Rem79

HELP! In desperate need of guidance.

3 posts in this topic

Looking for help for a very complicated situation.  I'm going to type the whole story so all information is here... it may be long but I appreciate the help more than you know!

My boyfriend of over 2 years is trying to obtain his residence and I am looking to help him/maybe be his (new) sponsor.  Here is his story...

When he was approximately 9 years old he first came to the US with his family and lived (and went to school, 4th grade) here for about a year (around 1990).  They returned to Mexico after that year and he came back to the US with his father and uncle and other adult men when he was 17 years old (1998).  They were caught in Oklahoma (on his 17th birthday) and he was in jail for about 2 months before seeing a judge (1999).  When he had his hearing, the judge was present via speaker phone.  He was deported and said he remembers signing something saying he wouldn't return for 10 years; this was his one "forgiveness".  He came back to the US about 3-4 months later (still 1999) and has been here ever since.  In 2007 married a US citizen, and they had a baby; they had their second child in 2012.  She applied for the I-130 on his behalf twice and was denied both times because of the deportation.  He applied for DACA at the advice of his lawyer and was approved (almost/about a year ago).  She then reapplied for the I-130 and it was finally accepted (roughly 8 months ago, maybe less).  He has a US SSN, driver's license, and a 2 year work permit.  He also meets with ICE annually or every 2 years.  

They have a lawyer that they've been working with for the last few years but he's discouraged with the lack of progress.  He has sought the advice of two other attorneys and has basically been told that his case is very complicated and he should wait and see what Congress decides about DACA.  The last one told him that a U Visa would be the only thing that "forgives" the deportation.  He was also told to keep his I-130 with him and be sure to continue to renew it (I think in case of amnesty).

Here's where the questions lie:  we want to be together and are trying to find out if he can continue the process with me.  The only reason they ever got married was because she got pregnant.  They were never in love, but now he's feeling trapped in a situation he doesn't want to be in, though he loves his children more than anything in the world.  What can we do?

(Please no hateful stuff here.... we're very much in love and we are both good people who have found themselves in a difficult situation.)

Please stick to your existing thread. Thank you.

FYI - This was posted for a friend and her spouse in your other thread, but now the guy is your boyfriend. I urge you to be clear and honest if you want to receive the best advice possible...changing stories only makes a complex case more confusing.

Edit: After re-reading the post a few times, I think I get where confusion comes into play. Please confirm the following: Your boyfriend is the DACA recipient. But he is currently married to somebody else. His current wife petitioned him but that never went through (for various reasons I'm assuming).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~locked to further replies. Please do not start more then one thread for the same topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.