5 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi all,

I've been trying to find some insights about my situation and decided to see if anyone has been in a similar situation and can give some advice. I am currently a F1 student doing my phd (third year). I got married to a USC 4 months ago and we've filed the appropriate forms for me to get a GC. My husband will be graduating in December and he will be relocating for a job. I want to quit my program at the end of the semester and relocate with him. Will this put my GC in jeopardy of being approved? The stipend that I am getting from my school is also part of the I-864. I plan on finding a job once I receive my EAD, even if my AOS is pending, then start another doctoral program next fall. Will doing any of this risk my chances of getting my green card approved? Any advice? I am quitting my phd because it is also taking a toll on me mentally. I just wanted to make sure that if I do all of the above mentioned, I will not be risking my chances of getting a GC. I am waiting for my appointment to do my biometrics now. Thank you so much for reading this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Quitting school will not affect your AOS. Since you included your stipend as part of the income on i-864 it could create a problem but since you intend to find a job after you get you EAD then that should take care of that issue. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 30/08/2017 at 6:32 PM, 0dette said:

Hi all,

I've been trying to find some insights about my situation and decided to see if anyone has been in a similar situation and can give some advice. I am currently a F1 student doing my phd (third year). I got married to a USC 4 months ago and we've filed the appropriate forms for me to get a GC. My husband will be graduating in December and he will be relocating for a job. I want to quit my program at the end of the semester and relocate with him. Will this put my GC in jeopardy of being approved? The stipend that I am getting from my school is also part of the I-864. I plan on finding a job once I receive my EAD, even if my AOS is pending, then start another doctoral program next fall. Will doing any of this risk my chances of getting my green card approved? Any advice? I am quitting my phd because it is also taking a toll on me mentally. I just wanted to make sure that if I do all of the above mentioned, I will not be risking my chances of getting a GC. I am waiting for my appointment to do my biometrics now. Thank you so much for reading this.

I'd say continue with your current job (because on AOS application you have mentioned that you are working for company X and must have submitted salary slips from company X) so work here until your get your EAD because it will take you atleast 3 months to get your EAD after filing for AOS and once you get your EAD then look for a new job and once you have your interview date, you can take the new company's job offer letter with you to the interview showing that you have changed your employer. 

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

EAD comes within 3-4 months usually, so depending on timeline you may have it before December even. I don't think it would be a huge deal to quit your job, especially if it meant staying with your spouse when they move in December. Only issue would be I-864, but if you get a new job before your interview, you'll be able to provide all that updated info anyways.

03/11/2016 Met in person for first time (Talked online for nearly a year prior as friends playing online games)

03/29/2016 Officially started dating

09/29/2016 Engaged

10/20/2016 Married at SF Courthouse

12/14/2016 Mailed I-130, I-485 & I-765

12/20/2016 Delivered at Chicago Lock Box by UPS

01/04/2017 Received NOA via text and email for I-130, I-485 and I-765

01/05/2017 Both checks are cashed

01/09/2017 NOA received in mail for I-130, I-485 and I-765

01/23/2017 Biometrics Appointment notification received (Appt set for 02/02/17)

02/17/2017 I-485 Status updated to "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03/23/2017 Case Status updated to "EAD Card is being produced."

08/30/2017 Case status updated to "Interview Scheduled"

09/28/2017 Interview! Status updated to "New Card is being produced" shortly after interview!

10/06/2017 Green Card arrived!

Hi,

My husband was F1 OPT when we filled. He switched jobs but it didn't really matter because I also qualified alone as the sponsor.

On the job spectrum, if your spouse qualifies alone as your sponsor without your income then there should be no problem at all. But if your spouse is using your income to reach the poverty guideline amount then you will need to have a job that will qualify you two together as meeting or exceeding the USCIS poverty line.

I don't think the job is so much the issue as it is losing your F1 status. It may look like you got married to keep legal status and not be a student. But that is subjective and your mental health should come first.

Also, don't forget that with relocation your local field office will have to change. 

I am not an expert, this is based on my experiences and reading others experiences.

Wishing you the best!

Edited by lala52

ROC I-751 Husband GC CR6 EXP 08/19
5/23/19 Mailed to AZ Lockbox (I-751, G-1145, Check, Supporting Evidence) USPS Priority

5/31/19 Received text of receipt with WAC case number

6/4/19 Received NOA in Mail (18 month GC extension)

12/9/19 Received biometrics appts (12/18)

12/29/19 Rescheduled biometrics appt (New date 1/28)

3/11/20 Online Update-New Card being produced

3/16/20 Case approved NOA dated 3/11 (card can take up to 60 days)

3/16/20 Online- Card was mailed

3/19/20 Received Card

WAC Filers Timeline Document

Spoiler AoS I-485, EAD I-765, AP I-131 Husband

Filed Concurrently I-130 (F1-Husband), AoS I-485, EAD I-765, AP I-131

11/18/2016 – mailed the application. ; 11/20/2016 – delivered application to Chicago.

Day 1 11/21/2016 - PD (Priority Date) date of I-130 ; Day 17 12/7/2016 – checks cashed.

Day 18-19 12/8-9/2016 – text/email notification that your application has been received.

Day 24 12/14/2016 NOA received I-797C for I-485, I-131, I-765 and I-797C for I-130 mail notification.

Day 29 12/19/2016– received biometrics appointment notification. Mark your calendar to attend.

Day 40 12/30/2016 – do the biometrics appointment. Scheduled Day 47 1/3/2017 but completed Day 43.

Day 61 1/20/2017 Online status change-We are ready to schedule your I-485 form for an interview. We will schedule your interview and send you a notice.

Day 93 2/21/2017 Online status change-Approved your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. We will mail your approval notice.//Approved your Form I-131 (Advance Parole), Application For USCIS Travel Document. We will mail your approval notice.

Day 95 2/23/2017 Online status change- We mailed your new card for (I-765), to the address you gave us. If you do not receive your card by March 25, 2017 please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request that we send your new card to you.

Day 96 2/24/2017 Received Approval letters in the mail for I-765 and I-131.Day 99 2/27/2017 Received EADw/AP in mail.

Day 232  7/10/17 – interview appointment notification: Appt scheduled 7/7 for 8/9. ; Day 262  – the interview (Northern Virginia)

Day 270  New Card Being Produced ; Day 275  Card Mailed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.