darkhorse

overseas K1 filing

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
How about getting married and do a DCF or CR1 filing?

We have considered this and we know it would be the "easiest" method. I've lived many of my years overseas and can say, getting married just to make the process easier can have long term consequences.... enough said.

4ce772a081.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

We have considered this and we know it would be the "easiest" method. I've lived many of my years overseas and can say, getting married just to make the process easier can have long term consequences.... enough said.

I'm confused, why? You want to get married (hence you filing the 129f), so why would doing it in Germany or some other Euro country make a difference?

Edited by devilette

Darkhorse,

Dude.. check it at the door... people, out of the goodness of their heart, are trying to offer you some sense of direction. I can't disagree with your opinion of the people on the phones..there are examples of bad/mis-information dolled out by them here every day.. But I can tell you this much, you've been given some good advice above - by some who are probably more qualified to do so than you can imagine...

You asked a question: "Does anyone have any advice on where we should go next?" and got some really good answers. Of course you don't have to take it - but to direct your frustration at people who offer you thier experince and advice is just wrong.

You're right - chances are you're not the only GI to get married in Germany - that's actually probably the main reason K1s are handeled in Frankfurt only - closer to you guys... The whole process sucks - it's a matter of which one sucks the most... We'd all like to change it...

It's named Visa Journey for a reason...

Good luck.. we're all here to help each other not attack one another...

p.s.

Thanks for service our country :thumbs:

Edited by Karin und Otto

Timeline
Wow, are you picky. What a lack of respect for the gov't you work for - you can't even call agencies by their correct names. And you threaten doing this all illegally? That is a clear violation of TOS & will not be tolerated here. Might make your govermental job/pension a bit difficult though...

As far as filing from overseas, there's a button called 'search'. Might I suggest using it.

Picky? We have MILLIONS of illegal immigrants. I pay taxes and am trying to do it Legally. I dont think its too much to ask to get a person on the phone who can answer a question.

Lack of respect for the government I work for? Oh please... dont even go there. You dont have the slightest idea of where Ive been, What I've done and what I've sacrificed to protect this government.

I can call agencies by their correct name.. I simply refered to the agency I originaly dealt with (US Immigration and Naturalization Service...Look it up.)

What are you talking about me doing things illegally? I think I'm trying to do it morally and legally correct! Please dont lecture me when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh and we did the search feature and didnt find what we were looking for... if you can find it, please post a link and we will be very thankful.

to all others... sorry to sound so defensive but I feel like I was attacked from the very beginning...

4ce772a081.png

Timeline
Darkhorse,

Dude.. check it at the door... people, out of the goodness of their heart, are trying to offer you some sense of direction. I can't disagree with your opinion of the people on the phones..there are examples of bad/mis-information dolled out by them here every day.. But I can tell you this much, you've been given some good advice above - by some who are probably more qualified to do so than you can imagine...

You asked a question: "Does anyone have any advice on where we should go next?" and got some really good answers. Of course you don't have to take it - but to direct your frustration at people who offer you thier experince and advice is just wrong.

You're right - chances are you're not the only GI to get married in Germany - that's actually probably the main reason K1s are handeled in Frankfurt only - closer to you guys... The whole process sucks - it's a matter of which one sucks the most... We'd all like to change it...

p.s.

sorry guys... I wasnt directing my frustration at anyone in particular.... however, from the way I read "some" of the responses, there were some demeaning and offensive comments so I replied in kind.

As I said before, Im not about turning down advice...but I get really ticked by patronizing comments.

Your advice is the best I've heard yet. I didnt know Frankfurt handled K1's. we called them today and they said they didnt but I will try again tomorrow.

Again, thank you and I appreciate your comments.

4ce772a081.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Darkhorse,

p.s.

sorry guys... I wasnt directing my frustration at anyone in particular.... however, from the way I read "some" of the responses, there were some demeaning and offensive comments so I replied in kind.

As I said before, Im not about turning down advice...but I get really ticked by patronizing comments.

Your advice is the best I've heard yet. I didnt know Frankfurt handled K1's. we called them today and they said they didnt but I will try again tomorrow.

Frankfurt handles the Consulate part of the process (ie.. the interview and visa issuance) this is after the USCIS does there adjudication of the prerequisite I-129F petition. So if you are looking to file the petition with Frankfurt, the reply you will receive is NO we don't do that, because that is a fact. Your only option is to file the petition with the appropriate USCIS service center.

The instructions to the I-129F clearly indicate that if you live outside the United States, mail your petition to USCIS Service Center listed above that has jurisdiction over the last place you lived in the United States. NOTE: Your petition cannot be adjudicated at a USCIS office abroad.

We also have heard anectdotal evidence that the USCIS appears to only like US physical domiciles and not foreign or PO Boxes (including APO& FPO addresses)

YMMV

I guess what I meant by 'handle K1s' is that is the only Consulate in Germany that processes them (do the interview and/or issue the visa).. it should be (although I don't know for certain and don't want to mislead you) where your DCF would go through if you chose that route...But the people in Frankfurt are very nice and very helpful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Um, so, you need the K1 processing time to decide for reals if you want to get married? I think some people around here might have an issue with that, since we're all in a long line behind other filers and if those people are kinda just doing it while they take their time to get to know each other . . . not efficient. You say "easiest" like it's a bad thing. You want to get married right? So what you're saying is that getting married in order to, uh, get married is not a good idea? I think you should wait on the K1 process entirely until you know what you want.

As for the Frankfurt comment - You don't understand the process yet. And as for Frankfurt processing K1s - that doesn't necessarily help you since what you're concerned about at this point is the I-129F which is the portal document that gets your finacee to the K1 forms themselves - that second part of the process is ALWAYS handled at the embassies abroad.

But the first and best advice to offer is for you to calm down and not leap to take the heads off people who offer help because you asked questions here on a public message board. No one offended you or got snippy until you tried to rip meauxna a new one because you misunderstood what she posted. You keep making these big worded stands on issues, but no one is fighting with you, we're just pointing out that, unlike most of us, you have access to a process that we would sever valuable body parts to use. And you're with your loved one right now right? Try to pause and consider the audience here before you go off the deep end.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Timeline
Frankfurt handles the Consulate part of the process (ie.. the interview and visa issuance) this is after the USCIS does there adjudication of the prerequisite I-129F petition. So if you are looking to file the petition with Frankfurt, the reply you will receive is NO we don't do that, because that is a fact. Your only option is to file the petition with the appropriate USCIS service center.

The instructions to the I-129F clearly indicate that if you live outside the United States, mail your petition to USCIS Service Center listed above that has jurisdiction over the last place you lived in the United States. NOTE: Your petition cannot be adjudicated at a USCIS office abroad.

We also have heard anectdotal evidence that the USCIS appears to only like US physical domiciles and not foreign or PO Boxes (including APO& FPO addresses)

Thanks partner,

but- darn... now we're back to square one. We did in fact send it to the US Service Center having jurisdiciton over my last residence. They are the ones whos returned it saying since I live overseas, I have to apply overseas... which as you pointed out, wont happen. Talk about a catch 22!

I can understand the anecdotal evidence of not accepting APO box addresses but I think I have a good cause to fight it, if this is the reason for denial. In fact, the application asks if you are a U.S. servicemember serving overseas so I refuse to believe this is uncharted territory for them.

My biggest issue right now is actually being able to contact someone from a service center that processes I-129F's. After talking to the USCIS free number today (not free from Germany) and realizing they could not help me, they made it sound like it was a cardinal sin to ask for anyone other than them....who could not help me.

4ce772a081.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

I don't know if this will help you at all, or not.

I am applying for a K-1 for my fiance while I (USC) am living overseas. I am serving in the US Peace Corps. I have to keep a formal, physical 'Home of Record' back in the states. I use my sisters address.

When I filed the form, I stated that address was my residence but also included information about living overseas. I sent the form to the USCIS office governing that state (Vermont) I did not have any problems at that stage and received an approval.

Since I don't know exactly what all the information you put down was....I don't know if you did it the same or not.

Good Luck in re-filing.

Sue

grenada.gifusa.gif

"We owe something to extravagance for thrift and adventure go seldom hand in hand." JJC

Timeline

Um, so, you need the K1 processing time to decide for reals if you want to get married? I think some people around here might have an issue with that, since we're all in a long line behind other filers and if those people are kinda just doing it while they take their time to get to know each other . . . not efficient. You say "easiest" like it's a bad thing. You want to get married right? So what you're saying is that getting married in order to, uh, get married is not a good idea? I think you should wait on the K1 process entirely until you know what you want.

As for the Frankfurt comment - You don't understand the process yet. And as for Frankfurt processing K1s - that doesn't necessarily help you since what you're concerned about at this point is the I-129F which is the portal document that gets your finacee to the K1 forms themselves - that second part of the process is ALWAYS handled at the embassies abroad.

But the first and best advice to offer is for you to calm down and not leap to take the heads off people who offer help because you asked questions here on a public message board. No one offended you or got snippy until you tried to rip meauxna a new one because you misunderstood what she posted. You keep making these big worded stands on issues, but no one is fighting with you, we're just pointing out that, unlike most of us, you have access to a process that we would sever valuable body parts to use. And you're with your loved one right now right? Try to pause and consider the audience here before you go off the deep end.

OK, so we will continue...

Lets just say I have my personal reasons for filing the K1... Which was my orignal question.

Yep, FF already said we cant file the I-129F but I thought we would call them anyway...

Please dont ask me to calm down. I will respond as I see fit and I dont feel I was taking anyones heads who responds cordially. And please dont tell me no one offended me. I think that is for me alone to decide. And dont tell me I misunderstood someones comments. I can read very well and my comprehension level is quite good. So maybe I didnt misundertand...maybe she mis-spoke.

I have paused and considered the audience and I feel for all of you for having to deal with this process. So please dont get upset with me for getting upset with the INS (yeah, Im going to keep calling them that for now)

4ce772a081.png

Timeline
I don't know if this will help you at all, or not.

I am applying for a K-1 for my fiance while I (USC) am living overseas. I am serving in the US Peace Corps. I have to keep a formal, physical 'Home of Record' back in the states. I use my sisters address.

When I filed the form, I stated that address was my residence but also included information about living overseas. I sent the form to the USCIS office governing that state (Vermont) I did not have any problems at that stage and received an approval.

Since I don't know exactly what all the information you put down was....I don't know if you did it the same or not.

Good Luck in re-filing.

Sue

BINGO!

I think that might be my best course of action. My home of record is Louisiana so maybe I will try it that way... Im just worried about losing another month if something goes wrong... I guess the USCIS doesnt have much leaway for expatriates.

4ce772a081.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Right. Well, you do your thing your way making the calls to the people you think will help and I wish you the best of luck with all of it.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.