ILikeBread

Joint sponsors I864 questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey fellow journeyers, 

Our co sponsor is married but makes above 125% of the poverty line with her own income. Does she still need to have her husband fill a I864 too? 

Also does she includes her kids and husband as dependents in the form? (Kids are really young and husband is employed) 

We are all a bit confused now, sorry if those are rookie questions 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

If you’re using a cosponsor who claims a husband kids as dependents, you have to look at the list for a household of however many people that is plus your beneficiary. So if she has two kids, you need to be at the income for the cosponsor, plus the husband, plus two kids, plus your beneficiary and that is a household of 5 people. Look at the list and make sure she makes enough or they’ll reject it. Unless she makes a ton of money, I would find another cosponsor. 

The minor children and husband must be included in the household size. Barring other dependents, it sounds like her household size is 5: her, the intending immigrant, her spouse, and her 2 children.

As such, she needs to make at least $36,775/year.

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Edit: Her husband should probably fill out an I-864A. It's not unusual for them to request that for a spouse of a joint sponsor. It's not required either, though...but then it risks getting an RFE.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, Etxebunti said:

Hey fellow journeyers, 

Our co sponsor is married but makes above 125% of the poverty line with her own income. Does she still need to have her husband fill a I864 too? 

Also does she includes her kids and husband as dependents in the form? (Kids are really young and husband is employed) 

We are all a bit confused now, sorry if those are rookie questions 

These questions indicate you have not yet studied the I-864 instructions and are not reading the form itself carefully, interpreting literally and answering accurately.

It is best practice to have the joint tax filing spouse provide an I-864a as a "household member".  Of course everybody in the household is counted as part of the household.  All unmarried children under 21 are counted no matter where they live.  Start by becoming an A-Student of the INSTRUCTIONS.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline
13 hours ago, pushbrk said:

These questions indicate you have not yet studied the I-864 instructions and are not reading the form itself carefully, interpreting literally and answering accurately...

...Start by becoming an A-Student of the INSTRUCTIONS.

Yes I spent a couple hours re-reading it all after work yesterday. 

We have asked our joint sponsor if they could fill the I864a as well.

Thanks for your answers guys! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.