pcpro178

I-864 Affidavit of Support Original Signatures

7 posts in this topic

In the list of required documents for the interview it states that photocopies of the I-864 Affidavit of Support forms is acceptable:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/interview-prepare/required-documents.html

i864copies.jpg.adf31cfe4083f16d0eeb11f7053b929d.jpg

However, when I was watching the visa interview prep video on the US Embassy in Manila website, at 6:06 they state that originals are required.  Does anyone know which is correct?

Recollection is that the originals were sent to the USCIS/NVC, so I thought that they would have been forwarded to the embassy when our interview was scheduled. :( 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
25 minutes ago, pcpro178 said:

In the list of required documents for the interview it states that photocopies of the I-864 Affidavit of Support forms is acceptable:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/interview-prepare/required-documents.html

i864copies.jpg.adf31cfe4083f16d0eeb11f7053b929d.jpg

However, when I was watching the visa interview prep video on the US Embassy in Manila website, at 6:06 they state that originals are required.  Does anyone know which is correct?

Recollection is that the originals were sent to the USCIS/NVC, so I thought that they would have been forwarded to the embassy when our interview was scheduled. :( 

Follow the EMBASSY instructions letter, what is stated on the DOS website may not be what the embassy requires.   They do not state "copies", except for the tax return ;) 

" EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT. Applicants must provide evidence that they will not become public charges (that is, dependent on U.S. government welfare and assistance).  Form I-864 Affidavit of Support for visa applicants in the IR, F, certain E visa categories, and following-tojoin employment (E) applicants, complete with copies of the sponsor’s U.S. federal income tax return (Form 1040) and wage statements (Forms W-2). The petitioner must provide an Affidavit of Support even if he/she has no income and even if a joint sponsor provides an Affidavit of Support reflecting sufficient funds to provide financial care.  "

https://ph.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2016/08/IV-Applicant-Interview-Preparation-Instructions-08112016-English-365KB.pdf

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/immigrant-visa-application.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 12/16/2017 at 5:26 PM, Hank_ said:

Follow the EMBASSY instructions letter, what is stated on the DOS website may not be what the embassy requires.   They do not state "copies", except for the tax return ;) 

" EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT. Applicants must provide evidence that they will not become public charges (that is, dependent on U.S. government welfare and assistance).  Form I-864 Affidavit of Support for visa applicants in the IR, F, certain E visa categories, and following-tojoin employment (E) applicants, complete with copies of the sponsor’s U.S. federal income tax return (Form 1040) and wage statements (Forms W-2). The petitioner must provide an Affidavit of Support even if he/she has no income and even if a joint sponsor provides an Affidavit of Support reflecting sufficient funds to provide financial care.  "

https://ph.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2016/08/IV-Applicant-Interview-Preparation-Instructions-08112016-English-365KB.pdf

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/immigrant-visa-application.html

Thanks so much for your assistance.  I've contacted the attorney who helped me with the original prep of the I-864 and she assures me that those originals were sent to the NVC (because the NVC supposedly requires originals) and that those originals would have been forwarded with the case paperwork to the US Embassy in Manila.  What do you think?

Because my departure (Dec 30) and interview (Jan 5) are so close, there are a few alternatives I'm considering:

1. The attorney is offering to send me new originals by email (for free), that I can sign, so they would effectively have a copied preparer/attorney signature and original, ink signature from myself.
  2. The attorney also offered to send me new physical originals with her ink signature (at mailing cost).
  3. My last option is to print out blank forms myself, hand-copy the information from the printed copies to the new originals, and sign new originals, prepared myself (no attorney).

Do you have any thoughts on what would be the best option?

They may not even ask for them. They haven't been asking now for 2 years. But its in the Embassy letter so best to be prepared. Complete your option 3 and you should have no problems.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

1 minute ago, Greenbaum said:

They may not even ask for them. They haven't been asking now for 2 years.

They do ask for the I-864 as this is required by law. The I-134 (for a K-1) is a tool to help the CO determine the public charge risk, but not required by law.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

They may not even ask for them. They haven't been asking now for 2 years. But its in the Embassy letter so best to be prepared. Complete your option 3 and you should have no problems.

That only applied to K-1 FIANCEE visas, not Immigrant visas.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, pcpro178 said:

Thanks so much for your assistance.  I've contacted the attorney who helped me with the original prep of the I-864 and she assures me that those originals were sent to the NVC (because the NVC supposedly requires originals) and that those originals would have been forwarded with the case paperwork to the US Embassy in Manila.  What do you think?

Because my departure (Dec 30) and interview (Jan 5) are so close, there are a few alternatives I'm considering:

1. The attorney is offering to send me new originals by email (for free), that I can sign, so they would effectively have a copied preparer/attorney signature and original, ink signature from myself.
  2. The attorney also offered to send me new physical originals with her ink signature (at mailing cost).
  3. My last option is to print out blank forms myself, hand-copy the information from the printed copies to the new originals, and sign new originals, prepared myself (no attorney).

Do you have any thoughts on what would be the best option?

I agree with the attorney that originals were sent to NVC and I agree that NVC will forward them to USEM ... after that ..  agreeing with your attorney?   NOPE!!!!  (kept it PG for the PC crowd .. :lol:  )

If you go by the Dept of State website it states you can bring copies to the interview... BUT that isn't what USEM wants.

FOLLOW THE EMBASSY INSTRUCTIONS LETTER ... it is THAT simple.

Option 1 would seem to work... after all it is YOUR signature on the I-864 that matters with USEM not your attorney's.   Just my opinion.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.