Thunderbolt

K-1 Visa New Application

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

My first post here. For the past week I've been reading a lot of this forum and guides. However few things are not clear to me.

I was told that this is the best site to get all the answers. I hope that I wont annoy any of you for asking some simple (to some of you) questions.

- When I gather all the documents, do I send them via mail, deliver them to Baltimore office (my nearest location) or do I deliver them to local Lockbox. I see 3 near by boxes, one in VA one in DC and one in MD. If I could do it in MD Lockbox it would save me whole day by traveling to Baltimore office.

- Some of the pages in the visa application state that they need to be signed in ink by beneficiary. Does it mean that I have to send her the form, she has to print it out and mail it to me?

- Her passport photos. Does she have to sign them in the back? She went to the store in Thailand, took the pictures, and instead of printing them there, she just sent me the files so I could print them here in US.

- In the RFE Master document, I see that some people failed to name the online site where they first met. For us it was 3 years ago and I don't remember the site. Shortly after we started talking we both deleted our profiles and moved to Line, Skype and FaceTime. What should I do in this case?

- After all papers are filed and the case is pending. How many times she will have to go to the US Embassy in Bangkok?

Thank you very much!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

1. You mail your packet the Dallas Lockbox. 

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/direct-filing-addresses-form-i-129f-petition-alien-fiancee

Most people do it with a signature confirmation and/or tracking to confirm it got there properly. 

2. I believe the only one she NEEDS to sign in person (with a "wet" signature) is her affidavit that she will marry you within 90 days. If she did not send you this original, she can mail it to you for your packet before you send it. 

3. You can print them out and write her name, just make sure it meets the US criteria for passport photos. Other places have different size photo requirements. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos.html

4. You need to name the website that you met to affirm that it is not an international marriage broker (Definition of an International Marriage Broker -- an entity (whether or not U.S.-based) that charges fees for providing matchmaking services or social referrals between U.S. citizens/permanent residents and foreign nationals.) - most people do this by printing the TOS for the websites that they met at. While I understand it was awhile ago - neither of you remember? It's kind of an important thing in the development of a relationship - what sites would you two both customarily have visited that you may have met each other? Showing old conversations is great - but you will have to prove you did not meet through an IMBA. 

5. She should only go to the embassy once for her interview, but may need to travel there for other things - some places require certain medical doctors for the exam and certain places to do translations of documents. This is a country specific question and I don't know about Thailand, but regardless, these things will not happen until closer to the end of your visa process. 

The fact that you are asking these questions shows that you are relatively unfamiliar with this process so please try to read up on it as much as you can so you know the expectations. 

There is a guide here on this site: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I just read thru the new application (as it did change from when i  did it in 2009 ) 

i dont see anyplace it says beneficary has to sign

it use to say name and address of bene had to be written in native language on 1 line but that is easy to do (go to google translate and type in English and do a translaiton and cut and paste it)  i did not see it there but i read thru fast

wet original signature on the intent to marry letter as said above

Have u met in person within 2 years of filling in the application question 53 / that is important

Timeline

Thank you both for very quick answers. I keep reading and more and more make sense. EandH0904 as you've said I am very unfamiliar with the process, hence thank you for some guidance in your post and pushing me into to the right direction. 

adil-rafa, the address in native language she can even email to me and I can paste it into the form. On one of the pages of the form I saw place for signature in ink. It's Part 5 point 6a. It's petitioners signature, not beneficiary. So you are right. I just need to read everything slower and be calm :)

Our 2 years anniversary after meeting in person will be in exactly 2 weeks. I'm planning on submitting the form in the middle of December so we will be good to go.

Thank you again for your help.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Our 2 years anniversary after meeting in person will be in exactly 2 weeks. I'm planning on submitting the form in the middle of December so we will be good to go.

Does thst mean in 2 weeks it's been two years since you met in person? Have you seen each other in the PAST two years 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

Does thst mean in 2 weeks it's been two years since you met in person? Have you seen each other in the PAST two years 

Yes. I've been to Thailand 5 times since then, and month ago she came to meet my family in Europe (I am US citizen but born in Europe). I have all boarding passes, itineraries (we flew a lot together while in Asia), and have a lot of pictures.

To prove that we've seen each other many times wont be a problem.

Timeline

I finally found the online site where we actually started talking. I've looked at the T&C and there is not much.

I wont name the site (since I don't know if it's allowed here), and you can see what do they say.

"We are 100% Free Dating website for Thai singles and foreigners. Any relationship you are looking for, friendships, romance, serious relationship or marriage. We provide convenient and fun instruments to connect and keep in touch with other members easily.
Such as sending messages sending Interest, sending kiss, greeting Card, sticker chat, voice calling, video chat and special gifts etc. You do not need to link multiple applications or multiple website."

Is that good enough to prove that they are not IMB?

Thank you

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Is that good enough to prove that they are not IMB?

Thank you

Since it specifically says it's free, I would think it will suffice. 

Timeline

I have last question for now.  Point 10 in the guide about the name change. My fiance has changed her name from her father's name to her mothers maiden name about 10 years ago. All her documents are in the new name. Should we plan for the need of a document stating her name change?

Thank you,

Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

What about copy of my passport? In the last 2 years I had 3 US passports (yes, I travel a lot). All 3 have arrival/departure stamps from Thailand. Do I need to really scan and print all 3 passports (every single page)?

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.