c4mpbell

Court records for beneficiary.

8 posts in this topic

Myself and my American partner are about to start our CR-1 visa journey and we would like some further advice. 

In 2014 i had to obtain a B2 visa to enter the states as I was previously arrested and charged. I was charged with assault aged 17 for punching someone in the face (now 30, worst mistake i ever made) No other crimes/arrests, not even a speeding fine. 

I was able to obtain the B2 visa in 2014 and have visited the states since on it. So obviously then they deemed my crime to not involve moral turpitude. 

Now my question is for the B2 visa I was not required to submit the court records. However my understanding is with an immigrant visa a court record is required to support the application. in 2014 I contact the court and requested the court record and they were unable to provide it and inst ad issued me with a letter saying the no longer hold the records. So I have no court records but a letter from the court in 2014 confirming no records (please see attached letter)

No idea if this makes it even pointless starting the journey. Thanks for taking your time to read this :) Scott & Steven

IMG_1205.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Is your record expunged after a certain period of time? For instance if you were to do a criminal database search would anything come up? If the answer is no then I would presume you no longer have a criminal record.

I know in Canada there is a Freedom of Information office that you can request specific information. You would expect a government agency of some kind to have a copy of the records somewhere if you need it for your immigration petition.

Expunged? No unfortunately. It will be forever on my criminal history in the UK. You cannot have records expunged.

Bear in mind this happened when I was 17. I’m sure i’ve Read that I would be dreamed a minor in the USA and my conviction would be considered differently. It’s already been considered by not to involve moral turpitude hence B2 issue. 

• 6 years later...
17 minutes ago, Shab9 said:

hi can you give a update on what happened please

The OP hasn't been on the forum for 5 and a half years, this is a really old thread. I'd suggest you start your own new thread with any questions. 

21 minutes ago, Shab9 said:

appleblossom thank you I saw you also had a similar situation with unattainable court records i believe

Nope, not me. But if you start a new thread with a relevant title, those with a similar experience will try and help I'm sure. 

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.