melly

What is wrong with the Egyptian gov't.???!!!!!

325 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I came across this thread in another forum. I'm dearly hoping this gets worked out soon. :wacko:

Insha'allah they'll get their act together!!!!!

website link after the quote.

This message serves to inform the American community that the Consular Section of the Embassy is currently not providing the affidavit required by the Egyptian Government to authorize the marriage of a foreigner in Egypt.

The Egyptian Ministry of Justice, the authority conducting marriage in Egypt, officially notified the Embassy that it will not accept the Embassy’s form designated for that purpose as it does not fulfill the requirement stated under Egyptian law. The Government of Egypt requests the U.S. Embassy to object or approve the marriage of U.S. citizens. The U.S. government does not have legal authority to neither approve nor object to the marriage of American citizens. We understand that American citizens may be inconvenienced by this problem. The Embassy continues to pursue this with Egyptian officials.

Americans living or traveling in Egypt are encouraged to register with the U.S. Embassy in Cairo or through the State Department's travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov, so that they can obtain updated information on travel and security within Egypt.

For the latest security information, Americans should regularly monitor the Department's web site at http://travel.state.gov where the current Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, Travel Warnings, and Public Announcements can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or, for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

April 10, 2007.

US Embassy website

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Wow this is going to mean a major change in plans for many couples.

I was thinking about this last night as we were talking in chat. As far as I can tell, almost all ME/NA countries require some kind of "eligibility to marry" document for Americans to marry in their country. Now this document is often an official divorce decree or an official death certificate for a previous spouse. But for the never-married, it often amounts to simply an affidavit sworn out by the American at the U.S. consulate/embassy stating "I am free to marry", and stamped with an official stamp.

Now quite frankly, anyone could simply claim that they are free to marry and get an affidavit stamped to that effect. An affidavit is just an official way of saying -- "Yes, the person swore to this in front of an official consular employee." As they told me in Jerusalem -- "You can say anything at all -- that you are king of the world -- and we will stamp it as official -- as in yes she swore to that in front of us." (I figured this was my big chance, so I went ahead and told him well I WAS also king of the world, but he didn't actually type that on my paper. :P )

So anyway.... maybe this has become a problem for Egypt. Not sure. Maybe someone got caught lying, or maybe Egypt simply figured out that this is not really the type of document they require under their law to prove legal eligibility. The problem is, as the notice states, the U.S. government doesn't have any framework for issuing such an official "free to marry" document.

Sorry for any trouble this causes you, Melly :(

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Timeline

I was wondering the long-reaching ramifications of this as well. Its obviously not a "quick fix" situation and I would imagine this would ring true in any country requiring such a document. Could get pretty messy and I really feel for anyone for whom this has caused an issue.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm still on vacation and just logged in while waiting to chat with the hubby but I saw this and asked him about it. He seems to think that the US and Egyptian relations are getting very very strained in this past week or so because Mubarak wants his son to become president and the US would rather that the Egyptian people have a democratic process. I don't know why all of a sudden the US is in their face other than maybe the son is pro Iran or something. Who the heck knows but he seems to think this is a byproduct of this situation and that it's just the tip of the iceburg of things to come. Let's hope not. :unsure:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I'm still on vacation and just logged in while waiting to chat with the hubby but I saw this and asked him about it. He seems to think that the US and Egyptian relations are getting very very strained in this past week or so because Mubarak wants his son to become president and the US would rather that the Egyptian people have a democratic process. I don't know why all of a sudden the US is in their face other than maybe the son is pro Iran or something. Who the heck knows but he seems to think this is a byproduct of this situation and that it's just the tip of the iceburg of things to come. Let's hope not. :unsure:

You know, I wish the U.S would just butt out of other countries concerns. Really....what say does Bush have in the matter? Has Egypt ever done anything to the U.S???? He needs to be more concerned about americans and how much they dislike him.

Timeline

You know, I wish the U.S would just butt out of other countries concerns. Really....what say does Bush have in the matter? Has Egypt ever done anything to the U.S???? He needs to be more concerned about americans and how much they dislike him.

i am really so nervous about this sitiuation and dont know what we can do ,my lovely girl will come to egyt in june and we planing to marry here in egypt but its our luck that this sitiuation happend , but now i hope any advice about what we can do if this sitiuation still not fixed yet till june ,what we can do ,she coming especially for marriage and this is or plan in last 6 months ,WHAT WE CAN DO NOW :(

i am really so nervous about this sitiuation and dont know what we can do ,my lovely girl will come to egyt in june and we planing to marry here in egypt but its our luck that this sitiuation happend , but now i hope any advice about what we can do if this sitiuation still not fixed yet till june ,what we can do ,she coming especially for marriage and this is or plan in last 6 months ,WHAT WE CAN DO NOW :(

How difficult would it be to marry in a third country? Have you checked into marriage requirements in a country that both of you could travel to? I know this may an impossible solution for this case, but I thought I might through it out there anyway.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline

How difficult would it be to marry in a third country? Have you checked into marriage requirements in a country that both of you could travel to? I know this may an impossible solution for this case, but I thought I might through it out there anyway.

i just was wondering about the simple solution , what if we change our plan to k1 visa and go to marry in states , would it be better or will be more harder especially coz i heard that the k1 fiance visa is not much guranteed as k3 spouse visa ,plz any advice ,i cant think good its 19th april now and my love will come in 4june

i just was wondering about the simple solution , what if we change our plan to k1 visa and go to marry in states , would it be better or will be more harder especially coz i heard that the k1 fiance visa is not much guranteed as k3 spouse visa ,plz any advice ,i cant think good its 19th april now and my love will come in 4june

I am sure that others here on VJ going through Cario can give you a better answer about the different ways the K-1 and K-3 are handled. Under normal circumstances, either one should work the same. I know that is not always the case.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

She is a US citizen I assume.....what is her background nationality....her parents' nationalities.....are either one of her parents Egyptian?

I-130

8/07/06 mailed I-130 to VSC

8/17/06 NOA1

12/14/06 NOA2

1/24/07 sent I-824 to have I-130 forwarded to NVC

6/15/07 NVC case # assigned.............It's about time!!

9/16/07 case complete after 2 RFE's for DS230

10/9/07 Interview

10/16/07 VISA!!

I-129F

9/10/06 mailed I-129F

9/19/06 NOA1

12/15/06 NOA2

1/09/07 Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

2/12/07 Packet 3 returned to Cairo Embassy

5/6/07 Interview..........It's about time!!

ضَاقتْ فلّما استَحْكمَتْ حَلقا تها فُرِجَتْ..................وَ كِدْتُ أظنها لا تفرجُ

Timeline

yep she is USC , and her paresnts too , i think we should the k1 visa if this sitiuation didnt fix till june , but i just thought that spouse of usc is better than fiance in procing of application, but if we dont have any other solution we should use the k1 , we know eachother for 4 months ago and in june will be the first meeting between us after that she will go back to states to work on our application ,she will stay with me for 10 days , is our stiuation like this good for k1 visa or not strong yet??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

But what are her parents' nationalities.....the only reason I'm asking is because if either of her parents are Egyptian, then she can get married in Egypt wthout having to get any documents from the US Embassy there. If not, then I guess the K1 would be the way to go.

yep she is USC , and her paresnts too , i think we should the k1 visa if this sitiuation didnt fix till june , but i just thought that spouse of usc is better than fiance in procing of application, but if we dont have any other solution we should use the k1 , we know eachother for 4 months ago and in june will be the first meeting between us after that she will go back to states to work on our application ,she will stay with me for 10 days , is our stiuation like this good for k1 visa or not strong yet??
Edited by m&n

I-130

8/07/06 mailed I-130 to VSC

8/17/06 NOA1

12/14/06 NOA2

1/24/07 sent I-824 to have I-130 forwarded to NVC

6/15/07 NVC case # assigned.............It's about time!!

9/16/07 case complete after 2 RFE's for DS230

10/9/07 Interview

10/16/07 VISA!!

I-129F

9/10/06 mailed I-129F

9/19/06 NOA1

12/15/06 NOA2

1/09/07 Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

2/12/07 Packet 3 returned to Cairo Embassy

5/6/07 Interview..........It's about time!!

ضَاقتْ فلّما استَحْكمَتْ حَلقا تها فُرِجَتْ..................وَ كِدْتُ أظنها لا تفرجُ

Timeline

My guess is that since you have only "known" each other for 4 months, the embassy would feel better about issuing a k-1 after your visit together for 10 days, than a k-3.

How many people get married after knowing each other for 4 months and who haven't met in person??

It happens of course, but I think it's makes more sense to show that you had a visit and met after 4 months and decided to get engaged and file for the k-1.

Just my opinion of course.

Though you can't do k-3 anyways so it's not much of an issue.

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Timeline

i am really appricate your advices , and yep no one of her parents is egyptian , but we love each other so much and dont want any thing to be problem for us ,since we face this problem about we cant marry in egypt if didnt fix till june we start think about the k1 visa to be able to marry in states , but we afraid we face any problem in k1 visa ,like this we cant ever marry lol, and what we cant understand is how they change the rules sudenlley after spending all this time in issueing affidafits for marriage from the embassy in egypt ,it looks strange though , so what we should do when she come to egypt to make our k1 visa easy when we send our application coz i know they have strict rules in proofing relationships between couples .