Delta7

Processing times with Russia in 2017 - Help

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Good morning, 

My girlfriend and I are planning on filing a petition for the K1 Visa within the upcoming month, however with all of the turmoil between the US and Russia (US Sanctions, and Putin recently ordering 755 American consuls to be deported by 9/1/17), we are really worrying that the processing times will spike dramatically. What is the time frame you think we should expect if we file in early/mid September? 

Has anyone gone through this process with Russia and had trouble?

Thank you so much

Just now, OutOfThisWorld said:

Have you thought about marrying in a third country, and applying for a suppose visa, instead?

I have briefly thought about that, but I'm not sure the pros v cons of that route.. I read online on a few sites that said it doesn't really speed up the process. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure, I'm a noob and never would have seen myself in a situation like I am today :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The point is, K-3 visa applications are applied for in the country where the marriage took place (for non-US marriages) or the consulate responsible for such country. So, if you are worried about possibility of slowdown at the Russian consulate, this is a way to avoid the Russian consulate.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by OutOfThisWorld

25 minutes ago, OutOfThisWorld said:

The point is, K-3 visa applications are applied for in the country where the marriage took place (for non-US marriages) or the consulate responsible for such country. So, if you are worried about possibility of slowdown at the Russian consulate, this is a way to avoid the Russian consulate.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I guess I'm confused, because if we were to get married in Russia, wouldn't we still need to get paperwork done in Russia? Or is she then able to come into the US as a spouse and stay while the green card process? I apologize for being really ignorant about this topic, I'm still trying to gather all the information on the process and options there are.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Delta7 said:

I guess I'm confused, because if we were to get married in Russia, wouldn't we still need to get paperwork done in Russia? Or is she then able to come into the US as a spouse and stay while the green card process? I apologize for being really ignorant about this topic, I'm still trying to gather all the information on the process and options there are.

That is why I wrote ‘third country’. Marry in Italy, for example, so you would go through US consulate in Italy instead of Russia.

This used to be possible; I do not know if it is still the case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

True, the loss of diplomats in Russia may slow down the processing times once the application is sent to the Russian embassy.  However, the processing time here in the US seems to be the main slow down at this point.  Our application was sent in 2 months ago to the California servicing center and still no response other than it was received.  My fiancé has spoken to other women and they have been waiting up to 4 months to find out the application was initially approved and being sent to the Russian embassy.  So my advice is to get your application in ASAP.  Who knows if the political issues between the US and Russia may be improved and the diplomats returned to their respective embassy by the time your application is forwarded to Russia for processing and setting up your fiancé's appointment with them.

As far as getting married first and then applying fo a K-3, I have read on a number of attorney's websites that specialize in immigration that a spouse visa may not be any quicker, and in fact, possibly slower.  Most of these attorneys do offer an initial free phone consultation. You might only be able to speak to their paralegal but they should be able to provide you some help.  Perhaps you should see if you can speak to someone and then decide your course of action. 

1 minute ago, Eyeguy1 said:

True, the loss of diplomats in Russia may slow down the processing times once the application is sent to the Russian embassy.  However, the processing time here in the US seems to be the main slow down at this point.  Our application was sent in 2 months ago to the California servicing center and still no response other than it was received.  My fiancé has spoken to other women and they have been waiting up to 4 months to find out the application was initially approved and being sent to the Russian embassy.  So my advice is to get your application in ASAP.  Who knows if the political issues between the US and Russia may be improved and the diplomats returned to their respective embassy by the time your application is forwarded to Russia for processing and setting up your fiancé's appointment with them.

As far as getting married first and then applying fo a K-3, I have read on a number of attorney's websites that specialize in immigration that a spouse visa may not be any quicker, and in fact, possibly slower.  Most of these attorneys do offer an initial free phone consultation. You might only be able to speak to their paralegal but they should be able to provide you some help.  Perhaps you should see if you can speak to someone and then decide your course of action. 

Thank you Eyeguy1, that's what I've been researching today, is that the biggest chunk of time waiting seems to be waiting for the NOA-2 (correct me if I'm wrong). Once this gets approved, things seem to proceed at a steady pace in terms of the medical exam/interview. Hoping that if we file within the next month, that we could get approved by March/April for a Summer 2018 Wedding (one can dream right?)

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Delta7 said:

Thank you Eyeguy1, that's what I've been researching today, is that the biggest chunk of time waiting seems to be waiting for the NOA-2 (correct me if I'm wrong). Once this gets approved, things seem to proceed at a steady pace in terms of the medical exam/interview. Hoping that if we file within the next month, that we could get approved by March/April for a Summer 2018 Wedding (one can dream right?)

I believe you are correct. Once the NOA-2 is received, most of the government's "legwork" is apparently done.  I feel the interview at the embassy is more of a standardized process And as long as there are no obvious "red flags", the visa is issued relatively quickly.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

K3 visas are rarely granted and obsolete. You should look into CR1/IR1 spousal visa if you decide to get married. It takes 14-20 months for a spouse to immigrate to US.

Also you cannot apply for the visa and/or interview in another country even if you get married there. The only way to do so is to have legal residency/status in that country, like being a student. You cannot be a visitor there and interview at their consulate.

I am sorry to hear about all your troubles, and wish you good luck going forward in this process.

K-1, AOS, ROC, Citizenship timeline below:

Spoiler

Met in school summer of 2011, started dating May 2012, engaged June 2016

07/15/2016 - Sent K-1 visa documents                    04/20/2017 - Mailed AOS package                                              09/16/2019 - Mailed ROC package to wrong center

07/19/2016 - NOA1 (California Service Center)         04/23/2017 - AOS package delivered                                          09/19/2019 - Printed everything again and mailed it correctly

09/02/2016 - NOA2 (45 days)                                 04/29/2017 - AOS text and email notifications                             09/23/2019 - ROC Case Was Received

09/15/2016 - NVC case number assigned                 05/04/2017 - NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP                            12/02/2019 - Biometrics Appointment (Got notice late, missed appt)

09/29/2016 - Case is "Ready" at embassy                05/22/2017 - Biometrics taken                                                   12/09/2019 - Biometrics taken, walk-in

10/06/2016 - Got an interview date!                        06/14/2017 - Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for Interview            12/10/2019 - Fingerprint Review Was Completed

11/06/2016 - Scheduled the medical!                       08/03/2017 - Interview is Scheduled                                           04/22/2020 - Case Was Received At My Local Office

12/06/2016 - Medical done!                                    09/06/2017 - Interview time!                                                     05/22/2020 - New Card Is Being Produced

12/12/2016 - Interview done! Visa approved!            09/06/2017 - RFE for (lost) medical                                            05/26/2020 - Case Was Approved

12/16/2016 - Visa issued                                         09/19/2017 - New medical submitted (in person)                         05/30/2020 - Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

12/19/2016 - Passport with visa, envelope in hand     09/26/2017 - New Card is Being Produced (online update)                                       (First class mail, tracking provided)                     

01/11/2017 - POE!!!                                               09/29/2017 - Received I-797 Approval Notice                                                  06/28/2020 - N-400 application window opens!

04/06/2017 - Married                                                                              Card Was Mailed to Me                                                 07/13/2020 - N-400 application submitted!

10/04/2017 - Green card in hand!                                                                  11/23/2020 - Called for a service request

12/04/2020 - Biometrics scheduled online notice

12/31/2020 - Biometrics appointment

06/24/2021 - Interview Notice (interview on 7/27/2021)

Timeline
On 04.08.2017 at 6:07 PM, Delta7 said:

Good morning, 

My girlfriend and I are planning on filing a petition for the K1 Visa within the upcoming month, however with all of the turmoil between the US and Russia (US Sanctions, and Putin recently ordering 755 American consuls to be deported by 9/1/17), we are really worrying that the processing times will spike dramatically. What is the time frame you think we should expect if we file in early/mid September? 

Has anyone gone through this process with Russia and had trouble?

Thank you so much

hello,

do not have any doubts, if you are in love and have serious intent , apply for K1.  CR1 is SLOWER. Russian embassy works fine, fast, do not worry. The slow time will be between noa1 and noa2, really slow. but you eveything is OK with documents you will be in average processing time! we did everything by ourselves, no attorneys, its not hard) just fill the forms very attentievely and go on! i have my interview at 25 august, we are february 2017 filers, read our thread if you are interested. if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask, we will help you.GOOD LUCK)

PS: good if your girlfriend has usa touristic visa...actually you can try to apply for this before you apply for k1, so she can visit you in the USA and see the country, and this is very important if you want to share life together)

I-129F Sent :                 2017-02-16

I-129F NOA1 :               2017-02-22

I-129F RFE(s) :              2017-06-15

RFE Reply(s) :               2017-06-20

APPROVED :                  2017-07-07  (135 days)

NOA2 hard copy:           2017-07-13

NVC received:                2017-07-19 (12 days)

NVC case # received:    2017-07-19

Left NVC:                    2017-07-22

Consulate received:    2017-07-24

Interview date:              2017-08-31 APPROVED

Visa in hands:                2017-09-23

US entry:                         2017-09-30

Wedding:                        2017-10-21 Las Vegas!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 28.08.2017 at 6:15 PM, Delta7 said:

Thank you! Do you still think that this process will be quick? Even after Putin ordered 400+ US consulate workers to be deported back to the states? 

I don't know if that's still relevant for you but things look just fine. US embassy in Russia delayed non-immigrant visas and at this point they include k-1/k-3 in immigration type of visas. So apply for k1 as it's the fastest option. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.