jgschuck

Joint Sponsor - K1 Visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

I am still in college as well as work a few part time jobs, and I do not meet the requirements at this time to sponsor my fiance by myself. However, my mother agreed to becoming the joint/co-sponsor for us. But we do not know if this changes anything. 

Is there a special form when having a joint sponsor? Are there extra steps we should take to be careful or avoid any delays?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As long as your consulate accepts joint sponsors the needed information will be presented at interview.  The joint sponsor will bascially need to provide the same documentation as the petitioner that is listed in the K1 guide.   You should also receive the checklist of what is needed in packet 3.

Just a note:  you may want to correct your timeline as you were not transfered to California Service Center/CSC.  All I-129f petitions are sent to the the Texas lock box (which is different from the Texas Service Center/TSC) then forwarded onto the appropriate processing center.  You may see a change in your approximate adjudication date.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, LionessDeon said:

As long as your consulate accepts joint sponsors the needed information will be presented at interview.  The joint sponsor will bascially need to provide the same documentation as the petitioner that is listed in the K1 guide.   You should also receive the checklist of what is needed in packet 3.

Just a note:  you may want to correct your timeline as you were not transfered to California Service Center/CSC.  All I-129f petitions are sent to the the Texas lock box (which is different from the Texas Service Center/TSC) then forwarded onto the appropriate processing center.  You may see a change in your approximate adjudication date.

Thank you for that great information! I've read conflicting things and some people have said there is a different form beside the I-134 when using a joint sponsor. Is this true? If so do I still fill both out?

Thanks again

24 minutes ago, jgschuck said:

Thank you for that great information! I've read conflicting things and some people have said there is a different form beside the I-134 when using a joint sponsor. Is this true? If so do I still fill both out?

Thanks again

You will fill out a I-134, and provide any relevant information and your mother will fill out another I-134 and provide all her relevant information.

The only difference in your two different I-134's is the household count. Your mother will have to count herself, your fiance, and any other defendants (people she claims on taxes or children under 18) she may have. Where as you, most likely will only have to count yourself and your fiance.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
28 minutes ago, jgschuck said:

Hi everyone, 

I am still in college as well as work a few part time jobs, and I do not meet the requirements at this time to sponsor my fiance by myself. However, my mother agreed to becoming the joint/co-sponsor for us. But we do not know if this changes anything. 

Is there a special form when having a joint sponsor? Are there extra steps we should take to be careful or avoid any delays?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Hello,

If your mother and you live in the same household, you will have her fill out the I-864A and you will mail it in the same package as your own I-864. She will need to include her own tax transcripts (and W-2 if she filed with her husband) for the past 3 years, a letter of employment, paystubs for the past 6 months, and proof like mail addressed to her to show you both live in the same house.

If she does not live in the same household as you, she will fill her own I-864 and select the option in part one that says "I am the only joint sponsor". Then she will still include all of the evidence mentioned above. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.