SRulla

Help with joint bank account

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi guys,

we've been trying to add me to my husbands bank account at Chase but got denied. They said that I need a proof of residency and my passport. For a proof of residency they accept utility bills or a state id. They won't accept our lease. We don't have utility bills under my name cause I don't have a bank account in the US. And I can't get a state id without a utility bill or bank statement. But it's advised to show a joint bank account at the Greencard interview. I feel stuck in a loop where I can't get one without the other. Does anyone know whether different banks have different requirements or what else I could do? We're in Chicago, Illinois and I do have a SSN number. 

Thanks for your help!

Stef

12-07-16: IF-1296 sent

12-13-16: NOA1

3-16-17: NOA2 (USCIS website and Case  Tracker, after 93 days)

3-21-17: NOA2 letter 

4-5-17: NVC Number received & case sent out to embassy (19 days after NOA2)

4-12-17: Case arrived at the embassy in Frankfurt

4-13-17: CEAC status changed to "Ready"

4-20-17: Received Packet 3 and sent it back 

4-26-17: Received Packet 4

5-15-17: Interview appointment (Frankfurt, Germany) - APPROVED!!

7-3-17: POE Chicago ❤️

8-5-17: MARRIED!!!

8-17-17: Sent out application for AOS, EAD and AP

8-30-17: NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

9-1-17: Received NOA1 by text and email

9-6-17: Received NOA1 by mail

9-20-17: Biometrics appointment done

10-18-17: Status update "Ready to be scheduled for an interview"

11-6-17: RFE because of name change

12-5-17: EAD & AP Combo card received

6-14-18: Interview was scheduled

9-6-18: Greencard interview - approved

6-15-20: Sent out application for ROC

6-18-21: Biometrics appointment letter received

7-7-21: Biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Chase was really strict with me as well.  I couldn't add my name to my husband's accounts until after the Green Card.  :/ 

My husband and I opened an account with a different bank that wasn't as strict so we could have a "joint bank account." Not all banks are as strict as Chase. 

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Michelle13
K1 Visa
08/15/14 - Filed
08/25/14 - Acceptance email sent
08/26/14 - Alien Registration Number changed.
10/17/14 RFE was received
10/23/14 RFE/I-195F mailed back to USCIS
11/05/14 I-129F Petition Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!
12/10/14 U.S. Consulate received case in the mail!!
12/19/14 Submitted DS-160 online form.
01/15/15 Submitted Package 3 Checklist for a request for interview!
01/16/15 Consulate sent me packet to prepare for my interview/medical!
02/20/15 Physical
02/24/15 Visa Interview/APPROVED!!!!!!! (6 months!!)

AOS

05/16/15 - Filed for Adjustment of Status and Work Permit

05/22/15 - Acceptance email sent along with NOA’s mailed.

06/16/15 Biometrics Appointment
1/22/2016: INTERVIEW!!/APPROVED!!!
2/2016: Received GREEN CARD!!! (8 months)

I-751 - ROC

11/1/2016: Filed

11/3/2016: NOA

11/19/2016: NOA 2

12/06/2016 Biometrics Appointment

1/17/2018: Info Pass - Passport Stamped

5/31/2018: Emailed received that GC is being mailed. 

4 minutes ago, SRulla said:

Hi guys,

we've been trying to add me to my husbands bank account at Chase but got denied. They said that I need a proof of residency and my passport. For a proof of residency they accept utility bills or a state id. They won't accept our lease. We don't have utility bills under my name cause I don't have a bank account in the US. And I can't get a state id without a utility bill or bank statement. But it's advised to show a joint bank account at the Greencard interview. I feel stuck in a loop where I can't get one without the other. Does anyone know whether different banks have different requirements or what else I could do? We're in Chicago, Illinois and I do have a SSN number. 

Thanks for your help!

Stef

Go to Bank of America. All I needed to present was my SSN and passport. Me and my husband opened a joint bank account and they accepted it. It was also what I showed to the officer last Monday during my interview. 

Best of luck!

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
12 minutes ago, SRulla said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help!

Stef

Sorry to hear you had this trouble. I would try a different Chase location and if you have more trouble, ask for a manager. We added my husband to my Chase accounts (also in Chicago) with no problem at all, before we even filed for his AOS. He did not have a green card OR even a state ID at the time. We took his passport, Social Security card, our lease, marriage certificate (though I don't think they even looked at this), and his translated birth certificate (don't remember if they looked at this), and they added him to all my accounts on the spot. If it helps, we went to the Chase branch at 1825 W. Lawrence (over a year ago). 

Also, you can get a state ID without utility bills (we have also done this successfully), however they wouldn't issue my husband an ID until he received his EAD (they would have taken green card too, whichever he got first). Though the main page of the Illinois DMV site lists utility bills/bank statements as proof of residency, they also accept many other documents for this as well, including leases. The full list is here: http://ilsos.net/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x173.pdf

I believe we needed one item each from A, B, C, and D, but I know we used our lease for D.

Long story short, we had to wait no time at all to get him on my bank accounts, and had to wait forever to get him an ID. 

Hope this helps!

AOS Journey

*Delay in filing due to typo on visa which took many calls, an InfoPass appointment, and about two months to resolve.

AOS/EAD/AP applications sent: 11/30/2016

NOA: 12/2/2016

RFE notice rec'd online: 12/21/2016

Biometrics appt. letter rec'd: 12/27/2016

RFE letter rec'd: 12/30/2016

Biometrics appointment: 1/4/2017

RFE response sent: 1/9/2017

RFE response receipt notice: 1/11/2017

Case status update text: 1/21/2017 (but no actual update available)

EAD/AP approval notice/card ordered (email and online): 2/13/2017

EAD/AP card mailed (e-notification): 2/15/2017

EAD/AP card received: 2/17/2017

Service request submitted: 7/11/2017

Service request processed: 8/4/2017

Service request response received (with no update): 8/9/2017

Interview letter received: 10/18/17

Interview appointment: 11/15/17

Approval: 11/15/17 

K1 Journey

Sent I-129F Packet: 11/25/2015
NOA1 (official date from hard copy): 12/2/2015

NOA1 e-notification: 12/3/2015

NOA2: 1/7/2016

Interview: 4/7/2016 - Approved!

Arrival: 5/30/2016 (POE Chicago O'Hare)

Marriage: 7/9/2016

Second (big) wedding: 11/12/2016

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Tell you what....go to walmart and get one year of fishing and hunting license(they wont ask for address proof so you can manually tell them your address and that will be displayed on your hunting /fishing license)..it costs about $15 or $18. Take that hunting license as a proof of address to get a state ID or TEMPS at your local Motor Vehicle Bureau and then go to your bank ! end of the day you will have a State ID or License as well as a bank account. I did the same by reading " Acceptable Documents List" on BMV. 

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
3 hours ago, TheSkywalkers said:

Go to Bank of America. All I needed to present was my SSN and passport. Me and my husband opened a joint bank account and they accepted it. It was also what I showed to the officer last Monday during my interview. 

Best of luck!

Thank you. I was trying to find out what Bank of America requires online but couldn't find it. We will try at there if we can't figure out a way to just add me to his existing Chase account.

3 hours ago, EE&MY said:

Sorry to hear you had this trouble. I would try a different Chase location and if you have more trouble, ask for a manager. We added my husband to my Chase accounts (also in Chicago) with no problem at all, before we even filed for his AOS. He did not have a green card OR even a state ID at the time. We took his passport, Social Security card, our lease, marriage certificate (though I don't think they even looked at this), and his translated birth certificate (don't remember if they looked at this), and they added him to all my accounts on the spot. If it helps, we went to the Chase branch at 1825 W. Lawrence (over a year ago). 

Also, you can get a state ID without utility bills (we have also done this successfully), however they wouldn't issue my husband an ID until he received his EAD (they would have taken green card too, whichever he got first). Though the main page of the Illinois DMV site lists utility bills/bank statements as proof of residency, they also accept many other documents for this as well, including leases. The full list is here: http://ilsos.net/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x173.pdf

I believe we needed one item each from A, B, C, and D, but I know we used our lease for D.

Long story short, we had to wait no time at all to get him on my bank accounts, and had to wait forever to get him an ID. 

Hope this helps!

I had the exact same paper work with me but they told me they stopped accepting the lease as address prove. This just doesn't make sense to me at all. My husband is trying to add my name to our electricity bill. Hope that will work.

And thanks for the information about the ID. I guess I will try there without my EAD and hope I don't have to wait. 

3 hours ago, junaidjackie2016 said:

I'm in Chicago too :-) TCF was really easy, accomodating, understanding.

Thanks for the tip. We will try going there if we fail with our other options.

19 minutes ago, Aviinashh M said:

Tell you what....go to walmart and get one year of fishing and hunting license(they wont ask for address proof so you can manually tell them your address and that will be displayed on your hunting /fishing license)..it costs about $15 or $18. Take that hunting license as a proof of address to get a state ID or TEMPS at your local Motor Vehicle Bureau and then go to your bank ! end of the day you will have a State ID or License as well as a bank account. I did the same by reading " Acceptable Documents List" on BMV. 

Haha I kind of love this. This whole process is so crazy sometimes. I guess I will hunting/fishing license ;)

12-07-16: IF-1296 sent

12-13-16: NOA1

3-16-17: NOA2 (USCIS website and Case  Tracker, after 93 days)

3-21-17: NOA2 letter 

4-5-17: NVC Number received & case sent out to embassy (19 days after NOA2)

4-12-17: Case arrived at the embassy in Frankfurt

4-13-17: CEAC status changed to "Ready"

4-20-17: Received Packet 3 and sent it back 

4-26-17: Received Packet 4

5-15-17: Interview appointment (Frankfurt, Germany) - APPROVED!!

7-3-17: POE Chicago ❤️

8-5-17: MARRIED!!!

8-17-17: Sent out application for AOS, EAD and AP

8-30-17: NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

9-1-17: Received NOA1 by text and email

9-6-17: Received NOA1 by mail

9-20-17: Biometrics appointment done

10-18-17: Status update "Ready to be scheduled for an interview"

11-6-17: RFE because of name change

12-5-17: EAD & AP Combo card received

6-14-18: Interview was scheduled

9-6-18: Greencard interview - approved

6-15-20: Sent out application for ROC

6-18-21: Biometrics appointment letter received

7-7-21: Biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
3 minutes ago, SRulla said:

Thank you. I was trying to find out what Bank of America requires online but couldn't find it. We will try at there if we can't figure out a way to just add me to his existing Chase account.

I had the exact same paper work with me but they told me they stopped accepting the lease as address prove. This just doesn't make sense to me at all. My husband is trying to add my name to our electricity bill. Hope that will work.

And thanks for the information about the ID. I guess I will try there without my EAD and hope I don't have to wait. 

Thanks for the tip. We will try going there if we fail with our other options.

Haha I kind of love this. This whole process is so crazy sometimes. I guess I will hunting/fishing license ;)

wish you allllllllthe best :) 

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.