17 posts in this topic

A few hours after my naturalization ceremony, having returned home, I received a call from apparently USCIS. They were checking to see if I have attended the oath ceremony. I thought of it as a courtesy call from USCIS. Has anyone else gotten such a call? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's kind of weird...never heard of that before.

They know you would have attended the oath ceremony when you presented the oath letter to them upon entering the building, and then also when you picked up your naturalization certificate at the end before leaving the building.

Maybe it was an automated survey of some kind they were doing by phone?

Congrats on your Naturalization!  I'm in NY as well...can I ask what your timeline was from biometrics to being interviewed?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

11 hours ago, Going through said:

That's kind of weird...never heard of that before.

They know you would have attended the oath ceremony when you presented the oath letter to them upon entering the building, and then also when you picked up your naturalization certificate at the end before leaving the building.

Maybe it was an automated survey of some kind they were doing by phone?

Congrats on your Naturalization!  I'm in NY as well...can I ask what your timeline was from biometrics to being interviewed?

I actually became naturalized a couple of years ago. It took 8 months from filing at end of October to Naturalization at end of June. The interview was held in March and it took two more months to get a full approval. In speaking with a couple of naturalized acquaintances last week I mentioned this phone call I got (actual person at the other end not automated ) and neither of them have gotten one. In retrospect I had filed a complaint letter with the officer's supervisor and a couple of other offices a month after the naturalization interview so maybe they wanted to check on me. On myuscis the last update has been "we mailed your oath ceremony letter". It would be nice if they would update that account with a big pop up of an American flag and an animation saying "congratulations you are now an American" :). 

Timeline

8 months from filing to Naturalization is really good for NY!

Now you have me curious....may I ask what the complaint was about?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

43 minutes ago, Going through said:

In brief it had to do with the manner in which the interview was conducted by the officer. I don't like to open this box of bad memories but it was a pretty unpleasant and dehumanizing experience. A word of advice: make sure you bring copies of all the documents you submitted for your naturalization, and then some. It may very well be that you won't need them and you will sail straight through, or it may be you get an officer who simply refuses to look through the application she/he has in front of them, and asks you to supply random things on the spot. That or 'you can come another day'. 

I sent a complaint letter a month after the interview, and the next month I received notice of the oath being scheduled. I don't know if the letter helped in any way, or if it ended up being the cause for that phone call. Again it's been a while and did not think much of it. Had it not been for a casual talk with other naturalized folks, I wouldn't have bothered asking on this forum. 

Timeline
Just now, OnceaTexan said:

In brief it had to do with the manner in which the interview was conducted by the officer. I don't like to open this box of bad memories but it was a pretty unpleasant and dehumanizing experience. A word of advice: make sure you bring copies of all the documents you submitted for your naturalization, and then some. It may very well be that you won't need them and you will sail straight through, or it may be you get an officer who simply refuses to look through the application she/he has in front of them, and asks you to supply random things on the spot. That or 'you can come another day'. 

I sent a complaint letter a month after the interview, and the next month I received notice of the oath being scheduled. I don't know if the letter helped in any way, or if it ended up being the cause for that phone call. Again it's been a while and did not think much of it. Had it not been for a casual talk with other naturalized folks, I wouldn't have bothered asking on this forum. 

I understand not wanting to delve into it.

Being in NY, one of my fears is the "New York Attitude" when I get infront of an IO.

Although, then again, when I was doing my AOS the lady was extremely pleasant....so you never know, I guess.

Yes---I've been preparing documents like crazy and even sending away for ones I probably won't even need but getting "just in case" from my home country of Canada.  At the very least, during my N400 interview, everything in my life I ever had to disclose to USCIS was already disclosed during my i-485 interview back in 2005...so they shouldn't be too surprised (I hope).

I'm happy that you achieved Naturalization nonetheless, and I wish you well :) 

3 minutes ago, Going through said:

I understand not wanting to delve into it.

Being in NY, one of my fears is the "New York Attitude" when I get infront of an IO.

Although, then again, when I was doing my AOS the lady was extremely pleasant....so you never know, I guess.

Yes---I've been preparing documents like crazy and even sending away for ones I probably won't even need but getting "just in case" from my home country of Canada.  At the very least, during my N400 interview, everything in my life I ever had to disclose to USCIS was already disclosed during my i-485 interview back in 2005...so they shouldn't be too surprised (I hope).

I'm happy that you achieved Naturalization nonetheless, and I wish you well :) 

I actually had a lawyer present at the interview. It may be worth the investment for some extra peace of mind, even though it may also raise a red flag as in (why do you need a lawyer?). The very same lawyer told me not long ago it was good I applied for naturalization when I did rather than in the current climate. Good luck! Let me know if you get a call after naturalization. :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Going through said:

Im also waiting for my oath ceremony. Im schedule to do in Boston july 27,2017. also took me 7 months from start to finish... 

• 06/19/2017
    sign_icon.png

Your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization , was placed in line for oath ceremony scheduling.

• 04/25/2017
    sign_icon.png

We scheduled an interview for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization .

• 03/06/2017
    sign_icon.png

We are scheduling your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization , for an interview.

• 02/07/2017
    sign_icon.png

We scheduled you for a fingerprint appointment.

• 01/26/2017
    sign_icon.png

We received your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization .

Good luck to all

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I also have a question. I have 2 green cards. one  with a 2 years validation ( expired ) and another with a 10 years still good.

im attending my oath ceremony thursday july 27 in Boston. should I bring both green cards or just the one still valid?

thank you

26 minutes ago, Rodrigo Macedo said:

I also have a question. I have 2 green cards. one  with a 2 years validation ( expired ) and another with a 10 years still good.

im attending my oath ceremony thursday july 27 in Boston. should I bring both green cards or just the one still valid?

thank you

Based on what I read on various forums it is a good idea to keep the 2 year old one even though they suggest to "bring all the documents USCIS has issued in the past" because according to them you would not need them since you become an American. In my humble opinion, given that the US keeps deporting its own citizens (https://news.vice.com/article/the-us-keeps-mistakenly-deporting-its-own-citizens) , I feel any naturalized citizen should safeguard and preserve any documents that they received and that prove they have been through the naturalization process. I did surrender my 10 year old card but nothing else. 

2 hours ago, Rodrigo Macedo said:

thank you

My hubby naturalized in 2011 and he had to bring all his green cards, current and expired ones, they took it at the oath ceremony, so I recommend you to bring both of them

2 hours ago, OnceaTexan said:

Based on what I read on various forums it is a good idea to keep the 2 year old one even though they suggest to "bring all the documents USCIS has issued in the past" because according to them you would not need them since you become an American. In my humble opinion, given that the US keeps deporting its own citizens (https://news.vice.com/article/the-us-keeps-mistakenly-deporting-its-own-citizens) , I feel any naturalized citizen should safeguard and preserve any documents that they received and that prove they have been through the naturalization process. I did surrender my 10 year old card but nothing else. 

You have to turn in your green card on the day of ur oath, it not an option!

1 hour ago, Lela37 said:

You have to turn in your green card on the day of ur oath, it not an option!

This!!!

N-400

Eligible: 12/03/2016

Day 00    12/12     Mailed application

Day 01    12/13     Application received

Day 03    12/15     Credit card charged

Day 08    12/20     Text/Email Acceptance

Day 15     12/27     NOA in the mail. Priority date: December 13

Day 16     12/28    Biometrics Scheduled Notification

Day 22     01/03    Biometrics Notice Received

Day 30     01/11    Biometrics Appointment

Day 179  06/09     In line for interview

Day 184  06/14     Received e-mail notification interview has been scheduled

Day 187  06/17     Interview letter received ( July 19)

Day 192  06/22     Interview date changed to June 23 upon request

Day 193  06/23     Interviewed at San Antonio field office; APPROVED!! 

Day 197  06/27    Email notification. Oath letter has been mailed.

Day 200  06/30    Oath letter received. Scheduled for July 27th

Day 227  07/27        I'm a US CITIZEN 

Day 232  08/01    Updated Drivers license security with new name and Citizenship ( TX DL with new name received 08/11)

Day 232  08/01   Updated Social security with new name and Citizenship (Social security card received 08/07)

Day 232  08/01   PASSPORT (Routine PP received 08/12)

4 hours ago, OnceaTexan said:

Most of the people in that article are people who seem to have had somewhat complicated cases. Some didn't even know they were United States citizens. 

I'd be curious to know where most of these people are from. (state wise) 

I don't think people who live far from a border are going to have too many problems. Get a United States passport as soon as you can. 

Obviously their are some exceptions in that article, but most aren't things any of us would ever go through. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.