marcusa

N400 filers at Minneapolis,MN

2,267 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

@marcusa and others applied for passports for their kids on the grounds of naturalization, is having translated marriage/birth certificates (ones that we used with N-400) enough for the Department of State, or we need to go longer route with getting Apostille(s) for them?

ATTENTION!!!   Minneapolis N400 filers,  please use the link below to review others or update your status .!  Changes will be saved automatically. Best luck to all of us! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q2WooojyQKVxbF_N6bxO8muQM8QjybXZVv5QzSqDWAk/edit?usp=sharing

So you need your foreign birth certificate to get a US passport after you are naturalized?

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

So you need your foreign birth certificate to get a US passport after you are naturalized?

According to US Passport Form (included in your packet at Oath Ceremony), you need proof of US Citizenship and Government Issued ID (eg MN Drivers license). That's it.

1 minute ago, BruceW said:

According to US Passport Form (included in your packet at Oath Ceremony), you need proof of US Citizenship and Government Issued ID (eg MN Drivers license). That's it.

Thanks much for clearing that up! :)

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Just got our oath date through the online document viewer!  April 2nd at the RiverCentre.

It's surreal to be this close to the end of this ridiculous and tedious process. 

28 minutes ago, birchscott said:

Just got our oath date through the online document viewer!  April 2nd at the RiverCentre.

It's surreal to be this close to the end of this ridiculous and tedious process. 

We started our process back in December 2013 with K1 fiance visa. We are so ready to be done too.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
1 hour ago, BruceW said:

That's fine. But what about my kids? According to the same paper they need "official" translation to apply for passport.

ATTENTION!!!   Minneapolis N400 filers,  please use the link below to review others or update your status .!  Changes will be saved automatically. Best luck to all of us! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q2WooojyQKVxbF_N6bxO8muQM8QjybXZVv5QzSqDWAk/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Filya said:

That's fine. But what about my kids? According to the same paper they need "official" translation to apply for passport.

Correct, kids are different. For your drivers license, you had to show birth certificate. Kids don't have a drives license, and evidence of relationship to parents - is usually their birth certificate- since most countries in normal circumstances, register the parents with a birth certificate.  And need parents id's as well, to validate what's on the birth certificate. So generally both parents should be present with the application. It make sense that if the birth certificate is in another language, that it needs to be translated and notarized. 

They need to be very careful with kids, to make sure that one parent cannot illegally remove them to another country etc.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi @corvusheart

Congrats on your Husband successful interview.... Nope it will be 2 weeks tomorrow since the i-751 status changed "Card in production" and have still have not received it.

41 minutes ago, Shadyoak said:

Hi @corvusheart

Congrats on your Husband successful interview.... Nope it will be 2 weeks tomorrow since the i-751 status changed "Card in production" and have still have not received it.

Have you checked the myUSCIS account? His IO literally said we would see his case status change for N400 in a few days.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Hubby: Has my case status changed yet?

Me: Everyone on the Minneapolis thread on Visa Journey says it takes a little over a month.

Hubby: Wow a whole month?

LOL..

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, corvusheart said:

Have you checked the myUSCIS account? His IO literally said we would see his case status change for N400 in a few days.

Yes i did... myaccount.uscis still shows interview was scheduled (estimated time 8 months) :S

One thing I'm sort of concerned about is last year when my husband went to get his stamp in his passport they took his GC.
 At his citizenship interview when the IO asked for GC he explained how when he got the stamp they took it. And the IO looked at his stamp and said yep that's how it works now.  I heard the IO is supposed to give you then a slip that's a sworn statement saying you no longer have the physical card and you're supposed to bring they to your oath ceremony.

But he never gave him that. So I don't know what he will have to do when he goes to the ceremony.

I was hoping he'd get his new card but it sounds like you get the status update but not the card.

And I also don't know if he will have to get another stamp before the ceremony as his current stamp expires in early April.

Maybe someone on here has an idea about this?

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
44 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

One thing I'm sort of concerned about is last year when my husband went to get his stamp in his passport they took his GC.
 At his citizenship interview when the IO asked for GC he explained how when he got the stamp they took it. And the IO looked at his stamp and said yep that's how it works now.  I heard the IO is supposed to give you then a slip that's a sworn statement saying you no longer have the physical card and you're supposed to bring they to your oath ceremony.

But he never gave him that. So I don't know what he will have to do when he goes to the ceremony.

I was hoping he'd get his new card but it sounds like you get the status update but not the card.

And I also don't know if he will have to get another stamp before the ceremony as his current stamp expires in early April.

Maybe someone on here has an idea about this?

Honestly I doubt it matters, since the stamp in your husband's passport indicates the GC was taken plus its documented in the case files. But maybe you should call the support line (1 (800) 375-5283) to confirm?

As far as another stamp, are you planning to travel soon? I sure hope you don't have to go through the trouble of an InfoPass appointment just weeks away from being done with this BS. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.