Royce91

K1 interview/medical London experience (2018)

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, Royce91 said:

We went through my vaccinations and my medical history. I needed two vaccinations for the vaccinations requirement- she gave me the option of getting them there or deferring until I get to the U.S as k1 applicants are not required to fulfill this requirement now. I chose to defer and was given a paper to give to the officials in the US when I apply for my Adjustment of Status. 

You will have to pay a USCIS approved doctor (Civil Surgeon) to sign off on your vaccinations since you didn't get signed off at the visa medical. Some are pricey and some insist on doing another full medical exam. Call around to all of the ones on the list and ask prices before picking one.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You will have to pay a USCIS approved doctor (Civil Surgeon) to sign off on your vaccinations since you didn't get signed off at the visa medical. Some are pricey and some insist on doing another full medical exam. Call around to all of the ones on the list and ask prices before picking one.

We haven’t really looked past getting married yet 🙈 just got so excited about getting approved. I already got one of the Vaccines I needed from my GP for free (it would have cost me £45 at Knightsbridge ) I got a little booklet which the nurse signed to say I received it, would that be good enough? 🤔 the only other vaccine I needed was for flu and I don’t qualify according to my GP.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Royce91 said:

We haven’t really looked past getting married yet 🙈 just got so excited about getting approved. I already got one of the Vaccines I needed from my GP for free (it would have cost me £45 at Knightsbridge ) I got a little booklet which the nurse signed to say I received it, would that be good enough? 🤔 the only other vaccine I needed was for flu and I don’t qualify according to my GP.

You can take the thing from your doctor and any other shot records to the civil surgeon and he will copy it all to a new form. If you're lucky, you might find one who will charge about $50. Unlucky and you'll pay $300 and do your medical over. Clear it up on the phone before you make an appointment. You do not need a new medical, only your shots copied.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 3:20 PM, Royce91 said:

Hey guys, from the time we sent out our initial petition this website has been amazing at helping us know what’s going on and everyone else’s experience. It has helped ALOT and it’s amazing that we can all come together and help each other out going through the same experiences!! Thanks so much guys! I thought I could do my bit and write about my experience with the K1 medical and interview in London.

MEDICAL

scheduling my medical was pretty easy and straight forward. I was able to call and book for about two weeks later.

The place is close to Bond Street station and was easy to find.

My experience here was very nice which was very important because it put me at ease and I was optimistic about the whole k1 experience from then on. I was expecting stern, robotic people who can deny you if you say or do something wrong and then your whole visa will be denied! 🙈. 

When i arrived (early), I checked in at the reception, the receptionist was very nice and gave me a form to fill in which asked about my medical history. When I took that back she gave me a little cup to pee in. And then I was asked to wait in the waiting area where they were about 10-15 other anxious looking people! The waiting area has water and some magazines and was comfortable. 

After about 10 minutes a very friendly man called me in for the chest X-ray. This took about 5-10 minutes and I was told he was happy with my X-ray. I was asked to go back out into the waiting area. After about 15 minutes a nurse called me up. She was friendly too but not as nice as the X-ray guy. We went through my vaccinations and my medical history. I needed two vaccinations for the vaccinations requirement- she gave me the option of getting them there or deferring until I get to the U.S as k1 applicants are not required to fulfill this requirement now. I chose to defer and was given a paper to give to the officials in the US when I apply for my Adjustment of Status. 

Then I was sent out again into the waiting area and after about 5 minutes a doctor called me in. He asked me if I needed a chaperone and I said no. He weighed me, did an eye test and asked me to change into one of those hospital gowns and leave my underwear on (they don’t check your genitals anymore) he asked me if I ever self harmed and I said no then asked me to show him my arms. Checked my neck and mouth and took my blood then asked me to lay down. He felt my belly and twisted my legs (checking joints) we chatted as he did all this. Then we sat down and went over my medical history and he told me my results would be with the embassy in 5 working days.

i was asked to go back to the waiting area to wait for the receptionist to call me and I would be ready to go. I sat down and chatted to a man in the waiting area who was also there for a k1 visa. 5 minutes later I was called and paid my fee at the reception and I was done. In and out of there in less than an hour.

The Interview  6March2018

My interview was for 11.30 and I arrived at vauxhall station (10 minute walk to embassy) SUPER early at 9.30. I walked around to the embassy to see how long it would take me to walk there. Then I walked around and found a Pret A Manger where I sat and had a sandwich and drink (I was so nervous I wasn’t even hungry but I knew I had to eat because I didnt know how long I would be at the embassy!). I left at half 10 and walked over to the embassy. A nice building with lots of construction around and armed police guarding the area. I was turned away for being too early :( and refered to a Waitrose down the road which had a cafe. I went there and there were lots of Americans and people going for interviews (they were carrying folders like me). At 11 o’clock I made my way to the embassy and was finally let in! Lol. 

there was NOBODY there. No queue nothing. So I went straight through the airport style security and outside and walked on fursther into another building which was the actual inside of the embassy. I was given a number stuck onto my DS160 and told to go up a lift into the 1st floor. When The lift opened it was a huge waiting area full of people. I was confused. There were TV screens everywhere which told you which window to go to. My number was already on the screen (it doesn’t flash or make a noise you have to look for your number on the screen and the corresponding window you should go to.)

i went to my window where a friendly but serious (if that makes sense) man asked me for my passport, birth certificate, affidavit of support and my instructions page. Entered things on the computer and asked me to sit and wait to be called again.

i was sat down for 2 minutes when a young American lady called me over. She asked me for my police certificate and my fiancé’s previous divorce certificate.

she then asked me;

how we met

what he does for work

if he has been here

if I have been to America

if he owns a house in America 

what I intend to do when I get there

Then she told me my medical results have not been received yet:( but she approved my visa!! :D!!!! As long as my medical was all good. Super happy!! I had to ask her to confirm it’s been approved again!

And I was free to go. I was there for 10 minutes. 

I called Knightsbridge as my results should have been there (my medical was 8 working days ago) and they told me due to The bad weather this past week (Beast from the East, you know, the snow we had last week that stopped the whole country) their couriers could reach them and there was a delay but they assured me my results would be arriving today. 

So so that was my experience and I hope it helps you out! If you have any questions inbox me And good luck!!

thank you for this post made me feel way more comfortable for my medical tomorrow :) :) 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 3/8/2018 at 10:20 AM, Royce91 said:

Hey guys, from the time we sent out our initial petition this website has been amazing at helping us know what’s going on and everyone else’s experience. It has helped ALOT and it’s amazing that we can all come together and help each other out going through the same experiences!! Thanks so much guys! I thought I could do my bit and write about my experience with the K1 medical and interview in London.

MEDICAL

scheduling my medical was pretty easy and straight forward. I was able to call and book for about two weeks later.

The place is close to Bond Street station and was easy to find.

My experience here was very nice which was very important because it put me at ease and I was optimistic about the whole k1 experience from then on. I was expecting stern, robotic people who can deny you if you say or do something wrong and then your whole visa will be denied! 🙈. 

When i arrived (early), I checked in at the reception, the receptionist was very nice and gave me a form to fill in which asked about my medical history. When I took that back she gave me a little cup to pee in. And then I was asked to wait in the waiting area where they were about 10-15 other anxious looking people! The waiting area has water and some magazines and was comfortable. 

After about 10 minutes a very friendly man called me in for the chest X-ray. This took about 5-10 minutes and I was told he was happy with my X-ray. I was asked to go back out into the waiting area. After about 15 minutes a nurse called me up. She was friendly too but not as nice as the X-ray guy. We went through my vaccinations and my medical history. I needed two vaccinations for the vaccinations requirement- she gave me the option of getting them there or deferring until I get to the U.S as k1 applicants are not required to fulfill this requirement now. I chose to defer and was given a paper to give to the officials in the US when I apply for my Adjustment of Status. 

Then I was sent out again into the waiting area and after about 5 minutes a doctor called me in. He asked me if I needed a chaperone and I said no. He weighed me, did an eye test and asked me to change into one of those hospital gowns and leave my underwear on (they don’t check your genitals anymore) he asked me if I ever self harmed and I said no then asked me to show him my arms. Checked my neck and mouth and took my blood then asked me to lay down. He felt my belly and twisted my legs (checking joints) we chatted as he did all this. Then we sat down and went over my medical history and he told me my results would be with the embassy in 5 working days.

i was asked to go back to the waiting area to wait for the receptionist to call me and I would be ready to go. I sat down and chatted to a man in the waiting area who was also there for a k1 visa. 5 minutes later I was called and paid my fee at the reception and I was done. In and out of there in less than an hour.

The Interview  6March2018

My interview was for 11.30 and I arrived at vauxhall station (10 minute walk to embassy) SUPER early at 9.30. I walked around to the embassy to see how long it would take me to walk there. Then I walked around and found a Pret A Manger where I sat and had a sandwich and drink (I was so nervous I wasn’t even hungry but I knew I had to eat because I didnt know how long I would be at the embassy!). I left at half 10 and walked over to the embassy. A nice building with lots of construction around and armed police guarding the area. I was turned away for being too early :( and refered to a Waitrose down the road which had a cafe. I went there and there were lots of Americans and people going for interviews (they were carrying folders like me). At 11 o’clock I made my way to the embassy and was finally let in! Lol. 

there was NOBODY there. No queue nothing. So I went straight through the airport style security and outside and walked on fursther into another building which was the actual inside of the embassy. I was given a number stuck onto my DS160 and told to go up a lift into the 1st floor. When The lift opened it was a huge waiting area full of people. I was confused. There were TV screens everywhere which told you which window to go to. My number was already on the screen (it doesn’t flash or make a noise you have to look for your number on the screen and the corresponding window you should go to.)

i went to my window where a friendly but serious (if that makes sense) man asked me for my passport, birth certificate, affidavit of support and my instructions page. Entered things on the computer and asked me to sit and wait to be called again.

i was sat down for 2 minutes when a young American lady called me over. She asked me for my police certificate and my fiancé’s previous divorce certificate.

she then asked me;

how we met

what he does for work

if he has been here

if I have been to America

if he owns a house in America 

what I intend to do when I get there

Then she told me my medical results have not been received yet:( but she approved my visa!! :D!!!! As long as my medical was all good. Super happy!! I had to ask her to confirm it’s been approved again!

And I was free to go. I was there for 10 minutes. 

I called Knightsbridge as my results should have been there (my medical was 8 working days ago) and they told me due to The bad weather this past week (Beast from the East, you know, the snow we had last week that stopped the whole country) their couriers could reach them and there was a delay but they assured me my results would be arriving today. 

So so that was my experience and I hope it helps you out! If you have any questions inbox me And good luck!!

This is really helpful.  Thank you.  Can you tell me how long it took you to get your passport back after your interview?  Thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Took my medical at Knightsbridge. All went well until about 1 week later I was contacted on the phone by a doctor who said he had reviewed my chest X-Ray and they had detected a shadow on my R lung. He went on to say that because of this they now had to test me for TB ! Three further visits to the Knightsbridge doctors were required, on consecutive days, and I had to be at the clinic prior to 10am. Unfortunately from where I live the first train did not get me into London until 1030. I explained this to the clinic and they said that was fine (however this meant that I could not get an off peak train, so a pricey ticket had to be bought for each of the 3 days). I attended the clinic, gave a sputum test on each day (about 10 mins total!), and heres the kicker...they then informed me it would take 6-8 WEEKS to get the results back. I had my interview at the embassy after the second appointment at the doctors, so managed to kill two birds with one stone that day. I passed my interview, however the Embassy still retained my passport, so for the next two months I cant go anywhere abroad. The passport will be returned to me when the Embassy get the results of my tests. So now I am twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the all-clear from the doctor (Fingers crossed)

This has probably cost me an extra £400 in train fares (the extra tests at the clinic are free)

A good lesson on why you shouldn't book a flight until everything is completed, because I certainly didnt see this one coming

Timeline
1 hour ago, DustyM said:

however the Embassy still retained my passport, so for the next two months I cant go anywhere abroad. The passport will be returned to me when the Embassy get the results of my tests. So now I am twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the all-clear from the doctor (Fingers crossed)

If you need to go somewhere abroad, you can request your passport back, sent via the courier. They will notify you when they are ready to issue the visa. You have the courier pick up your passport and take back to the embassy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

If you need to go somewhere abroad, you can request your passport back, sent via the courier. They will notify you when they are ready to issue the visa. You have the courier pick up your passport and take back to the embassy.

Thanks but no doubt they would charge me for a second courier 😁. 

SO on the 5th of June i had my interview and it went smoothly. I had my medical but due to timing the medical wasn’t sent out till the 6th of June ( I’m sure it’s arrived at the embassy now) it was approved and they kept my passport, she told me once the medical arrived it would be processed and sent out with 1-2 week plus the 2 day delivery.. I randomly checked the status of my visa and it says “administrative processing” and I’m very confused and don’t know if I should be worried by this since it says “several weeks” and all my google searches aren’t really helping so I figured I’d ask people who know what they’re talking about ahah. 

Thank you you guys in advance for the replies

Timeline
4 hours ago, Filipe Almeida said:

SO on the 5th of June i had my interview and it went smoothly. I had my medical but due to timing the medical wasn’t sent out till the 6th of June ( I’m sure it’s arrived at the embassy now) it was approved and they kept my passport, she told me once the medical arrived it would be processed and sent out with 1-2 week plus the 2 day delivery.. I randomly checked the status of my visa and it says “administrative processing” and I’m very confused and don’t know if I should be worried by this since it says “several weeks” and all my google searches aren’t really helping so I figured I’d ask people who know what they’re talking about ahah. 

Thank you you guys in advance for the replies

Did you interview in London?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.