EmmaW

Form I-134 Help Needed

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I am a green card lottery winner from 2018. I am trying to instruct my sponsor regarding how to complete form I-134. I am confused about item number 38. Does anyone know if my sponsor should click on "yes" and them what should she write in part 7? I saw different information in the forums, varying from "not applicable" to something like "all living expenses for an indefinite time period". Please advise if anyone knows, thank yoi.

6 minutes ago, EmmaW said:

Yes, thank you, I have read the instructions but unfortunately they do not make it clear what should be written in item 38.

The idea of the form is to show the sponsor provides you with support, if the sponsor doesn't indicate that they will be prepared to provide you with that there is little point in having it. So "do not intend" or not applicable in terms of providing any info as to what they will support you with is the same as saying they won't support you and makes the entire document worthless.

I understand that, but everywhere it says that this item applies only when sponsoring tourists and students, therefore you list all the "specific" items such as books, flights, etc. It does not apply really for the public charge issue, as the documents itself guarantees general help by the sponsor. That is why I am confused.

1 hour ago, EmmaW said:

I understand that, but everywhere it says that this item applies only when sponsoring tourists and students, therefore you list all the "specific" items such as books, flights, etc. It does not apply really for the public charge issue, as the documents itself guarantees general help by the sponsor. That is why I am confused.

Your sponsor should fill it in according to what she plans to offer you.  Will she offer you accommodation/food and board until you find a job, for example? I understand that immigration is not the usual reason for i134 but I don't think it's that difficult to figure out what she needs to put in for you when clearly things like books don't apply and instead the aim is to ensure you don't end up on welfare. No one can tell you exactly what to put in because you and your Sponsor have your own set of circumstances that may differ from someone else's. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.