Momo12

K1 Visa Lawyer or no lawyer?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Let me explain to you my history. 

I am Japanese and have a Japanese passport. 

I was born and raised in Japan, went to high school in Canada and attended college in the US. 

During my time in college, I had to take a leave of absence but my then boyfriend (USC) wanted me to stay til the holidays in the US. 

Since I didn't want to violate anything by taking a leave of absence we decided to spend a weekend in Canada and then come back into the US using my visa waiver. 

Everything was going well, I went through no problem but then my then boyfriend was called into a room because they found something in his luggage. 

Since I was travelling with him, they also called me back into the room. The agents took a look at my passport, visa etc. 

After numerous questions, my student visa and visa waiver were revoked due to little to no ties to home (Japan). 

After the help from a lawyer, I currently have a B2, tourists visa and travel through the US no problem. I get the occasional "Why do you have a visa?"

but other than that no issues. 

I am currently thinking about starting the process for the K1 visa with my boyfriend (USC). 

I've been reading through forums and most of them say that you only need a lawyer if you have a complicated case. 

My question is, would my past experience getting my visa revoked be considered a "complicated case"? 

I don't think it sounds like you need a lawyer to file. It seems pretty straightforward. If they're concerned about your ties to Japan, it doesn't apply for a K1 anyways. I'd be more concerned if any charges resulted in the border crossing when 'something' was found in your boyfriends luggage. If there were no charges, then you should be good to go.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
9 hours ago, Momo12 said:

I was born and raised in Japan, went to high school in Canada and attended college in the US. 

During my time in college, I had to take a leave of absence but my then boyfriend (USC) wanted me to stay til the holidays in the US. 

Since I didn't want to violate anything by taking a leave of absence we decided to spend a weekend in Canada and then come back into the US using my visa waiver. 

Everything was going well, I went through no problem but then my then boyfriend was called into a room because they found something in his luggage. 

Since I was travelling with him, they also called me back into the room. The agents took a look at my passport, visa etc. 

After numerous questions, my student visa and visa waiver were revoked due to little to no ties to home (Japan). 

After the help from a lawyer, I currently have a B2, tourists visa and travel through the US no problem. I get the occasional "Why do you have a visa?"

I am currently thinking about starting the process for the K1 visa with my boyfriend (USC). 

I've been reading through forums and most of them say that you only need a lawyer if you have a complicated case. 

My question is, would my past experience getting my visa revoked be considered a "complicated case"? 

Hi, 

I think you are good to go without a lawyer since it is not a complicated case.

Good luck with your journey! :dancing:

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

Timeline
9 hours ago, GreatDane said:

I don't think it sounds like you need a lawyer to file. It seems pretty straightforward. If they're concerned about your ties to Japan, it doesn't apply for a K1 anyways. I'd be more concerned if any charges resulted in the border crossing when 'something' was found in your boyfriends luggage. If there were no charges, then you should be good to go.

There were no charges. Thanks for your reply!

3 minutes ago, Perfect two 💑 said:

Hi, 

I think you are good to go without a lawyer since it is not a complicated case.

Good luck with your journey! :dancing:

What a relief! Thank you for your reply!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
10 hours ago, Momo12 said:

You don't need a lawyer. Unless it's a very tricky case that has the potential to be denied. Yours sounds fine. Just do your research and ask relevant questions in here. I think a lawyer would be a waste of your money.

--- Beneficiary---

NOA1: 24 May 2017

No RFEs
NOA2: 09 September 2017
K1 received : 23 March 2018 :D

Next Step: Flight booked for 15 April 2018 - POE Washington Dulles

8 hours ago, Momo12 said:

There were no charges. Thanks for your reply!

What a relief! Thank you for your reply!

Then yes - save yourself the money. It really adds up. The initial petition might be a bit overwhelming but you get used to it. Make sure to make a copy of everything you submit and (optional) keep copies of the major petitions until you get the 10 year GC many years down the road. When we had to fill out ROC and naturalization paperwork, it was impossible to remember dates for student jobs and places we lived in Denmark as it was so many years ago. Having copies of the original K1 and AOS really helped save us from guessing.

Timeline
On 11/10/2017 at 4:20 PM, GreatDane said:

Then yes - save yourself the money. It really adds up. The initial petition might be a bit overwhelming but you get used to it. Make sure to make a copy of everything you submit and (optional) keep copies of the major petitions until you get the 10 year GC many years down the road. When we had to fill out ROC and naturalization paperwork, it was impossible to remember dates for student jobs and places we lived in Denmark as it was so many years ago. Having copies of the original K1 and AOS really helped save us from guessing.

Thanks so much for the advice! Will definitely remember to keep copies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.