3 posts in this topic

Hi guys,  3 questions

1)  my fiancee and I plan to wed in Hawaii in September then she will return to Manila and we will file a CR-1.  She needs her passport and VISA (B1) for work and to visit me while we wait.  So it seems that it would be easier to hold off on the name change until after she arrives in the U.S. with an immigrant VISA as she would have to change names on both documents and nothing happens quickly or easily in Manila.  Are we wrong about this?

(to fend off questions about K-1 in advance, she can't afford the wait for an EAD to work as her job requires frequent travel, but we want to be together in the U.S. as soon as we can.)

2)  question 47 asks for passport number and 48 for travel document number.  Are these the same or should we put her B1 VISA number down as a the travel document?

3)  We are buying a house about 3 weeks after we marry - she is flying to the U.S. to sign closing documents with me.  For the mailing address should we use my current address or the address of the house we are buying as I will be living there by the time the CR-1 is complete unless everything goes FUBAR at closing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Shane & Len said:

1)  my fiancee and I plan to wed in Hawaii in September then she will return to Manila and we will file a CR-1.  She needs her passport and VISA (B1) for work and to visit me while we wait.  So it seems that it would be easier to hold off on the name change until after she arrives in the U.S. with an immigrant VISA as she would have to change names on both documents and nothing happens quickly or easily in Manila.  Are we wrong about this?

(to fend off questions about K-1 in advance, she can't afford the wait for an EAD to work as her job requires frequent travel, but we want to be together in the U.S. as soon as we can.)

So your fiancee plans to enter the US on her B1 visa to get married in Hawaii?

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

yes, we have checked as long as she returns to Manila before we file for the CR-1 or AOS there is nothing wrong with that.  A destination wedding essentially.  The primary purpose of the trip is for her son's birthday, and we decided a wedding in Hawaii would be a nice topper for the trip.

Edited by Shane & Len

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.