Emmkin

Can I re-marry and petition for green card 11 months after divorce? I got my citizenship 2 years ago through ex-wife who is a US citizen.

43 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Nope. Just means two people had sex.

Haha I don't even know what to do with this. A couple having sex and raising a child together is pretty strong proof it is not a SHAM marriage. A baby is fairly convincing proof a marriage was not entered into SOLELY to gain an immigration benefit, since the child is a benefit of the marriage too. If you don't see that then even God can't help you. Good luck to you

Edited by KeratNY

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
3 minutes ago, KeratNY said:

Haha I don't even know what to do with this. A couple having sex and raising a child together is pretty strong proof it is not a SHAM marriage. A baby is fairly convincing proof a marriage was not entered into SOLELY to gain an immigration benefit, since the child is a benefit of the marriage too. If you don't see that then even God can't help you. Good luck to you

That makes a lot of sense but the USCIS is not known for having common sense.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, azblk said:

That makes a lot of sense but the USCIS is not known for having common sense.

Well I can't speak to common sense, but showing a child's birth certificate listing the couple as mother and father, and photos of that child with you and your family are very standard and common bona fides presented and accepted in an interview

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Nope. Just means two people had sex.

Every piece of evidence is evaluated on its own merits. Having a joint bank account or insurance also means just that you them - says nothing about marriage. Going on vacation together or visiting each other also say nothing about a marriage. The only thing that says marriage is the marriage certificate.

USCIS looks at the whole picture including children born between you as part of that landscape.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 minutes ago, KeratNY said:

You should search the forum. This isn't new. God has nothing to do with it. People have babies all the time.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Unidentified said:

You should search the forum. This isn't new. God has nothing to do with it. People have babies all the time.

Yes, couples have babies all the time. Because that is what real couples do. You know what fake couples don't do? Have babies! 

Edited by KeratNY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, KeratNY said:

Yes, couples have babies all the time. Because that is what real couples do. You know what fake couples don't do? Have babies! 

Like I said you should search the forum.

Timeline

I think you are digressing from the OP's question. Having a child or children with your partner can be part of the evidence just like all the other evidence provided. The reason  it gets discounted is people tend to think its pretty strong evidence and can stand on its own - which is not the case.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, azblk said:

I think you are digressing from the OP's question. Having a child or children with your partner can be part of the evidence just like all the other evidence provided. The reason  it gets discounted is people tend to think its pretty strong evidence and can stand on its own - which is not the case.

agreed. nothing should stand on its own. but its one of the more convincing pieces, along with a shared lease, shared vacations, etc

On 5/17/2018 at 12:40 PM, KeratNY said:

I chose not to have children with my first husband because I'm chronically ill and I'm not willing to sacrifice my medication and ultimately my health for a baby. Also I wouldn't have the energy to raise a child. And I don't want to pass my defective genes to a human being. Just because I chose not to have a kid doesn't mean my marriage with my first husband wasn't real. 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

I chose not to have children with my first husband because I'm chronically ill and I'm not willing to sacrifice my medication and ultimately my health for a baby. Also I wouldn't have the energy to raise a child. And I don't want to pass my defective genes to a human being. Just because I chose not to have a kid doesn't mean my marriage with my first husband wasn't real. 

I said having a child is indicative of having a real relationship, NOT that not having a child is indicative of a sham marriage. Of course lots of people choose not to have children, including me! 

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:

I filed for my wife and we were approved on the spot. No RFE and everything took around 5.5 months

The interviewer only asked basic questions of how we met and all. She could care less about the details of my last marriage - she said she is not interested.

Most of her questions were timelines of when we met, when we moved in, how long we have known each other, where my wife has worked and working, when we had our son together.

I am glad the process is finally over.

Thanks VJ. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.