Roper-Harrison

WHO MAKES THE CR1/IR1 DETERMINATION

6 posts in this topic

We're are using DCF (London) to acquire my spousal immigrant visa. The process seems to be going both very smoothly and quite rapidly. We'd like to know which USG official will ultimately decide if I am granted either a Conditional (CR1 2 year) or Immediate (IR1 10 year) Residency Card. Is this determination made by the Consular officer at the end of the Interview or is it made by the USCIS at the POE? We are timing our process to coincide with the granting of a 10 year residency card. It's our understanding that this decision is based upon how long we have been married (minimum two years) so it is important that we know when the determination will be made and by which USG official. Thanks! :D

Whether you receive a CR1 or IR1 is determined at the point of entry. If you have been married for two years on that date then you will be granted an IR1 (10 year card). 

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Make sure you point out to the officer who processes you at POE that you have been married two years so he gets your classification correct. Sometimes they are on auto-pilot and get it wrong, then you have to get it all corrected after the fact. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Roper-Harrison said:

We're are using DCF (London) to acquire my spousal immigrant visa. The process seems to be going both very smoothly and quite rapidly. We'd like to know which USG official will ultimately decide if I am granted either a Conditional (CR1 2 year) or Immediate (IR1 10 year) Residency Card. Is this determination made by the Consular officer at the end of the Interview or is it made by the USCIS at the POE? We are timing our process to coincide with the granting of a 10 year residency card. It's our understanding that this decision is based upon how long we have been married (minimum two years) so it is important that we know when the determination will be made and by which USG official. Thanks! :D

The card is issued in the US.  If you have been married longer than 2 years when the card is issued they will usually issue you a 10-yr card.  If you have been married longer than 2 years when you file at the consulate they will issue an IR-1 visa and will mail you a 10-yr card when you arrive to the US.

• 11 months later...

Following on from my husband's question above.....

I was given a CR-1 visa on 1st June in London, even though at that point my husband and I had been married for over 2 years.  I don't think I questioned it at the time but in hindsight, I probably should have.

POE into the States was September 26th 2018.  I passed all my details over the customs guy and he flicked through my pack, then proceeded to stamp on my passport and wrote CR-1.  

I politely asked why I was only issued a CR-1 when we had been married for over 2 years.  The customs guy told me I would need to go to the local immigration office to get this changed.

My husband and I looked at each other very confused.  I politely asked again is there any possibility of him changing from CR-1 to IR-1 and he said he would ask his superior.

SUCCESS!  When he returned, the CR-1 was crossed out and replaced with the IR-1. 

I was very happy!  My persistence paid off.

I also asked re social security and was told to go to the social security office in town.  Which I did two days later.  An hour's wait and more form filling and my social security application was processed!! 

Hope this helps someone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.