autonaut

August 2017 AOS Filers

3,270 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Faby&Jaz said:

So my friends, I wanted to update y'all that we finally received our RFIE from USCIS. My husband's birth certificate was translated from Arabic to English, apparently it is not in the correct format. Therefore, USCIS is asking us to re-translate it and send a copy of the original to them. I find that odd because I paid $60 dollars to get it translated by a professional translator. I was not content to get this letter, yet I am thankful that it is not something major and a simple fix. I will probably send the paperwork tomorrow via express mail. The letter also states that they will make the final decision after they receive this information. So we will see what happens from there. No work permit still lol :D Prayers for everyone :) 

Oh man. So many RFIEs are so weird. We'll reach there in the end! 

August 2017 - June 2018 AoS

April 2020 - January 2021 RoC

Jan 2022 - September 2022 Citizenship

2 hours ago, Faby&Jaz said:

So my friends, I wanted to update y'all that we finally received our RFIE from USCIS. My husband's birth certificate was translated from Arabic to English, apparently it is not in the correct format. Therefore, USCIS is asking us to re-translate it and send a copy of the original to them. I find that odd because I paid $60 dollars to get it translated by a professional translator. I was not content to get this letter, yet I am thankful that it is not something major and a simple fix. I will probably send the paperwork tomorrow via express mail. The letter also states that they will make the final decision after they receive this information. So we will see what happens from there. No work permit still lol :D Prayers for everyone :) 

This almost seems like the norm now. My RFIE was also for something that was originally submitted as well. The best thing you can do is just to comply and if they are satisfied with the RFIE you'll get your permit soon.

Just now, dt101 said:

This almost seems like the norm now. My RFIE was also for something that was originally submitted as well. The best thing you can do is just to comply and if they are satisfied with the RFIE you'll get your permit soon.

Yup they asked for stuff we'd originally submitted too. 

Btw, I asked the ombudsman to expedite my case and they emailed back just saying "Thank you for your email. This request has been shared with the analyst attached to the record." 

So I don't know if they'll actually expedite it... did you hear anything back from the Ombudsman after that? Do they tell you if they agree to expedite it, or when they reach out to USCIS?

1 minute ago, Hamilton said:

Yup they asked for stuff we'd originally submitted too. 

Btw, I asked the ombudsman to expedite my case and they emailed back just saying "Thank you for your email. This request has been shared with the analyst attached to the record." 

So I don't know if they'll actually expedite it... did you hear anything back from the Ombudsman after that? Do they tell you if they agree to expedite it, or when they reach out to USCIS?

Yea I had the same response. I think they likely will send out a note to USCIS, it seems they kinda work in the background nudging things along. They didn't tell me when they reached out to USCIS but if they don't hear back from USCIS within like 3 weeks of the analyst reviewing it, they send a follow up and let you know. I think you should definitely exhaust your options and even have your senator follow up also.

Just now, dt101 said:

Yea I had the same response. I think they likely will send out a note to USCIS, it seems they kinda work in the background nudging things along. They didn't tell me when they reached out to USCIS but if they don't hear back from USCIS within like 3 weeks of the analyst reviewing it, they send a follow up and let you know. I think you should definitely exhaust your options and even have your senator follow up also.

Thanks! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they do nudge USCIS. We did email my senator's office again, but they don't respond by email/phone - we've only ever gotten one letter in the MAIL from them. So it's kind of like shouting into the void... don't know if they've gotten it or not. 

Have you gotten your physical card yet? 

3 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Thanks! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they do nudge USCIS. We did email my senator's office again, but they don't respond by email/phone - we've only ever gotten one letter in the MAIL from them. So it's kind of like shouting into the void... don't know if they've gotten it or not. 

Have you gotten your physical card yet? 

Unfortunately I haven't gotten my card yet, but I got the approval notice today! So I'm happy about that. I'm going to be calling them to get the tracking number of the card to check up on it. Which Senator did you contact from New York? 

1 minute ago, dt101 said:

Unfortunately I haven't gotten my card yet, but I got the approval notice today! So I'm happy about that. I'm going to be calling them to get the tracking number of the card to check up on it. Which Senator did you contact from New York? 

Chuck Schumer. I recently heard that Gillibrand's office might be more responsive, but now that I've already started the process with Schumer, it feels weird to also contact her office.

Are you in NY too? 

1 minute ago, Hamilton said:

Chuck Schumer. I recently heard that Gillibrand's office might be more responsive, but now that I've already started the process with Schumer, it feels weird to also contact her office.

Are you in NY too? 

Gillibrand's office is much more responsive, as her office does correspondence through email in my experience. And I've once even received an update via email within one day. Very quick. Yes I'm also applying from New York.

Just now, dt101 said:

Gillibrand's office is much more responsive, as her office does correspondence through email in my experience. And I've once even received an update via email within one day. Very quick. Yes I'm also applying from New York.

Oh man. I wonder if it's worth contacting her office at this late date. I'd have to do the privacy release thing all over again and snail mail it, which also takes time... :/ 

Just now, Hamilton said:

Oh man. I wonder if it's worth contacting her office at this late date. I'd have to do the privacy release thing all over again and snail mail it, which also takes time... :/ 

Gillibrand's office actually asked me to email the release form to them. They don't seem to operate via mail. At least when I did it, everything was done purely through email

Gillibrand's office actually asked me to email the release form to them. They don't seem to operate via mail. At least when I did it, everything was done purely through email

Oh weird. I'm looking at the online form now, and it says "Please print, sign, date, and mail it to the address shown on the document." 

So I figured there wasn't an email option. Do you think I should email her? You said you contacted another Congressperson as well? 

3 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Oh weird. I'm looking at the online form now, and it says "Please print, sign, date, and mail it to the address shown on the document." 

So I figured there wasn't an email option. Do you think I should email her? You said you contacted another Congressperson as well? 

Yes Congressman was a bit more annoying, I had to physically go to the office of my congress woman and sign the documents. I would recommend calling Gillibrand office and inquiring about it, they usually have ability to receive fax and email.

Yes Congressman was a bit more annoying, I had to physically go to the office of my congress woman and sign the documents. I would recommend calling Gillibrand office and inquiring about it, they usually have ability to receive fax and email.

Gotcha. I'll ask my wife to do that. Maybe it makes sense to give the Ombudsman/Schumer a few days to do something and ask Gillibrand if nothing happens this week. I don't want to p- off USCIS by having a million people contact them about me at once...

6 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Gotcha. I'll ask my wife to do that. Maybe it makes sense to give the Ombudsman/Schumer a few days to do something and ask Gillibrand if nothing happens this week. I don't want to p- off USCIS by having a million people contact them about me at once...

I felt the same way, are you only waiting for your AP right now? 

2 minutes ago, dt101 said:

I felt the same way, are you only waiting for your AP right now? 

I applied for the AP and EAD, but I urgently need my AP to travel in April. So I'm trying not to panic about it (but mostly failing). 

No word on the 485 in terms of the app being ready to be scheduled for an interview, but I don't really see a rush on that front. I don't know if it's reached the local office from NBC.. I'm guessing yours might have? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.