McInnesJake

Finances and Costs

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I am nearly 3 months into a K-1 application (I am the foreign spouse) and I would like to get some early information on financial outgoings in the US. Mainly on changes from UK prices to US?

For example:

- As a 23 year old Male with no medical history - How much would I expect to pay for medical insurance? (Any pointers to potential companies for quotes would be appreciated).

- As a 23 year old, with 6 years driving experience in the UK and no accidents/claims - How much roughly would I expect to pay for car insurance? (Any pointers to potential companies for quotes would be appreciated).

- Any other charges that aren't relative in the UK, that have slipped my mind as of now?

Please feel free to let me know of any other charges I have missed or you have experienced that may be helpful / become relevant to myself in the future. 

Many thanks

Jake

Timeline
5 hours ago, McInnesJake said:

I am nearly 3 months into a K-1 application (I am the foreign spouse) and I would like to get some early information on financial outgoings in the US. Mainly on changes from UK prices to US?

For example:

- As a 23 year old Male with no medical history - How much would I expect to pay for medical insurance? (Any pointers to potential companies for quotes would be appreciated).

- As a 23 year old, with 6 years driving experience in the UK and no accidents/claims - How much roughly would I expect to pay for car insurance? (Any pointers to potential companies for quotes would be appreciated).

- Any other charges that aren't relative in the UK, that have slipped my mind as of now?

Please feel free to let me know of any other charges I have missed or you have experienced that may be helpful / become relevant to myself in the future. 

Many thanks

Jake

Medical insurance will depend on how you obtain it and who you go through.  Is your fiancé offered medical insurance through her work?

I added my husband to my car insurance and it only increased by about $20 a month (before we added a second car).  Of course adding the second car increased it again but in all it only increased about $70 from what I was paying before with just myself and a single car.  Unfortunately, most car insurance companies will look at you as a "new" driver even though you are experience driver in the UK.  The rates may be a bit higher than normal because of this.  I also did not add him to my car insurance until we submitted for his AOS because he was still able to drive on his UK license until we filed for change of status. 

I cant think of any other reoccurring charges that have to be worried about when you come over.  Just take in to consideration and plan for the AOS fees, additional groceries, fuel, etc.  Just the normal things you would spend money on in the UK but will be spending in the US now.  I would suggest you and your fiancé work on a budget before you come over so that you can have a good idea of what to expect.  The first few months can be really hard when you are not able to work so the more you plan the better it is. 

A few tips for when you get here:

1. If your fiancé has a credit card, ask her to add you as an authorized user when you get here (we did this when we added my husband to my bank account).  This will kick start a credit score for you which will be useful in the future. And as before, have her add you to her bank account as well. 

2. Go apply for your social security number as soon as you are able to access your I-94 form online.  This will also be very helpful for the rest of the process. 

3. Once you file for AOS and receive your NOA1 you will be able to obtain a SC driver's license.  You will also need 2 proofs of residency so keep any and all mail that comes to you (and the certified envelopes they were mailed in). A statement from the bank saying that you are on your fiancé's account will suffice as one of these proofs of residency. If you need the rest of the requirements, let me know.  I have them all saved from when we went.

4. Save EVERYTHING!  lol  Every piece of mail, every photo, every document... This stuff will all be very helpful with obtaining your green card.  Especially if you get an interview.  We have a binder that we literally put everything that has my husbands name on into.  It helped us with AOS and will be useful with his ROC in a couple of years.

That is all I can think of at the moment.  lol.  The first few months of getting here are a bit hectic but it does calm down.  My husband received his green card right before Christmas and it has been so amazing not to have to worry about paperwork and forms and obtaining "things" anymore.  Good luck to you!

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

Timeline
On 12/01/2018 at 4:46 PM, Ashley Scott said:

Medical insurance will depend on how you obtain it and who you go through.  Is your fiancé offered medical insurance through her work?

I added my husband to my car insurance and it only increased by about $20 a month (before we added a second car).  Of course adding the second car increased it again but in all it only increased about $70 from what I was paying before with just myself and a single car.  Unfortunately, most car insurance companies will look at you as a "new" driver even though you are experience driver in the UK.  The rates may be a bit higher than normal because of this.  I also did not add him to my car insurance until we submitted for his AOS because he was still able to drive on his UK license until we filed for change of status. 

I cant think of any other reoccurring charges that have to be worried about when you come over.  Just take in to consideration and plan for the AOS fees, additional groceries, fuel, etc.  Just the normal things you would spend money on in the UK but will be spending in the US now.  I would suggest you and your fiancé work on a budget before you come over so that you can have a good idea of what to expect.  The first few months can be really hard when you are not able to work so the more you plan the better it is. 

A few tips for when you get here:

1. If your fiancé has a credit card, ask her to add you as an authorized user when you get here (we did this when we added my husband to my bank account).  This will kick start a credit score for you which will be useful in the future. And as before, have her add you to her bank account as well. 

2. Go apply for your social security number as soon as you are able to access your I-94 form online.  This will also be very helpful for the rest of the process. 

3. Once you file for AOS and receive your NOA1 you will be able to obtain a SC driver's license.  You will also need 2 proofs of residency so keep any and all mail that comes to you (and the certified envelopes they were mailed in). A statement from the bank saying that you are on your fiancé's account will suffice as one of these proofs of residency. If you need the rest of the requirements, let me know.  I have them all saved from when we went.

4. Save EVERYTHING!  lol  Every piece of mail, every photo, every document... This stuff will all be very helpful with obtaining your green card.  Especially if you get an interview.  We have a binder that we literally put everything that has my husbands name on into.  It helped us with AOS and will be useful with his ROC in a couple of years.

That is all I can think of at the moment.  lol.  The first few months of getting here are a bit hectic but it does calm down.  My husband received his green card right before Christmas and it has been so amazing not to have to worry about paperwork and forms and obtaining "things" anymore.  Good luck to you!

Thanks for all that. Exactly the type of answer I was after. 

Unfortunately my fiancé is still in university so doesn't have many of the normal things I.e work or a car etc. So it will be very much starting from the beginning when I arrive. But I am in a very lucky position to have a job to go to once I am allowed to work in the US (same company I work for here in the UK) and this offers health insurance, something I need to investigate further to find out exactly what. 

I think as you say the best way is to plan well and then we cannot fail.

Thanks again Ashley!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Jake, commendations for thinking ahead as you're doing.  Here's another consideration, and the essentially one-time expense will vary depending on how you choose to proceed.

As soon as you get married, draft Wills, general and medical/healthcare Powers of Attorney, HIPAA releases, and similar documents.

These will be excellent inclusions when you remove conditions on your green card later.

They're even more crucial to have in "life."  This applies even if you're young, have few possessions, etc.

Some people find lawyers to draft these documents.

Some people find websites that provide templates and walk them through each step.

Some people search the Web to find samples of forms that they retype themselves, adding their details.

It makes sense to ensure that you're using the most up-to-date versions of all such documents for your U.S. state of residence, and that all the necessary and proper language is included.  (If you later move to a different U.S. state, check with a lawyer to see if your documents from your recent state of residence are valid in your new state.  Not all always are.)  Consider revising these documents when you have children.

There would be an associated expense, usually small, to have (some or most or all of) your signatures on the above documents notarized by a Notary Public in your state of residence.

The above factors are very easily overlooked in the excitement of arrival, marriage, and adjusting to new lives together.  However, having these documents complete and in your hands will add to your security, sometimes when you least expect.  I respectfully recommend that you put this on your "to-do" list, in ink.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, McInnesJake said:

Thanks for all that. Exactly the type of answer I was after. 

Unfortunately my fiancé is still in university so doesn't have many of the normal things I.e work or a car etc. So it will be very much starting from the beginning when I arrive. But I am in a very lucky position to have a job to go to once I am allowed to work in the US (same company I work for here in the UK) and this offers health insurance, something I need to investigate further to find out exactly what. 

I think as you say the best way is to plan well and then we cannot fail.

Thanks again Ashley!

No problem.  That is great that you have something lined up for work.  That will definitely make things a bit easier when that time comes.  Outside of that, I would recommend putting as much into savings a possible before you come over.  It can be a bit stressful when you are unable to work.  I assume you and your fiancé have discussed this and worked this out but definitely be prepared for it.  We were lucky that our AOS process was very very quick and easy.  My husband received his green card 4 months after we filed which allowed him to start work last week.  It has made such a positive impact on him, being able to get out and make money again. lol. 

Feel free to reach out if you or your fiancé have any questions along the way.  We will be more than happy to help how we can! 

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.