Stylereveal

New here, need a bit of guidance on marrying a US citizen

7 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi All,

I have been reading threads, but haven't found a current one on this topic.

I'm a Canadian citizen and I plan to marry a US citizen this fall in the US. I will return to Canada and we will start the spousal visa process, is this allowed?

I don't want to commit visa fraud. 

Also traveling back and forth for a week or 2 every few months while in progress, as I read in another thread should not be too much of a hassle?

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You are doing it exactly right.  It's only Visa fraud if you didn't return to Canada and attempted to stay in the US during the entire process.  You are also allowed to travel back and forth during the process, just make sure you bring plenty on proof of ties to Canada (letters from your employer stating that they expect you back on a certain date or rent or lease agreements showing you must return to continue paying your bills) Hope this helps!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

I think you need a K1 visa to come into the US if your intention is to enter and get married, even if you go home after the wedding.  If you are entering for another purpose and then decide to get married here that is ok, but if you know you will be getting married and are entering on some other visa than a K1 you are committing fraud the way I understand it.  If I am wrong maybe someone else can clarify.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Bandt said:

I think you need a K1 visa to come into the US if your intention is to enter and get married, even if you go home after the wedding.  If you are entering for another purpose and then decide to get married here that is ok, but if you know you will be getting married and are entering on some other visa than a K1 you are committing fraud the way I understand it.  If I am wrong maybe someone else can clarify.

This is completely wrong. The K1 is only needed to come get married with intent to stay. There is no fraud at all to enter with the intent to get married. The fraud only comes if they plan to stay after marriage before entering. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would be very careful about entering the US with the intention of marrying a US citizen. If the border got wind of it they will ask a lot of questions about whether you are really coming back. Make sure to bring proof of ties and reasons you will be coming back just in case they ask. Keep your answers brief in hopes you don't trigger a secondary inspection and further scrutiny. When asked for the purpose of your trip say you are on a vacation. The border is really paranoid about potential immigrants who will not leave.

Edited by acidrain

I didn't have any problems coming to marry my husband as a visitor. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.