeed, the "last year" they mention on the embassy website that i mentioned above, right? 

Also, until how recent should my bank statements be? If our interview is on the 31st of May, until when should the bank statements show?

Sorry for asking so many questions. :D

1 hour ago, visaquestions said:

Instead of the copies of the original, signed tax returns, I can't just opt to go with the transcript, you're saying?

When i go to the IRS website for a transcript, the latest year available is 2017. This may sound like a silly question but 2017 is indeed, the "last year" they mention on the embassy website that i mentioned above, right? 

Also, until how recent should my bank statements be? If our interview is on the 31st of May, until when should the bank statements show?

Sorry for asking so many questions. :D

You may try the transcripts, but I don't see why you wouldn't bring a signed 1040, too. 

Yes, 2017 tax documents.

Assuming you have monthly statements, bring several from between the time you applied to the one from April.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

PS Congrats on getting the interview scheduled! In Moscow, it's a miracle these days, from what I hear.

Edited by implife

31 minutes ago, implife said:

You may try the transcripts, but I don't see why you wouldn't bring a signed 1040, too. 

Yes, 2017 tax documents.

Assuming you have monthly statements, bring several from between the time you applied to the one from April.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

PS Congrats on getting the interview scheduled! In Moscow, it's a miracle these days, from what I hear.

Oh, okay, 2017 would be the right one!

I would have the signed 1040, right? I have my W-2, as well.

Thank you so much, I appreciate it! It felt good to finally have one scheduled, yes. ^_^

2018 tax documents wouldn't even be available, it would be impossible, wouldn't it? :D

I feel so silly.

5 minutes ago, implife said:

Are you going to the interview together?

I will not be able to attend! However, I will most likely go there, once she gets her visa so that we can come back together. ^_^

On 5/2/2018 at 8:16 PM, implife said:

Are you going to the interview together?

Off topic, but...

On the I-134:

1. Value of my other personal property

What should i put for this? I do not own a car or a house under my name. Would "None" be a good answer?

11 minutes ago, implife said:

I would say you own something, so it is worth something, even if it's just a couple of thousand dollars. It's like an estimate you would do when insuring your property when you're shipping it or for other reasons.

I live at home with my family. I still haven't bought a car under my own name. :unsure:

4 minutes ago, implife said:

I understand, but you're not surrounded by empty walls in your room, right? 

LOL. I own a Macbook, iPhone, and an Apple Watch. Those are probably the most expensive things i own, I would say.

Edited by barashka

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.