Wallhut

Akai House Accra Ghana Medical Appointment

23 posts in this topic

Hello All,

We've submitted the DS-16-, paid the fee, gotten my fiance's appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana, and now he needs to complete his medical exam. He will go to Akai House for the exam, but can anyone tell me, does he need to make an appointment for this or does he just walk in? There's nothing on their Facebook page, although they do indicate he needs six passport photos (!) and it also lists the fees. Does he just show up during their office hours to get the medical exam?

Thank you in advance. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Wallhut:

I'm going through the same process for my fiance in Ghana. The NVC said that they sent his case to Ghana on January 23 2018. We have not heard from them yet. So I see that your fiance did the DS160 online and paid the fee and got an appointment date with the embassy. If you don't mind me asking how did you do all of this. Did the embassy finally contact you or did you all just do it on your own? I am leaving on February 19 2018 to go to Ghana to help him with the rest of everything. 

I would appreciate your advice,

Juva

Edited by Juva
misspelled words

Hello, Juva.

We have not heard anything from the embassy in Ghana. I have a friend whose fiance arrived in the U.S. early this year and she said he never head anything at all from them and they had to do everything themselves. Also, it appears the process has changed very recently from one where you wait to pick up instructions from the embassy (Package 3), complete that, return it, and then receive a Package 4 with the interview date and additional instructions.

Once I found out from the NVC that the package was in Accra I first had my fiance complete the DS-160 online. That's not a prerequisite for paying the visa fee at GT bank, though. Once you pay the fee at the GT bank you will use the transaction receipt number and DS-160 number to go on the ceac website and schedule your interview. Once you receive your confirmation email that the interview is scheduled you can then take that confirmation and go to the medical clinic to have the medical exam. My fiance will go to the Akai House next week. It doesn't look like you make an appointment but just walk in for it. Be sure your fiance takes any immunzation records available. My fiance doesn't have any.

I'm attaching something from this site someone posted at the end of last year about what to bring to the interview. I'm not sure if I'll be getting anything current via email or text telling us what to bring. We only just did all of this over the last couple of days so I'm hoping we get a current list of what to bring to the interview. My friend I've been talking with said her fiance used this document to assemble what he took to his interview and everything went well. What I don't see on this list is the original and a copy of the beneficiary's birth certificate.

I hope this helps.

Wallace

Official List of Interview Items.png

Timeline

Greetings Wallace :

Thank you for all the information. Yes,  all that you have shared has remedied my frustrations. My fiance has physically gone several times to the embassy in order to get next step instructions from them ever since finding out that the NVC sent his case back in January and he lives five hours away. I leave tomorrow for Ghana and I will try to do things the way you and your fiance has done. I want to thank you for your time spent responding to me and may God be with us and see us through this process. 

You're the greatest! 

Juva

Timeline

Greetings Wallace :

Thank you for all the information. Yes,  all that you have shared has remedied my frustrations. My fiance has physically gone several times to the embassy in order to get next step instructions from them ever since finding out that the NVC sent his case to Ghana  in January and he lives five hours away.  Can you please let me know if the medical clinic allowed your fiance to use the interview confirmation page to complete his physical. Also, the payment to the GT bank is it the payment submitted after completing the DS160? I leave tomorrow for Ghana and I will try to do things the way you and your fiance has done. I want to thank you for your time spent responding to me and may God be with us and see us through this process. 

Much appreciated,

Juva

Juva,

I wish you a safe trip to Ghana and a happy visit with your fiance. I wish so much I could go back right now for a visit. It is so difficult being apart. The next month is going to be full of anticipation as we prepare for his interview. Your fiance does not need anything except his passport to pay the fee at GT Bank. You only need the DS-160 number to schedule your interview on the CEAC website: https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=o/iS8zDpeAKjMWCuebHqOw==

By the way, the Case Number to use when entering the CEAC is the NVG number beginning with ACC.

I will let you know how the medical exam goes for my fiance. He will be having it this coming week.

God bless you and your process too. Let's keep each other in our prayers for a successful interview.

Wallace

Timeline

Greetings Wallace :

Thank the Lord Jesus Christ I arrived in Accra in peace and safety. As soon as I reached Accra my fiance and I went from the airport directly to the US embassy. It was a total waste of time. We were not allowed to enter inside of the embassy to address the issues we have been facing. We were told over and over to just email the embassy. I verbalized that I already tried that and it took almost 3 weeks to get feedback from them and the response was general and useless. We both were very frustrated and decided to leave and take a bus back to Kumasi (a five hour trip). 

So how are you and your fiance going. Was there success in getting the medical examination out of the way? I pray it has happened already for you. As of tomorrow my fiance and I will begin the process that has succeeded for you and your fiance. Please let me know your progress. 

Sincerely, 

Juva

Juva,

I'm so happy you arrived safely. I know that's a long piece of travel, and yet I am so jealous because I would give anything to be by my fiance's side again right now. I am not surprised you could not enter the embassy without an appointment. Yes, I am happy to say, my fiance had his medical exam and all went well except he had to get many shots since he had no record of ever having any. He must return for one more follow up shot just one day before his appointment, but he should get his whole medical packet that day so he'll have it for the interview. He went to Akai House and the cost was whatever the published price is on their Facebook page (somewhere around 1915 ghs, I believe). Now I am preparing the I-134, Affidavit of Support, and compiling financial support evidence. I'll also be sending a fresh intent to marry letter (he'll have his own new one there too), and further communication evidence, including pictures from my trip to Ghana I made after the initial submission. I will also send a copy of the receipt for the wedding rings I bought. He already had his original birth certificate and has made a copy of it, and also has two passport photos to take. I think that covers everything he will need for the interview. I hope by now you guys are safely in Kumasi. I dream of seeing Kumasi one day. I've actually become friends with some Kumawood movie actors and would love to meet them in person. I dream of the days when my husband and I will travel to Ghana together to see family and friends and maybe on that day I will make it to Kumasi. Please take care and I wish you guys the best of luck!

Wallace

Timeline

Greetings Wallace :

Oh, once again you have blessed me with a wealth of information. So your fiance got the medical examination done by just bringing in a copy of the interview confirmation letter? How long did it take to get the confirmation letter after you scheduled the appointment online? An appointment was not necessary for the medical examination ?  And how far away did you all schedule the interview prior to getting the medical examination done? Because tomorrow my fiance and I will be at the internet cafe trying to get the application done and if we can pay and schedule an interview date along with getting the other necessary items together for the interview itself that you described in your recent post. 

Sincerely, 

Juva

Greetings, Juva.

I pray you and your fiance are blessed with being together as a married couple soon. Your fiance will need the interview confirmation letter, his passport, and six passport pictures to have the medical exam. Of course, he will need the money to pay the fee also. When you schedule the embassy interview online you will immediately receive an email with the confirmation in it. You can just print it off and take it to the examination facility. My fiance said there was no appointment needed for the examination, he just went to the place when they first opened and there were many people there but he got it done that day. You must choose your interview date when you register for the interview online. Keep in mind you can scroll to different months in the future if you want to do it a little later, but I think the dates only go out one or two months. I would not be in too big a hurry to get in for the interview because you should give yourself time to get all the paperwork together and there not be any outstanding items. If there are, even if he is approved they must wait until everything is there to issue the visa. So when I chose a day I chose one over a month away, and it's a good thing I did because as you know my fiance has to go back in for another shot (they have to space that shot out one month from the first one) and it turned out to be just one day before his interview.

Wallace

Timeline

Good afternoon Wallace :

I pray all is well with you and your fiance. I am thankful for all the advice you have given me. It has truly worked. It has 😊😊😊. My fiance was afraid to complete the online application for fear he would do something wrong. So, we did it yesterday and paid the fee. Today we scheduled his interview date. It is in 3 weeks. We were hoping we could get a date for next week but we could not. We had planned to get married on March 17th and all the plans were made so now I have to call back to the US and try to move things around. I have all the other necessary documents together. I did it before leaving the U.S. and my fiance is leaving tomorrow to Accra and go do the medical examination and he already received the criminal background check back. 

I really appreciate all your time spent on answering my questions. Like I said earlier. It truly worked!

Now we are just waiting 🙄but at least it's towards the end😄.

Peace and blessings to you, 

Juva

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Greetings Wallace :

How are you and your fiance? Well, I'm writing to update you on our case. So, all the things that you advised me to do worked up until going to the interview that we scheduled ourselves. The embassy refused to interview him when he went in because they said that they did not schedule the interview. They looked up his information and acknowledged that they had it but they said that they have not finished putting some package together and that he should leave until they email him to come back to pick up the package. We told them that the visa will run out they said that they know and that when they get to his name and the visa has run out they will automatically extend when they get to his name. So that's it. I had to cancel all wedding plans and I will be in Ghana for one more month hoping they get to him by next month. I refuse to leave without him 😣😕. I hope things are going better for you and your fiance. 

Juva

Juva,

Thank you so very much for letting me know this happened. I am so very sorry about it. My fiance's interview is very soon, and I suspect he will receive the same message. I guess he will go ahead and attend the interview just to make the appearance, but now I believe we must prepare ourselves to be turned away in the same manner. It's good to know if the NOA2 expires before they schedule the interview that they will automatically renew it. Once again I am so very sorry for this disappointment but I am so grateful for you taking the time to share this information.

Wallace

Timeline

@Juva  and @Wallhut

So sorry that this seems to be happening - have either of you heard back about the Packet 3/4 or when it should be coming? This is very worrisome. We have all waited so long for NOA2, and from all I read, things should be going smoothly (and quickly!).  Shame that there seems to be such a disconnect with the Ghana embassy. 

Anyway happy Sunday, and I hope that both of you hear back quickly so you can be reunited your loves! The info that you’ve shared is very helpful for us as we are a couple months behind you. 

Thanks and and have a good day. 

NOA1: 9/8/2017

NOA2: 3/14/2018

NVC Case # Available: 3/26/2018

Case left NVC: 4/3/2018

Packet 3 Rec'd: 6/11/2018 

Interview: 6/26/2018 Approved! :thumbs:

POE: 7/13/2018

Marriage: 8/25/2018 

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 10/3/18

Biometrics: 10/30/18

No word about the Package 3. The Package 4, as I understand it, is what you get after your interview and approval. I responded to the Package 3 receipt question on the other thread, but basically the embassy should be emailing the petitioner (and possibly the beneficiary as well) when the Package 3 is ready for pick up. The concern is that many people I know never heard anything from the embassy. It think that may have happened in the past because they mailed the Package 3 to the beneficiary's address rather than notifying them via email to come to the embassy and get it, but I'm not at all sure that's correct, and if anyone on here can verify this it will be appreciated. The NVC said my package was sent to Ghana February 26th, so if we do not hear anything by mid-April I will have to figure out the way to contact the embassy to question the status. I believe the only way to do that is via email, and I've also heard many times emails to the embassy go unanswered. I will continue hoping and praying for the best. My greatest suggestion is to remain positive and patient, keep on top of it, and do what you can to determine the status when appropriate. 

Best Wishes.

Wallace

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.