mnb2015

What is the BEST evidence for marriage when you have a limited financial situation?

6 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I fell in love pretty young in our early 20's, and had no intentions of stopping our professional plans that include a lot more schooling ahead of us. As a result, we have a very limited financial set-up regarding commingled finances now that we are married. Here's a full list of evidence we are using for the 751:

2 joint Joint bank accounts with months of statements to back it up

A joint investment in stock

joint life insurance

power of attorney

living will

affidavits from family

honey moon in europe receipts, pictures, etc

my husband has a state ID (rather than a drivers license just yet)

mail to same address

landlord agreement (FROM MY PARENTS….we live at home while trying to finish schooling! To say the least they are very wonderful people :D)

amazon prime membership 

photos with family and friends

proof of schooling (online college)

proof of our online business (we became entrepreneurs…making a little bit of money finally) 

HOWEVER….we do not have the taxes, lease, mortgage, or huge bills that USCIS considers pretty important. The reason is mainly because we study overtime each day completing our schooling as quickly as possible so we can move on with our lives as well as working on our entrepreneurial pursuits. My parents are very kind and generous people, believing with the help we receive now that we will be fully independent without a lot of debt after our schooling is over, which I greatly appreciate. My family is very close knit and we have always stuck together.  We are not currently working because the online business is making some money now (not a huge amount though) but I think I should add a part time job pretty soon here to smooth things out. 

Should I make an explanation to USCIS regarding this set up? Am I missing any other pieces of evidence anyone suggests?

Thank you all so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your explanation letter will be key with your situation.  But I do not understand your statement not about not having tax returns.  If you did not make enough money to have to file taxes, you will definitely need to explain this.

Be sure to admit up front that you may not look like most couples,  but there is a good reason.  

Best of luck.

Sukie in NY

Edited by Sukie
typo
Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Sukie is right: definitely send a careful explanatory letter. More generally, it helps, I think, to use a framework to  organize (and find) evidence of a bona fide marriage. Here's one that I've adopted below. I use a star rating to represent the (subjective) strength of some examples of the evidence (*** for strong/verifiable/difficult to fake; ** moderate; * weak). Using multiple corroborating evidence for each section below, you want to show, from the date of marriage to the present, that you both:

Cohabit (CRITICAL):

• Government IDs with same addresses***
  • Signed lease agreements with both names**
  • Bills in both names for utilities that are home-specific (electric, gas, cable, land lines but not cell phones)**
  • Renters insurance policy in both names**
  • Correspondence in both names*
  • Your letter to USCIS/affidavits explaining your living circumstances*

Co-mingle finances (CRITICAL):

Assets jointly owned

• Titles for significant assets (real estate, cars,  collectibles, etc.) in both names***
  • Joint financial account (bank, investment) statements with transaction history**
  • Your letter to USCIS/affidavits explaining your financial practices*

Liabilities jointly responsible for

• Tax returns/transcripts showing Married Filed Joint status***
  • Joint credit card statements**
  • Joint mortgage/car loan/personal loan docs**
  • Signed lease agreements with both names**
  • Utility bills in both names**
  • Your letter to USCIS/affidavits explaining your financial practices*

Share life experiences:

• Birth certificates of children you've had together**
  • Travel documentation in both names (boarding passes/hotel receipts > bookings) **
  • Well chosen pictures of you together (e.g., to support travel above, or child birth above, or other major family events)*
  • Shared memberships*
  • Your letter to USCIS/affidavits explaining your shared experiences*

Plan for the future together:

• Beneficiary nominations on retirement accounts**
  • Child savings accounts**
  • Wills***
  • Estate trust documents***
  • Power of attorney***
  • Joint life insurance policies***
  • Your letter to USCIS/affidavits explaining your future plans*

I would aim to provide at least 2-3 of the evidence in each section (the weaker the evidence you have, the more the corroboration you might need). Where you're lacking, explain why in your letter, or be creative in looking for alternative evidence. Hope this helps.

Edited by afrocraft

im somewhat worried not i have like maybe 1 or 2 max in each category honestly haven't had the money to do most of those things im filing late already with 3 weeks left due to finances but i have all my statements from everything for the last 3 years 

15 hours ago, mnb2015 said:

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I fell in love pretty young in our early 20's, and had no intentions of stopping our professional plans that include a lot more schooling ahead of us. As a result, we have a very limited financial set-up regarding commingled finances now that we are married. Here's a full list of evidence we are using for the 751:

2 joint Joint bank accounts with months of statements to back it up

joint life insurance

power of attorney

living will

affidavits from family

honey moon in europe receipts, pictures, etc

my husband has a state ID (rather than a drivers license just yet)

mail to same address

landlord agreement (FROM MY PARENTS….we live at home while trying to finish schooling! To say the least they are very wonderful people :D)

amazon prime membership 

photos with family and friends

proof of schooling (online college)

proof of our online business (we became entrepreneurs…making a little bit of money finally) 

HOWEVER….we do not have the taxes, lease, mortgage, or huge bills that USCIS considers pretty important. The reason is mainly because we study overtime each day completing our schooling as quickly as possible so we can move on with our lives as well as working on our entrepreneurial pursuits. My parents are very kind and generous people, believing with the help we receive now that we will be fully independent without a lot of debt after our schooling is over, which I greatly appreciate. My family is very close knit and we have always stuck together.  We are not currently working because the online business is making some money now (not a huge amount though) but I think I should add a part time job pretty soon here to smooth things out. 

Should I make an explanation to USCIS regarding this set up? Am I missing any other pieces of evidence anyone suggests?

Thank you all so much.

Health insurance? How have you been filling taxes? what's the source of your income for the last two years if the online business is just starting to be profitable?

Hi @Sukie, longtime no see.

@mnb2015: I think you'll be OK with what you have.

2 joint Joint bank accounts with months of statements to back it up 
joint life insurance
power of attorney
living will
affidavits from family

These are more than enough given your situation. I should point out that monthly statements with very little or no account activity will not be much help. Like @afrocraftsaid, co-mingling of finances is very critical.  Taxes can help a great deal but it's not critical. I made it through AOS, ROC and Naturalization without showing a single tax return. My wife and I have always filed separately because that gets her lower monthly payments on student loans. I took 3 years of tax transcripts for both of us to my naturalization interview just incase but was never asked so I did not present it.

Good Luck!

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.