2,916 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Hope953 said:

As long as your spouse is a us citizen you can file while your petition for Vawa is pending. You’re self petitioning so nothing is needed from your spouse. Except proof that he is a citizen which classified you as an immediate family

Unfortunately, I don't have any document to attest to his citizenship, all I have is his social. I know for sure he is a green card holder though. I read on one of the post that there is a way to have USCIS check for me?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
9 minutes ago, sunkissed1 said:

Unfortunately, I don't have any document to attest to his citizenship, all I have is his social. I know for sure he is a green card holder though. I read on one of the post that there is a way to have USCIS check for me?

Since he is a green card holder I believe you have to wait until your Vawa is approved before you can file your work permit and once a visa number is available you can file to adjust your status. Hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong

Edited by Hope953
Forget to mention something

Just now, Hope953 said:

Since he is a green card holder I believe you have to wait until your Vawa is approved before you can file your work permit and once a visa number is available you can file to adjust your status 

He could be a citizen, just don't know because he never discloses those information to me. He tells everyone he is a citizen but I don't trust anything that comes out of his mouth.

Timeline
1 minute ago, sunkissed1 said:

He could be a citizen, just don't know because he never discloses those information to me. He tells everyone he is a citizen but I don't trust anything that comes out of his mouth.

If you believe he is a citizen being born here, you can get a copy of his birth certificate from vital records. If he is naturalized I believe uscis will try to find his info in the system

10 minutes ago, Hope953 said:

If you believe he is a citizen being born here, you can get a copy of his birth certificate from vital records. If he is naturalized I believe uscis will try to find his info in the system

If he is, then it will be through naturalization. He sure wasn't born here. How do I get USCIS to check this info for me in order to make a decision? Thanks

Edited by sunkissed1

Timeline
5 minutes ago, sunkissed1 said:

If he is, then it will naturalization. He sure wasn't born here. How do I get USCIS to check this info for me in order to make a decision? Thanks

Sandra would be the better to ask pertaining to that part.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
11 hours ago, sandranj said:

Today is  "Domestic Violence Awareness Day". We  honor  those that have died due to domestic violence and we support the survivors . Make a fashion statment today and wear something PURPLE. 

As a domestic violence advocate  I want to say a special thanks to  Visa Journey and to all moderators who  keeps this site working. Visa Journey changed so many  lives, specially those fleeing violence. Here the survivors can  exchange experience, obtain information about  VAWA Law, find people who were abused and develop friendship.

To the survivors I want to say  that I am so sorry about what you went through. Do not blame yourself because abuse cannot be justtified.  Do not be ashamed, the abuse inflicted upon you cannot and should not dimish your worth, your life is precious. Rise above the abuse you experienced. Please step up and speak out against abuse.

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 2.36.29 PM.png

Thank you Sandra. Although we are from different countries and areas, I am so grateful for the support and comfort that I have gained from this forum. 

10 minutes ago, Hope953 said:

Sandra would be the better to ask pertaining to that part.

Hi everybody

this place is very unique ( you can easily call this, family of perfect strangers ), almost every body suffering same pain,

but bad time always goes away, we need to be always positive, i need a little help here

i just filed my WAVA on 10/05, after my spouse refuse to go for I-130 interview (long story), my spouse is USC,

is that helps, expedite my WAVA processing time, please reply, thanks, and keep tight, tomorrow is a good morning    

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 hours ago, asimove said:

Hi everybody

this place is very unique ( you can easily call this, family of perfect strangers ), almost every body suffering same pain,

but bad time always goes away, we need to be always positive, i need a little help here

i just filed my WAVA on 10/05, after my spouse refuse to go for I-130 interview (long story), my spouse is USC,

is that helps, expedite my WAVA processing time, please reply, thanks, and keep tight, tomorrow is a good morning    

No matter whether your spouse is USC or green card holder, you need to wait for the regular length of time. 

Hello.

I have a few questions:

1) Does it make any difference who files for divorce in a VAWA case? (My husband has been holding on to signed divorce papers, as a gambling and control tool for more than a month). I'm wondering if I should go ahead and file myself. 

2) if I file, do I have to list abuse as reason for dissolution of marriage? It is. I just need to know if that helps my case. 

3) do you know of any domestic violence centers or legal places that can help me with my VAWA case? I've contacted Catholic charities, they set me up with a free one hour session with attorney appointment next month very far from me. I went to 3 other places so far and two of them no longer exist. One referred me to the above. 

Please and thank you

4 hours ago, Gratitude said:

Hello.

I have a few questions:

1) Does it make any difference who files for divorce in a VAWA case? (My husband has been holding on to signed divorce papers, as a gambling and control tool for more than a month). I'm wondering if I should go ahead and file myself. 

2) if I file, do I have to list abuse as reason for dissolution of marriage? It is. I just need to know if that helps my case. 

3) do you know of any domestic violence centers or legal places that can help me with my VAWA case? I've contacted Catholic charities, they set me up with a free one hour session with attorney appointment next month very far from me. I went to 3 other places so far and two of them no longer exist. One referred me to the above. 

Please and thank you

1) Makes no difference who files. I would suggest you file yourself if he is using divorce papers as another means to hold power over you. 

2) This depends on which state you live in. For example, California is a no fault divorce state, so you have to file because of irreconcilible differences. But look up what it says for your state. 

3) This also depends where you live. I think most domestic violence help centers are somewhat local. Let us know where you are located and I’m sure someone has experience in that area. 

1 minute ago, iwillsurvive said:

Let us know where you are located and I’m sure someone has experience in that area. 

@iwillsurvive Ugh! I forgot to mention I'm in LA. That's what happens when you post at 3am. 

Thanks for the info. I guess, I will file and use irreconcilable. 

Please anybody who knows of organizations hat can help me with free or affordable legal aidin LOs Angeles. I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
20 hours ago, iwillsurvive said:

Can you go to ang doctor to get the medical done? Do they know what tests need to be done? Or are there designated doctors you need to go to? 

I would like to choose a doctor in my network so my insurance covers the cost. Hopefully that’s possible!

You need to go  to one of the doctors authorized by USCIS.

Filed: Other Country:
Timeline
11 hours ago, asimove said:

Hi Bold. Can you please share your timeline? please

thanks

Asimov, kindly check 6 pages back, I posted the timeline. Hope it helps and hope ur wishes come through soonest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.