TriloByte

K1: London Embassy: Scheduling Interview: Options

44 posts in this topic

My fiancee is scheduling her interview for our K1 visa at the UK embassy and has a choice between these options. Which should she choose?

Please select the condition that applies to you:

1. I have received a Consular interview appointment date from the National Visa Center (NVC), Kentucky Consular Center (KCC), or the Consular Section and I have been instructed to register my appointment on this site.
  2. I have received a letter from the consular section with instructions to register or schedule a K visa appointment.
  3. I have received a letter from the consular section with instructions to schedule an immigrant visa appointment.
  4. I am a returning U.S. Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) and require re-entry authorization to the United States.

I think it's option 2. Is option 2 correct for a K1 application in the UK? She has not received a letter yet, but NVC changed to "ready" 2 days ago. I am assuming that we can go ahead and choose the correct option above and proceed with scheduling and then the letter should be arriving at her physical address soon?

Edited by TriloByte

Click here to see my detailed timeline and experience.

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 Received Date :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

RFIE (Birth Cert, Translation)

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Distance is to love like wind is to fire… it extinguishes the small and kindles the great!

Yes, it's 2. 

Option 1 is for spouses going through the NVC, option 3 is for DCF and other embassy cases, option 4 is for returning residents. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Just now, JFH said:

Yes, it's 2. 

Option 1 is for spouses going through the NVC, option 3 is for DCF and other embassy cases, option 4 is for returning residents. 

Thank you! And can we can proceed even if she doesn't have a physical letter? NVC states ready as of 2 days ago.

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Distance is to love like wind is to fire… it extinguishes the small and kindles the great!

Not sure about that as I didn't do a K-1. I can't imagine you need to have the physical letter in your hand to schedule an appointment online. How would they even know? Unless they haven't sent the letter yet or there is a reference number on the letter that you need. I'd say try it and see. Someone reported yesterday that there are no August appointments left already (but that was for a DCF spouse visa appointment -  might be different for K-1). 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

14 minutes ago, GazLisa said:

Would it be better to schedule visa interview first then medical 

They have to be completed in a specific order. 

1. DS160
  2. Collect all the documents required for steps 3, 4 and 5
  3. Schedule medical
  4. Complete the readiness form
  5. Schedule the interview

The question you will run into is that it says when scheduling the interview that you need to select from the options above. You will select option 2, but based on the information I have gathered, many never receive the physical letter from the consulate, and it's apparently not required anyway. Seems that the website needs to be updated.

I have a lawyer hired that can't or will not help us these things and has been making sneering comments to us in e-mails. I basically fired him this morning. His law firm may be the worst business I have ever dealt with.

Edited by TriloByte

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

3 minutes ago, TriloByte said:

They have to be completed in a specific order. 

1. DS160
  2. Collect all the documents required for steps 3, 4 and 5
  3. Schedule medical
  4. Complete the readiness form
  5. Schedule the interview

The question you will run into is that it says when scheduling the interview that you need to select from the options above. You will select option 2, but based on the information I have gathered, many never receive the physical letter from the consulate, and it's apparently not required anyway. Seems that the website needs to be updated.

Ok I'll follow above instructions,I completed my ds160 3 weeks ago and submitted it,might have to redo it as I misesed out a question 😩 Hope this don't affect anything lol 

7 minutes ago, GazLisa said:

Ok I'll follow above instructions,I completed my ds160 3 weeks ago and submitted it,might have to redo it as I misesed out a question 😩 Hope this don't affect anything lol 

Yes, same here on hope, but with a more general focus. This process and its instructions seem to be halfassed thought out and cobbled together in a big cluster f. It's better than USCIS, but that's not saying much.

Edited by TriloByte

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

5 minutes ago, TriloByte said:

Yes, same here on hope, but with a more general focus. This process and its instructions seem to be halfassed thought out and cobbled together in a big cluster f. It's better than USCIS, but that's not saying much.

We actually called uscis on a number of times occasions before sending off our applications for help on filling out forms and they were always very polite and super helpful each time 🤔

9 minutes ago, GazLisa said:

We actually called uscis on a number of times occasions before sending off our applications for help on filling out forms and they were always very polite and super helpful each time 🤔

You are a rare one then :) 

With USCIS, each time I called, they were extremely rude to me and provided no help at all. 

Then, the overwhelming majority of the people on here seem to have had the same experiences as me, with USCIS.

The NVC and embassy have been extremely polite and helpful on the phone, but the process itself and the instructions online need much refining if not a complete overhaul, IMO.

Edited by TriloByte

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

6 minutes ago, TriloByte said:

You are a rare one then :) 

With USCIS, each time I called, they were extremely rude to me and provided no help at all. 

Then, the overwhelming majority of the people on here seem to have had the same experiences as me, with USCIS.

The NVC and embassy have been extremely polite and helpful on the phone, but the process itself and the instructions online need much refining if not a complete overhaul, IMO.

I'm one of a kind lol 😂 Once it's all done and I'm on the plane with my one way ticket and visa in hand I'll be a super happy British boy 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I think the instructions are written for people who do not do forums. They want you to get your letter from London which refers you to their web instructions and provides your LND number.  By getting the letter, your case is already in the IV Unit and logged in and ready to begin. 

So on to Step 1- apply for the visa. DS-160 

Then (2) gather your documents. So you get your police certificate as instructed and that falls into place with having it to take to the medical exam. And you already waited for the letter which the med people want you to bring as well.

When you start messing with the order and rushing steps willy nilly, you may upset the general flow. Maybe it works out or maybe a DS-160 submitted before your case even made it to NVC jacks around with whatever generates the letter from London. And maybe you are locked out of the interview booking because something went haywire in your need for speed.  Your luck will vary, but don't blame the system when you invent your own steps and order and it gets messed up.

There is plenty of information to be found if you will use a computer instead of a phone, and click every link to read every detail on their website. The Visa Fee link. The FAQs. Also understand the terminology and that there are many different visas with different processes. Spouses do most of their submission and fee paying to NVC. Their fees are different. Their appointment is picked for them.  But DCF spouses who skipped the NVC are more like K1s in that they submit their application online (DS-260), take all documents to the interview, book their appointment themselves.  But they pay in person on the day. So stay in your lane and don't get confused by the other visa procedures or the people who reply to your post with an answer that doesn't even apply to you. 

Try to read all instructions from the source. Heck read it four times.  Even the online submission webpages have help screens. 

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

I think the instructions are written for people who do not do forums. They want you to get your letter from London which refers you to their web instructions and provides your LND number.  By getting the letter, your case is already in the IV Unit and logged in and ready to begin. 

Then (2) gather your documents. So you get your police certificate as instructed and that falls into place with having it to take to the medical exam. And you already waited for the letter which the med people want you to bring as well.

When you start messing with the order and rushing steps willy nilly, you may upset the general flow. Maybe it works out or maybe a DS-160 submitted before your case even made it to NVC jacks around with whatever generates the letter from London. And maybe you are locked out of the interview booking because something went haywire in your need for speed.  Your luck will vary, but don't blame the system when you invent your own steps and order and it gets messed up.

There is plenty of information to be found if you will use a computer instead of a phone, and click every link to read every detail on their website. The Visa Fee link. The FAQs. Also understand the terminology and that there are many different visas with different processes. Spouses do most of their submission and fee paying to NVC. Their fees are different. Their appointment is picked for them.  But DCF spouses who skipped the NVC are more like K1s in that they submit their application online (DS-260), take all documents to the interview, book their appointment themselves.  But they pay in person on the day. So stay in your lane and don't get confused by the other visa procedures or the people who reply to your post with an answer that doesn't even apply to you. 

Try to read all instructions from the source. Heck read it four times.  Even the online submission webpages have help screens. 

But if we have our LND number and I check NVC and it says READY, does that not mean what it says?

U.S. Department of State
IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION
Ready
Immigrant Visa Case Number: LND2017XXXXXX 01 LND
Case Created: 29-Jun-2017
Case Last Updated: 06-Jul-2017

Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have been notified of your interview appointment. Additional information about how Immigrant Visa interview appointments are scheduled can be found at:http://nvc.state.gov/interview 
For more information, please visit TRAVEL.STATE.GOV.

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

That tracker is maybe the least dependable thing you can pin your decisions on because it's going to say the same thing after you have already been to the interview. It is generic, worldwide, all consulates, applies to many kinds of visas, and not really specific to London. It is not the London instructions. It's a Dept of State contracted system.

Sure you can carry on and do your own thing. Say you have your letter of instruction, when you don't . Send your readiness even if you aren't ready because you don't have the I-134 yet. If it lets you in to book an interview, then you are in.  The computer doesn't know if you are telling the truth or not. Then just hope it all falls into place nicely with no hiccups, which it can.

Since you have read all the K1 info on the London website by now, you saw their slide show on how to make the appointment, right?

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/USAinUK/us-fiance-visas-how-to-schedule-a-k1-visa-interview-in-the-united-kingdom

Edited by Wuozopo

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I hope not regarding ds160 now as I did it before NVC receive case ☹️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.