Orientalelf

K-1 Processing Times for Thailand (How long before I start moving?!)

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for sharing the data points, NOA2 to NVC was taking a bit longer over the holidays (28 days for me) so I'm glad it's sped back up a little recently.

The Bangkok embassy received our visa over the weekend, so we're just waiting for our status to change to 'Ready' so we can send Packet 3. Then we'll have another interview data point. I'm expect ours to be scheduled in early March.

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of the submission of our I-129F to officially start the process.

We're currently working on Packet 3 - specifically the Police Clearance Certificate (which is now in the 8th week of it's 'expedited processing' with no end in sight).

I haven't been to Thailand since last June because we've been saving up for the wedding & relocation and I thought this would wrap in December at the latest. Not we're looking at March or, more likely, April thanks to this. I'm worried now that the interviewer will say "You haven't seen her in 9 months? That's not a 'real' relationship."  

Timeline
23 hours ago, MATD said:

The Bangkok embassy received our visa over the weekend, so we're just waiting for our status to change to 'Ready' so we can send Packet 3. Then we'll have another interview data point. I'm expect ours to be scheduled in early March.

aw man, that sounds great.  congrats on your case arriving to the embassy.  Yeah, it's unfortunate that the interviews are taking so long.  Early March is a pretty safe bet.   

4 hours ago, x3n said:

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of the submission of our I-129F to officially start the process.

We're currently working on Packet 3 - specifically the Police Clearance Certificate (which is now in the 8th week of it's 'expedited processing' with no end in sight).

I haven't been to Thailand since last June because we've been saving up for the wedding & relocation and I thought this would wrap in December at the latest. Not we're looking at March or, more likely, April thanks to this. I'm worried now that the interviewer will say "You haven't seen her in 9 months? That's not a 'real' relationship."  

Wow, one year?   I notice you don't have a timeline, but I heard the NOA2 is good for 4 months.   Hope you're not past that.  Ours NOA2 arrived in 140 days, and I'm hoping to wrap it all up by April as well.   Police cert took exactly one month....and that is because my fiancee would never pay the "expedite" fee.  Our Packet 3 is essentially finished as we gathered everything concurrent with the processing of the i129.  We need only the DS160 and the payment receipt.   With regard to your relationship, trip-wise you should be fine.   The rule is a visit in the past two years.   Just make sure your evidence book is solid.   

Timeline
15 hours ago, x3n said:

10 hours ago, DanielPlainview said:

With regard to your relationship, trip-wise you should be fine.   The rule is a visit in the past two years.   Just make sure your evidence book is solid.   

And the 2 years rule is from the I-129f application date. So if someone had seen their fiance exactly 2 years before their I-129f was submitted, it will be well over 2 years by the time you get to the interview. But it doesn't matter at that point because the rule is only for the I129f application.

That said, it's still unfortunate you haven't seen your fiance in so long. However you are close to the finish line!

7 minutes ago, MATD said:

And the 2 years rule is from the I-129f application date. So if someone had seen their fiance exactly 2 years before their I-129f was submitted, it will be well over 2 years by the time you get to the interview. But it doesn't matter at that point because the rule is only for the I129f application.

Correct - the 2 years is form the date of filing for the petition.

The CO at the embassy can still look at a long gap negatively in evaluation of the validity of the relationship. "Only" 9 months isn't that uncommon IMO (gaps of 2+ years at the time of the interview have known to been an issue for some others), but I'll defer to others who know Thailand better as to how they tend to view it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

" I notice you don't have a timeline, but I heard the NOA2 is good for 4 months.   Hope you're not past that. "

Because of the work/travel/police delays, our petition expired on November 30th (more than 2 months ago). I sent an email to the embassy and they say they extended it for a year.

Then they mailed a letter to my fiance' saying that she needs to confirm her intent (in writing) before they revalidate the petition. We're putting that together now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.