yndy

Moved while N-400 pending then got scheduled for interview

20 posts in this topic

Help me, need some advice:

While my N400 was pending I relocated from CA to TX. The fingerprinting was already done at the old address. After moving I submitted an address change form with the USCIS and received a confirmation from them. Now, I received an interview letter asking me to come to CA office for the interview.

What should I do?

#1. Fly to San Jose, CA to get an interview as scheduled.

#2. Contact USCIS right away, and notify my move for interview rescheduling in Texas State.

My concerns are, it will delay my case if I reschedule it and If I just fly back to San Jose and do interview there, do I have to fly back again for the oath ceremony?

Edited by yndy
incomplete

Journey to citizenship now. Finally the last one!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline
1 hour ago, yndy said:

While my N400 was pending I relocated from CA to TX. The fingerprinting was already done at the old address. After moving I submitted an address change form with the USCIS and received a confirmation from them. Now, I received an interview letter asking me to come to CA office for the interview.

What should I do?

#2. Contact USCIS right away, and notify my move for interview rescheduling in Texas State.

My concerns are, it will delay my case if I reschedule it and If I just fly back to San Jose and do interview there, do I have to fly back again for the oath ceremony?

Does your new address fall in the same district of the interviewing office? If not your case will be denied as its required to have lived in the same district for 3 months at least when application was filed.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Citizenship & Naturalization Based Resources/A Guide to Naturalization/PDFs/M-480.pdf

7 hours ago, yndy said:

What should I do?

your goal is to get the certificate ,no matter where you get it from... since you filed the AR11 address changed, there may be some delay between your address change and the interview schedule. its likely the turaround time is not enough for case transfer...the CA field office already reviewed your file and arranged interview before they are notified with your adress change and case transfer to Texas,which definitely willdelay your whole process. since interview is scheduled from CA office,they are still having your file everything.

if your moving just happened in 1 or 2  months, i will just follow the letter and fly to CA for interview. you have more than 50% chance of being allowed to finish the interview and move one big step forward to the finishing line... if you are declined to proceed the interview by  officer due to your moving out of the CA service territory(ithink the likelihood is low ), then you dont lose anything (just time and flight tickets money) as they will finalize your transfer on the scene,instead of you waiting at home  for system processing. which might fall.into the black hole.

if you get luck and approved on the interview, you denifitely will be happier to visit CA. again for the oath ceremony or they assign your oath at Texas..but anyway who cares about where you are having ceremony, all you wanted isthat certificate.

its like black Friday shopping, if you pickup at local store, you will get your item rightaway, but if you choose home delivery, it takes longer processing time from warehouse or delayef due to the high request volume in the holiday season.

H1b ---> EB-1A (I-140) ---> I-485 AOS(Green Card) ---> 5 years --->  US Citizenship N400 application

• Day 011/16/2017, e-filing N400
  • Day 3069/18/2018,  interview day--passed and in line for oath.
  • Day 332: 10/15/2018, Oath Day

• 7 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
On 11/26/2017 at 1:41 AM, BigDaddy28 said:

Does your new address fall in the same district of the interviewing office? If not your case will be denied as its required to have lived in the same district for 3 months at least when application was filed.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Citizenship & Naturalization Based Resources/A Guide to Naturalization/PDFs/M-480.pdf

That requirement has nothing to do with interviewing though. That requirement is only for filling. You have to continuously live for 3 months in the district which you file, which she did. There are not writing guidelines about a minimum time requirement to live in a district before an interview, so OP may still be fine.

I'm actually in the same case.

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

• 2 months later...
Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hello ,

Same thing just happened to me. Moved from TX to CA w months ago, now i get interview scheduled in TX.

Please if anyonr can let us know what did they do and what happend with them?

Timeline
2 hours ago, shadow11235 said:

Hello ,

Same thing just happened to me. Moved from TX to CA w months ago, now i get interview scheduled in TX.

Please if anyonr can let us know what did they do and what happend with them?

This should not be a problem. I was in the same case. The interviewing officer allowed to do the interview. But you will only be allowed to your oath ceremony in California. S/he will conduct the interview, after approving she will send your case over to the California USCIS where they will schedule your oath. In my case they'd initially accidentally scheduled me to take the oath in my old state, but they then rescheduled me (for same time/date) in my new state. It only took them 1 day to transfer the case over (this might have been due to how close the states are though).

Bring your state ID or DL with you to the interview (either Cali or Texas).

Edited by gnakr

Citizenship Journey:

Timeline
On 9/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, gnakr said:

This should not be a problem. I was in the same case. The interviewing officer allowed to do the interview. But you will only be allowed to your oath ceremony in California. S/he will conduct the interview, after approving she will send your case over to the California USCIS where they will schedule your oath. In my case they'd initially accidentally scheduled me to take the oath in my old state, but they then rescheduled me (for same time/date) in my new state. It only took them 1 day to transfer the case over (this might have been due to how close the states are though).

Bring your state ID or DL with you to the interview (either Cali or Texas).

Thanks @gnakr! I still have my TX DL, will bring with me. 

I am fine doing the interview anywhere, just dont want to fly to TX for them to tell me they need to reschedule in CA.

I filed online so am hoping the case transfer to CA shouldnt take long.

Timeline
8 hours ago, shadow11235 said:

Thanks @gnakr! I still have my TX DL, will bring with me. 

I am fine doing the interview anywhere, just dont want to fly to TX for them to tell me they need to reschedule in CA.

I filed online so am hoping the case transfer to CA shouldnt take long.

No problem!

1 hour ago, ohman said:

We were out of the country when we got our interview notice. I would fly back if i were you. Trouble is you will then habe to fly back for the ceremony. That is what i would do for sure though. 

Once he provides his new address to the IO, they'll move his case over to his new jurisdiction for oath scheduling. So he'll be doing his oath in Cali instead of flying back to Texas.

Citizenship Journey:

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi, 

In case anyone faces this situation, i can confirm same thing happened with me as @gnakr...Officer did the interview and transferred my file to Cali for oath scheduling. 

I am wondering if for the oath I need to have a Cali DL, as I still have my TX one for now...anyone knows if you are supposed to have the same DL as the state you are doing ur oath at. 

Thanks!

Timeline
1 hour ago, shadow11235 said:

Hi, 

In case anyone faces this situation, i can confirm same thing happened with me as @gnakr...Officer did the interview and transferred my file to Cali for oath scheduling. 

I am wondering if for the oath I need to have a Cali DL, as I still have my TX one for now...anyone knows if you are supposed to have the same DL as the state you are doing ur oath at. 

Thanks!

Glad it went well! The only documents they ask for at the oath is your green card and oath letter, they typically don't ask for an ID or DL, if they do the Texas one should be enough. Any old documents that you have like AED, temporary GC etc... can also be brought over to hand them, as they typically want to take back any old documents related to immigration. But if you don't have them anymore it'll be fine, as long as they get your current green card back.

Edited by gnakr

Citizenship Journey:

Timeline
3 hours ago, gnakr said:

Glad it went well! The only documents they ask for at the oath is your green card and oath letter, they typically don't ask for an ID or DL, if they do the Texas one should be enough. Any old documents that you have like AED, temporary GC etc... can also be brought over to hand them, as they typically want to take back any old documents related to immigration. But if you don't have them anymore it'll be fine, as long as they get your current green card back.

Great to know, Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing happened to me. I moved to New York and got the interview invitation in Wisconsin.  I went back for the interview.  But I wasn't that fortunate,😢 the officer canceled the interview and transferred the case to NY.  The reason was I had NY ID and wasn't Wisconsin resident anymore. If anyone in this situation, I recommend to call them. For some reason, they don't see address change. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.