Ab333

I 130 61a 62a

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Uruguay
Timeline

I am currently applying for my husband who is out of the united states and i am stumped on question 61a and 62b. They seem to contradict themselves.

61a states: The beneficiary is in the united atates and will apply for adj of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in.

My problem with this is he is not in the US but he will do an adjustment of status when he gets here. So i am assuming i would put N/A here. But then...

62a states: The beneficiary will not apply for adjustment of status in the US (which he will upon arriving), but he or she will apply for an immigrant visa abroad at the US embassy or US consulate in. 

This is where i am stumped. Because he will be applying for adjustment of status here in the US when he gets here. 

If I mark the city or town and country where he will apply for the visa 62a,  does this mean he cannot apply for adjustment of status here? Please help?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

No, he will not be applying for an adjustment of status after he arrives in the us. The cr-1/ir-1 visa automatically grants a green card once the holder enters the us.

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Timeline

Ok now i am confused. To verify

I send in the I130 along with I130a to uscis, then wait for a receipt and at this time i was told to send in the I129 (K3) for him and then they send that info to to NVC and that is where they set up an appt with the embassy in Uruguay (which is where he is). Then he comes here, and does an adjustment of status to have his permanent residency. 

But youre saying that he will automatically have his permanent residency? At the USCIS, i was told that this is the way i should do it. And they handed me the forms. Please tell me if i am doing this correctly? I havent even heard of a cr1/ ir1 visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ab333 said:

I send in the I130 along with I130a to uscis, then wait for a receipt and at this time i was told to send in the I129 (K3) for him and then they send that info to to NVC and that is where they set up an appt with the embassy in Uruguay (which is where he is). Then he comes here, and does an adjustment of status to have his permanent residency. 

But youre saying that he will automatically have his permanent residency? At the USCIS, i was told that this is the way i should do it. And they handed me the forms. Please tell me if i am doing this correctly? I havent even heard of a cr1/ ir1 visa.

In your case, sounds like you will be doing Consular prossessing since he is not in the US with you. Once you send in the I130 to USCIS, you wait for the receipt (NOA1) which is the Notice of Action. After receiving that, you have to wait for your petition to be approved, once approved you will receive your (NOA2). They will then send your file to the National Visa Center who will assign a case number, then forwarding your case to your embassy where he will be interviewed.

Timeline

Alright. I appreciate your help! Im still wondering what to put. I have another appt with USCIS soon. I want to make sure this is correct.

Thanks again!

Edited by Ab333

Timeline
6 hours ago, Ab333 said:

I am totally confused by what you were told. I can't believe that uscis told you that?

There are almost no k-3 visas granted any more. If you were filing for a k-3 then the information you were given was probably correct, but while some people still file for that the I-129 is almost always administratively closed and an cr-1/ir-1 is issued by the consulate.

Check out the guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Please note that some of the information is out of date (g-325a is no longer used), but it will give you an overview of the process.

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

*~*~*moved from "K-1 fiancé visa process and procedures" to "IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa process and procedures" as OP is married*~*~*

OP, when completing the I-130 you still need to state the interview location (which the consulate n the country where your husband lives or the one that his country uses if it does not have its own US consulate). The question about adjustment of status is only for people whose spouses are already in the USA on some other visa (work, study) at the time the I-130 is filed. This is not the case for you. Your husband will have a visa interview whether you apply for K-3 or CR-1. 

You are very unlikely to get a K-3 visa but it costs nothing to apply. I don't know why you would want one - a CR-1 is a far superior visa and enables him to work, drive, travel immediately upon arrival. He will be a green card holder from the minute his passport is stamped at the airport upon arrival. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Ok. I am not sure why it is i was told that then. What im hearing is is apply for I 130, I 130a, Ir1/ Cr1 and the electronic form. Why they would tell me to apply for I129f is beyond me. I am assuming that it was so he could come here faster to wait for the I130 to go through while in the US. Although, it doesnt seem by everyone comments (and thank you so much for all your advise ) that he would be likely to receive it. Thus I must wait for the I130 to go through for him to get here, which takes anywhere from 5-12 months. Up until a few days ago, it was stated in the USCIS website that I file the I 129f. Now i cant seem to find it anywhere. Things have obviously changed since I went to the USCIS office 4 months ago until now. 

Now my questions would be, what form is the Ir1/Cr1 form? What does it do? Is it the same as a I129f? Does that form cost in addition to the I130 or is it included? Do I send this form in with the I130? 

I cannot thank you all enough for all your help! 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Ab333 said:

Ok. I am not sure why it is i was told that then. What im hearing is is apply for I 130, I 130a, Ir1/ Cr1 and the electronic form. Why they would tell me to apply for I129f is beyond me. I am assuming that it was so he could come here faster to wait for the I130 to go through while in the US. Although, it doesnt seem by everyone comments (and thank you so much for all your advise ) that he would be likely to receive it. Thus I must wait for the I130 to go through for him to get here, which takes anywhere from 5-12 months. Up until a few days ago, it was stated in the USCIS website that I file the I 129f. Now i cant seem to find it anywhere. Things have obviously changed since I went to the USCIS office 4 months ago until now. 

Now my questions would be, what form is the Ir1/Cr1 form? What does it do? Is it the same as a I129f? Does that form cost in addition to the I130 or is it included? Do I send this form in with the I130? 

I cannot thank you all enough for all your help! 

The I-130 is the petition to show that you are eligible to apply for the ir1/cr1 visa. That visa is basically just an immigrant visa that allows a spouse to enter the us. When the spose enters the us on that visa they will immediately gain a green card and LPR status.

After the I-130 is approved, then the case will go to the national visa center (nvc). There you will begin the process of applying for the visa. You will have to pay fees for the visa application (iv fee) and affidavit of support (aos fee). I don't recall right now, but that will be about $400-500 combined.

Then the case will go to the consulate, where the interview will occur. Before the medical your husband will have to get a medical exam done, the cost varies but I believe that it is often around $200.

Finally once the visa is issued he will need to pay about $200 for the green card to be issued once he enters the us. But once he enters he will be able to immediately start working, etc.

So, on top of the $500 for the I-130, plan for another $800-1000. I realize that this probably sounds like a lot, but adjustment of status is actiallly even more expensive, and in this process you don't have to do that adjustment because he will enter and immediately have the LPR status.

The k3 really hasn't been used muh for a few years, it's not a recent thing in the last couple of months. Where did you go that you got that advice? The uscis people usually aren't that helpful, so I'm a bit doubtful that that is truely who you were talking to. Perhaps it was some other group that offers services counseling people in how to do this?

Edited by EG&XY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

No. Unfortunately, it was the USCIS office here. I made an appointment from the USCIS website, took all my info and they handed me all the forms. They truly confused me and that is why I am so stumped. They never once mentioned CR1 to me. The lady didnt seem like she knew all that much and thus I went to a lawyer consult. They basically told me the same thing. Neither one got into much detail with me which is why i didnt know that the I130 is the Cr1 visa form. They just told me that in order to get him here asap, i would need to file the 129f. I read over the site you sent (I was working so i couldnt read until now) and it explains a lot. 

So I mean I could file the I129f, but it seems like it would be more a hassle than anything. And I would assume that the processing times are about the same anyways. Does the time frame of 5-12 months, that I looked up for the processing time on the I130, sound about right to you? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ab333 said:

No. Unfortunately, it was the USCIS office here. I made an appointment from the USCIS website, took all my info and they handed me all the forms. They truly confused me and that is why I am so stumped. They never once mentioned CR1 to me. The lady didnt seem like she knew all that much and thus I went to a lawyer consult. They basically told me the same thing. Neither one got into much detail with me which is why i didnt know that the I130 is the Cr1 visa form. They just told me that in order to get him here asap, i would need to file the 129f. I read over the site you sent (I was working so i couldnt read until now) and it explains a lot. 

So I mean I could file the I129f, but it seems like it would be more a hassle than anything. And I would assume that the processing times are about the same anyways. Does the time frame of 5-12 months, that I looked up for the processing time on the I130, sound about right to you? 

Yes, as mentioned before, you can try for the k-3 by concurrently filing the I-129, but it will almost certainly be administratively closed. And then you just wasted the time (putting together the documents) and money doing the I-129 at the same time as the I-130.

Just to be clear, the I-130 is not just used for the ir1/cr1, it is also used for other categories of visas, etc. But that is the petition that they will use to determine that you are eligible for the process and the identify exactly which visa type your case qualifies for.

As of now plan for about 12-14 months from when you first file the I-130 until the visa is issued and your husband can enter. Currently it is taking about 6-8 months for the I-130 to be approved. Then it will take about 3-4 months to get through the nvc. And finally about one more month to get to the interview. Depending on the consulate the visa may be issued within a week or two of the interview, unless they have lots of additional background checks that must be done (administrative processing) but I don't think that Uruguay is one of those countries that typically takes a long time. Of course every case is different and there are many variables that will impact the exact time for your case, but that should give you an idea of a typical case.

And as you go trough the process be sure to fill in your timeline here on vj. As you go through the process and post questions it will help us better understand what step you are at and some of the details of your case. But also that data feeds into the processing time portion of the site that helps everyone to better understand the current processing timelines.

:time:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

Well, you are amazingly helpful! Thank you and thank you all! I now have so much more information. One last question and i will stop bugging hehe

"If" I apply for the I 129f, i would still, on 62a of the I130, state that he will be going for an interview in Uruguay right? 

Something tells me I shouldnt even bother with this, but if he can get here sooner....well...i just miss him and its a long time having to wait the time frame. (Also, they do not charge anything for the I129f while in process with I130.)

I seriously will be contemplating whether i want to send in the I129f. I need not make anything more complicated. 

Thank you!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ab333 said:

Well, you are amazingly helpful! Thank you and thank you all! I now have so much more information. One last question and i will stop bugging hehe

"If" I apply for the I 129f, i would still, on 62a of the I130, state that he will be going for an interview in Uruguay right? 

Something tells me I shouldnt even bother with this, but if he can get here sooner....well...i just miss him and its a long time having to wait the time frame. (Also, they do not charge anything for the I129f while in process with I130.)

I seriously will be contemplating whether i want to send in the I129f. I need not make anything more complicated. 

Thank you!

Honestly, I'm not 100% certain on that one. However, my assumption would be that either way he would be doing the interview in Uruguay. Otherwise, what is his basis for entering the us? The whole point of the ir1/cr1 and k3 is to be a visa to get them into the us. Therefore, the interview has to be in the foreign country.

The k3 used to be the way to go because the ir1/cr1 was really slow (several years to get approved). But now the ir1/cr1 is basically the same speed as the k3, which is why they don't really use it any more.

if you do decide to try, just realize that while the I-129 may get approved first, that doesn't guarantee that you will get the k3, often times they will administratively close the I-129 while or after they handle the I-130. Plus, with the k3 he will have a lot more restrictions when he enters because he will still have to go through the adjustment of status process. So he can't work or travel back out of the us until he has approved ead/ap (usually takes 3-4 months) or has had the green card granted.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

Yea&, honestly i dont think ill be doing the k3. It does seem like the same time frame. I, about a 2 years ago, applied for a fiance visa I129, and it was a year before we got the interview. Needless to say, that did not go through. But thats another story. We are now married and im hoping things are a bit smoother.

But again, i cant thank you enough! You are a tremendous help! 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, EG&XY said:

I am totally confused by what you were told. I can't believe that uscis told you that?

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, EG&XY said:

so I'm a bit doubtful that that is truely who you were talking to.

The provision in the LIFE Act of 2000 that created the K3 has not been repealed; because of that, USCIS personnel, their contracted call-takers, and the website itself will show the K3 as a viable option even though current procedures and practices have rendered a K3 almost unobtainable.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.