Melissa19886

Denied naturalization

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello guys, 

I just received my denial letter for my naturalization. The reason however makes no sense, I lived in Chicago since moving here from Ghana and went to Ohio for college. I applied for my citizen using my Chicago address. I got denied based on the fact that I hadn't lived in Chicago 3 months prior to applying for my naturalization. There were so many errors I my denial letter one being that they said the college I went to was my job . I'm so sad and confused and thinking of getting lawyer to appeal . PleAss advise. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Melissa19886 said:

Hello guys, 

I just received my denial letter for my naturalization. The reason however makes no sense, I lived in Chicago since moving here from Ghana and went to Ohio for college. I applied for my citizen using my Chicago address. I got denied based on the fact that I hadn't lived in Chicago 3 months prior to applying for my naturalization. There were so many errors I my denial letter one being that they said the college I went to was my job . I'm so sad and confused and thinking of getting lawyer to appeal . PleAss advise. 

So were you living in Ohio in the past 3 months?

1 hour ago, Melissa19886 said:

Hello guys, 

What date did you move here from Ghana?  What dates were you at your Chicago residency?  Where did you live when going to college in Ohio, and what were those dates?  What was your legal status throughout all these dates?  What date did you apply for citizenship?  

Were these dates and addresses listed properly on the application?

Provide these answers and I can probably better help you.

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 hours ago, Bugs said:

What date did you move here from Ghana?  What dates were you at your Chicago residency?  Where did you live when going to college in Ohio, and what were those dates?  What was your legal status throughout all these dates?  What date did you apply for citizenship?  

Were these dates and addresses listed properly on the application?

Provide these answers and I can probably better help you.

I moved from Ghana in 2000. I was due to apply for my citizenship. I moved for college in 2012  and graduated last April which I moved back home( Chicago)  in April. I applied in July. I lived in Columbus Ohio while in college there. Yes I listed everything properly on the application. Thank you 

7 hours ago, mcdull said:

So were you living in Ohio in the past 3 months?

No I had moved back to Chicago 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Melissa19886 said:

I moved from Ghana in 2000. I was due to apply for my citizenship. I moved for college in 2012  and graduated last April which I moved back home( Chicago)  in April. I applied in July. I lived in Columbus Ohio while in college there. Yes I listed everything properly on the application. Thank you 

Must be a USCIS error, refile then. You could efile too 

1 hour ago, Melissa19886 said:

Thanks, but I'll need exact dates.  Also, were you a legal resident the entire time from your arrival from Ghana to the present?  And did you spend any of that time outside of the US?  If so, when and how long?

Posting the exact letter verbatim may help.  Omit the personal info such as name and case number etc.

barata-gif-3.gif

5 hours ago, Melissa19886 said:

Why were you due to apply for citizenship?

AOS

03/08/2014 (Day 000) AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox including - I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131
05/12/2014 (Day 060) Successful walk-in biometrics completed at Varick ST ASC

05/14/2014 (Day 062) Received text and e-mail notifications that I-485 status updated to "Testing and Interview"

07/25/2014 (Day 135) Went in for interview - was fairly straightforward

08/02/2014 (Day 143) Green Card in hand

ROC

05/24/2016 (Day 000) ROC package sent to VSC

06/24/2016 (Day 031) Early Walk-in biometrics completed

10/06/2016 (Day 135) Got I-551 stamp in passport

05/01/2017 (Day 342) ROC Approved - didn't get notification, hard copy received 05/05? 

05/15/2017 (Day 356) Received 10Y Green Card in Mail

N400

05/24/2017 (Day 000) N400 package sent to Dallas/Lewisville Lockbox

06/09/2017 (Day 016) Received biometrics appointment notice for 06/20/2017, Early walk-in on 06/12

11/13/2018 (Day 538) In-line for interview

11/27/2018 (Day 552) Interview scheduled for 01/03/2019

01/03/2019 (Day 589) Interview passed at Federal Plaza and recommended for approval

16 hours ago, Melissa19886 said:

Hello guys, 

Sorry that happened. Since you have certainly been living in Chicago for at least a year now, there shouldn't be a problem with you applying again now. 

Of course that would mean paying your fee again, but hiring a lawyer to do an appeal will definitely cost more than just applying again. Clearly USCIS thought that since you had, in fact, moved to Ohio (despite considering Chicago "home") and then moved back, you didn't qualify as having lived in Chicago for 3 consecutive months immediately before applying. Did you maintain an address in Chicago during your entire time at college? If so, you might have an argument for an appeal.

If not, surely you can see where they are technically correct in denying you on that basis. It sucks, but you may just have to reapply.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

16 hours ago, Melissa19886 said:

Hello guys, 

IMHO, I think the following exception applied for OP's case:

"https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter6.html"

3. Students

An applicant who is attending an educational institution in a State or Service District other than the applicant's home residence may apply for naturalization where that institution is located, or in the State of the applicant's home residence if the applicant is financially dependent upon his or her parents at the time of filing and during the naturalization process.

Edited by f1660114

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.